Kickoff for Health and Gardening educational program for low-income DC residents

jeremiah lowery

Jan 19, 2012, 10:42:53 AM1/19/12
to Parents for Better D.C. School Food
Please spread the word if you work for an organization that has low-
income to no income participants or feel free to apply if you
qualify.
---
What: Launch of Common Good City Farm’s Free Green Tomorrows program
to improve health and develop life-long skills for low-income DC
residents.
When: April 21st, 2012

This spring, Common Good City Farm will be kicking off its Green
Tomorrows program for members in our community, a unique and
innovative education initiative for low-income residents of
Washington, DC. Since 2007, Common Good City Farm has made it its
mission to provide educational opportunities for all people that help
increase food security, improve health, and contribute to
environmental sustainability.

We had over 70 applicants for last year’s Green Tomorrows program and
hope to expand this year. In conjunction with a variety of local
community organizations, the Green Tomorrows program seeks to provide
low-income individuals with hands-on educational experience in
gardening and health awareness. Over the course of six weeks,
participants will go through a series of workshops including
horticulture, nutrition, food preparation and food budgeting,
developing important skills for a productive and healthy future. With
community feedback, we are restructuring the program this year to
include a Green Tomorrows certificate of achievement for those
participants who complete the program. As an added benefit,
participants will also receive a weekly supply of fresh produce direct
from the farm. Intake interviews for participation will be held in
March and orientation for the first of two Green Tomorrows sessions
will be held on April 21st, 2012. We are now accepting applications
on a rolling basis.

All of our programs are free for residents who apply and qualify.
Common Good City Farm is a neighborhood focused organization and is
committed to improving the lives of those in its community and
empowering people through food. For more information or to sign up
for Green Tomorrows online, please visit our website: http://www.commongoodcityfarm.org/
or contact jere...@commongoodcityfarm.org.

Common Good City Farm is located on V St. NW between 2nd and 4th.