Re: [parasail-programming-language] General comments and question

Tucker Taft

May 8, 2019, 2:12:21 PM5/8/19
to ParaSail Programming Language
Thanks for identifying this problem.  It seems to be something with the underlying GitHub template used by parasail-lang.org .  If you right click on a link and choose "open in a new tab" the link should work.  If you just click on the link, sometimes it works, and sometimes it goes into hyperspace.  We'll see if we can discover the underlying problem and fix it.

Take care,
-Tuck

On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 2:01 PM Olivier Henley <olivier...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi to all,

I write here because I just came across the ParaSail talk at Microsoft in 2012 and available on Youtube.

I was profoundly amazed by what I heard and now I am in a rush to give a shot at ParaSail.

Here comes my main concerns. :

1. Your 'adoption showstoppers' are quite high at the moment. Let me list a few
a) When we navigate the 'ecosystem', we can bounce between http://www.parasail-lang.org/http://parasail-programming-language.blogspot.com/ and https://github.com/AdaCore/ParaSail (dead BTW)

Tucker Taft

May 8, 2019, 5:05:17 PM5/8/19
to ParaSail Programming Language
We have worked around the problems with the GitHub template, so hopefully all of the links will work properly now.  If you find a dead link or one that doesn't work as expected, please let us know.

Thanks,
-Tuck

Olivier Henley

May 8, 2019, 8:50:35 PM5/8/19
to parasail-progr...@googlegroups.com
It works but I find it rather strange... Why is ParaSail distributed from Google drive and is not available from github?

Thank you,

Olivier

Tucker Taft

May 8, 2019, 8:57:52 PM5/8/19
to ParaSail Programming Language
We hope to move to GitHub at some point, but all of the initial development was done locally, and rehosting to GitHub is a modest amount of work, mainly in terms of making sure that the various build and test scripts work the "GitHub" way.

Take care,
-Tuck

Olivier Henley

May 8, 2019, 11:47:59 PM5/8/19
to parasail-progr...@googlegroups.com
You could just drop the content of the actual zip file as-is for now. With git-lfs (often installed by default with git nowadays... I think) even the precompiled binaries would be handled.

Also there is away in git to distribute pre ompiled binaries, the 'release flow'. Never did it myself but I often download such release packages... Here is the entry point : https://github.blog/2013-07-02-release-your-software/

My two cents.
Thanks,

Olivier,

Tucker Taft

May 8, 2019, 11:54:51 PM5/8/19
to ParaSail Programming Language
Thanks for the suggestions, and the pointer to the description of the github "release" mechanism.

Take care,
-Tuck