solid and Indicator file

Sadegh Dalfardi

Oct 18, 2021, 9:38:15 AM10/18/21
to ParFlow

Hi everyone
I am wondering how i can make an indicator file for my geometry?
and better to make indicator or solid file for better definition of my problem geometry? I can make solid file based on pf_solid_file_create.f90, Fortran code that provided by Reed Maxwell and modified by Aditi Bhaskar, but i wanna know is there the same code for indicator file?Is there any tips?
Best

Steven Smith

Oct 18, 2021, 4:45:40 PM10/18/21
to ParFlow

Hi,

A major difference between an indicator file and the solid file is the indicator file defines the geometry at a fixed discretization resolution (NX NY NZ) and then uses integers values in this 3D file to define the geometry.   The pfsolid file format is defined by triangles in the real world coordinates and maps that to the discretization you are solving on.   The pfsolid file format was setup that way so one could solve a problem on a course and fine resolution without having to rebuild the geometry input files.   Which is easier will depend

The manual has some information on the formats in section 6.  For indicator fields, we support simple ascii formats (see section 6.8)  that are the easiest to write since they don't rely on binary formats.   It is basically just the NX, NY, NZ size values and then field values all as standard ASCII text.  https://github.com/parflow/parflow/blob/master/parflow-manual.pdf

This blog post by Reed Maxwell has some information on using indicator fields:  http://parflow.blogspot.com/2015/08/using-indicator-files-as-input-to.html

Steve

Sadegh Dalfardi

Oct 20, 2021, 3:36:59 AM10/20/21
to ParFlow
Dear Stiven Smith
First thank you for your kind answer. I think i couldn't explain exactly my question sorry. I have read all that document about indicator and solid file and know the characteristics of the both, my question is after declaring my problem geometry I should define a geometry input and geometry or geometries inside it and also define patches on the domain. I wanna define an indicator input and build it based on the number of my geometries and grid cells, i wanna know if I can just define an indicator file and define patches in the script or if I need to also define a solid file for the domain and define patches based on? I think I should make the booth solid for the domain and patches located on it and indicator for inside geometries but I am not sure about it.
Best

Reed M. Maxwell

Oct 20, 2021, 7:49:38 AM10/20/21
to Sadegh Dalfardi, ParFlow

Hi Sadegh-

You will need a second geometry (e.g. a box or a solid file) for the domain.  This geometry needs to have patches already defined that are used to define the boundary conditions around the problem.  This geometry should enclose the indicator file; it can be the same size or smaller than the indicators, not bigger.

Hope this helps

Reed

Reed M. Maxwell, Ph.D.
Professor

High Meadows Environmental Institute

Director, Integrated GroundWater Modeling Center

Princeton University

maxwell.princeton.edu

igwmc.princeton.edu

aurelia yang

Oct 20, 2021, 8:52:53 AM10/20/21
to ParFlow
Hi Sagegh,

I just summarize some here:

1. it needs to define the computational grid (necessary, i.e., a geometry as box for your modeling domain)
2. it needs a solid file with patches defined if you chose the SolidFile input (optional, always defines a domain smaller than the computational grid)
3. it needs a indicator file if you chose the IndicatorField input (optional and independent on if you choose SolidFile, always the same size as the computational grid)

So for the generation of indicator file, you just need to transfer the 3D matrix (you prepared for the computational grid) to pfb file. Either code that you feel comfortable is fine.

Hope it works,

Chen