What TERC says about supplementation

Steve Piazza

Jun 5, 2009, 7:01:52 AM6/5/09
to Parents for Quality Math Education
While we await SCASD's plan for supplementing Investigations 2 that
was promised at the May 18 Board meeting, I thought it would be
worthwhile to look at what TERC, the company that developed
Investigations, has to say about supplementation:

http://investigations.terc.edu/library/implementing/qa-1ed/can_we_supplement.cfm

TERC's answer on supplementation is muddled: Investigations is a
"complete curriculum", but some supplementation may be necessary to
match local standards. When teachers and parents have "anxiety" about
students' lack of computational abilities and automaticity with facts,
that means that Investigations should be implemented better. If a
district or school insists on supplementing, it should be with
materials that are similar to Investigations, because "providing
homework that is very different than what is happening in math class
can sometimes be confusing to students."

Steve