Sending CCD to Patient Portal - HIOL measure

Follett, Rick

Jun 25, 2014, 8:00:57 AM6/25/14
to (paragon-cio@googlegroups.com)

How are you addressing the Opt-in or Opt-out for patients to have their information sent to the Portal?

We are struggling to get 50% of inpatients to not opt-out.

Your advice is very much appreciated.

Rick Follett

CIO

The Good Samaritan Health System

Lebanon, PA

(717) 270-3728

This Message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination or copying of this message or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately and destroy the original message. Thank you.

Kurt J. Kramer

Jun 25, 2014, 9:14:04 AM6/25/14
to parag...@googlegroups.com

Rick, it’s unfortunate that Paragon took the field for patients to opt out of the state interfaces and tied it to the patient portal. I don’t exactly understand the rational here as they really are two different issues.

We took the stance that government is pushing us to send this information to the portal, it makes this task much more difficult if we set the default to “opt out”.  Also we put information in the consent about us sending information to Relay Health, the patient can request not to send information to the portal. We have defaulted the “opt out” to be unchecked, if the patient reads through their consent and decides they don’t want to partake then we check the box.

It also helps that our state for the state exchange and other interfaces is making the patient opt out as well. It makes it harder if your state has taken a different approach.

Kurt

DISCLAIMER: This communication, including any attachments or files, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient(s) or have received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately and delete this message.

Ed Hobbs

Jun 25, 2014, 9:24:26 AM6/25/14
to parag...@googlegroups.com
Rick,

Much depends on what your state will allow.  Here in Indiana we are allowed to opt-in by default for both the CCD to the portal and the immunization registry.  Opting in by default is giving us nearly 100% on the measure.

Now, getting the %5 to view their data... that's another matter altogether.

Ed Hobbs
DeKalb Health