ParFlow spinup

Zhao, Haojin

May 18, 2022, 10:10:25 AM5/18/22
to par...@googlegroups.com

Dear all,

Thanks for offering this group discussion. I would like to ask some questions regarding model spin up.

As suggested by the ParFlow blogspot, I was trying to use the  "PmE.flux.pfb" for the spinup.

-- It is normal that P is large than ET, meaning that we have a positive PmE flux. Does it mean that the water flow down into the research area or leave out of the research area?

-- The unit of this file should be [1/T]. I have a yearly PmE value and the ParFlow model runs at hourly step, and my calculations are as follows: yearly PmE  (unit:meter) ÷ 365 ÷ 24.  I am not sure if my unit is correct. Please correct me if I was wrong.

According to the manuel, the boundary fluxes are always set to 0. Does it mean that the water only leaves out of the area by runoff and ET?

Best regards,

Haojin

-- Haojin Zhao, PhD student
Institut für Bio- und Geowissenschaften – Agrosphäre (IBG-3)

Forschungszentrum Jülich

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: MinDir Volker Rieke
Karsten Beneke (stellv. Vorsitzender), Prof. Dr. Astrid Lambrecht,
Prof. Dr. Frauke Melchior

Neugierige sind herzlich willkommen am Sonntag, den 21. August 2022, von 10:00 bis 17:00 Uhr. Mehr unter: https://www.tagderneugier.de

Chen Yang

May 18, 2022, 12:00:34 PM5/18/22
to Zhao, Haojin, par...@googlegroups.com

Hi Haojin,

-- It is normal that P is large than ET, meaning that we have a positive PmE flux. Does it mean that the water flow down into the research area or leave out of the research area?

It means water into the modeling domain.

-- The unit of this file should be [1/T]. I have a yearly PmE value and the ParFlow model runs at hourly step, and my calculations are as follows: yearly PmE  (unit:meter) ÷ 365 ÷ 24.  I am not sure if my unit is correct. Please correct me if I was wrong.

The PME used as input is 3D array with values in the top layer and zero in other layers.

The values in the top layer are the multi-year averaged PME (only positive) with the unit of 1/h

You need to normalize your PME using the dz of the top layer to remove the length dimension of the unit.

For your case, for example: yearly-pme (m)/ 8760h/dz_top (m).

According to the manuel, the boundary fluxes are always set to 0. Does it mean that the water only leaves out of the area by runoff and ET?

The model of a simple natural watershed always has three patches: top, bottom, side

The side is always the divide of the watershed, so it is conceptualized as no-flux BC

The bottom is always the interface with the bedrock which is almost not permeable. So it is conceptualized as no-flux BC.

The top is as you said.

**But** you can define any boundary conditions as you need which depends on how you conceptualize your modeling domain.

Chen

--

Chen Yang (杨晨), Ph.D.

Associate Research Scholar