New PQME Web Site and Mailing List

Steve Piazza

Jul 1, 2009, 11:55:59 AM7/1/09
to Parents for Quality Math Education
The Board vote on June 22 did not turn out as we might have hoped, but
there is a lot to be encouraged about if you are looking for change in
the SCASD K-8 math curriculum (744 petition signers, 3 Board votes
against Investigations 2, 4 Board seats of yes-voters at stake in
November). In districts where parents have been successful in
achieving change in their math programs (and there are many such
districts across the country) it has typically taken much longer than
the two months we have been at it.

We've begun a couple of new initiatives to organize these efforts in
the future and keep parents and other SCASD taxpayers informed:

PQME.org

We have purchased the domain name "PQME.org" and set up a temporary
placeholder website there. This site will eventually replacing the
Google Groups site - it will serve as a repository for documents
(standards, curricula, reports, etc.) and perhaps it will have a
discussion board or blog where parents and others can speak out. It
is our hope that the PQME.org site will be a little more attractive
and usable than the Google Groups site (and it won't have to be
policed for spam postings) once it is fully up and running in the
fall.

PQME-L

Sign up for our new e-mail list by sending an e-mail to PQME-L-
subscrib...@lists.psu.edu (no subject or message text is
required). We'll send weekly e-mails to this list to keep you updated
on our future activities and important events, and to keep you
informed about items in the news related to the SCASD math curriculum
issue. The names of the subscribers to PQME-L will be kept 100%
confidential. Please pass these instructions for joining PQME-L along
to anyone you think will be interested.