question

dalfardi.s

Feb 25, 2022, 10:18:45 AM2/25/22
to Parflow

Hello everyone

I faced some hezitation and need to ask some question:

1-Apaarently it is important for parflow overland run a D4 connected river and basin mask (basin for iregular domain), I have made my mask files in also qgis and also arc map then i want to check my files to ensure D4 connected to avoid facing probably problems. I think it is a easy way to convert files to text one and check them for example for river it should be like the bellow (left) and right form is not correct and not D4 connected (diagonal connected): (I have read priorityflow repository of Laura Condon and it was a perfect guide but I have made my mask and slopes and now want to be ensured and my streams seemed not well and i want to know what parts bringed me with that).

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0                   0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0                   0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0

0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0                   0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0

0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0                   0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0

0 0 0 0 1 1 1 0                   0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0

am i right?

2. I want to ensure the correct way that i should extract data as text file from my DEM is from left bottom of raster to top right in the case of getting rows along X direction (top-down) like following for example: 1 2 3 4 ....9

7 8 9

6 5 4

1 2 3

I think it is better for me to start from left top to right bottom because my domain (basin) is from north (top) to south (bottom) and my streams directions are top to down ( I read in some slide files that it should be from left bottom to top right).

3.Is it need to changed elevation data of DEM considering aquifer thickness (based on bed rock) for instance if my aquifer thickness is 200 meter in deepest point and elevation at land surface exactly above this point is 700 meter then i should change it to 500 meter, because i define minimum Z axis at bottom of my aquifer (deepest point) and equal to 0 and then define sub-surface to surface as number of DZ and ΔZ is equal to aquifer thickness.

I hope my questions arent annoying and also in advance i appreciate any help and tips.

Best

Reed M. Maxwell

Feb 25, 2022, 10:30:25 AM2/25/22
to dalfardi.s, Parflow

Hi-

Thanks for the question.  This is what Dr. Laura Condon’s PriorityFlow package and associated publications does.  I direct you to the github repo https://github.com/lecondon/PriorityFlow article https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cageo.2019.01.020 and related examples.  This plus the parflow short course materials also on github is a great place to start.

Reed

Reed M. Maxwell, Ph.D.
Professor

High Meadows Environmental Institute

Director, Integrated GroundWater Modeling Center

Princeton University

maxwell.princeton.edu

igwmc.princeton.edu