question

dalfa...@ut.ac.ir

Oct 3, 2022, 4:00:55 AM10/3/22
to par...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone
As you know in unconfined aquifer instead of specific storage we need to define specific yield that is larger value than specific storage, but in manual of model there is no mention of specific yield in unconfined aquifer. In the unconfined situation just need to write specific yield?
another question is there any FAQ about different steps of running models?
Best
Sadegh Dalfardi

Chen Yang

Oct 3, 2022, 9:43:52 AM10/3/22
to dalfa...@ut.ac.ir, par...@googlegroups.com

Hi Sadegh,

Specific yield is for groundwater movement in the pure unconfined aquifer considering the storage change with the water table. MODFLOW uses it. ParFlow solves saturated-unsaturated richards’ equation; water table is inside the modeling domain and not a boundary.

Not quite sure the steps you mean.

Thanks,

Chen

--

Chen Yang (楊晨), Ph.D.

Associate Research Scholar

Civil & Environmental Engineering

Princeton University

dalfa...@ut.ac.ir

Oct 3, 2022, 10:55:26 AM10/3/22
to Chen Yang, par...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chen
Thanks for your answer. I know the concept of specific yield and storage that are reaction of confined and unconfined aquifer under stress condition like withdrawals or recharge. But we need to define specific storage when we use Richards solver. I don’t understand what’s the difference in confined and unconfined aquifer. The model can discern about aquifer layers and confined and un confined aquifer based on defining geometries. But I work in unconfined aquifer and specific yield is 6 persent. I should use it as specific storage in the model?

Best
Sadegh