Red Herring [SPOILERS]

Kory Heath

Jul 24, 2006, 8:13:53 PM7/24/06
to paradi...@googlegroups.com
Hey Ryan,

I played a solitaire game of Red Herring last night. This was my favorite of your patterns so far.

Your pattern has a "bug" in it - there's one tile that's completely obscured by another one, in the upper right-hand quadrant of the pattern. Probably it just got accidentally copied there as you were building the pattern. When I got to the end of the solitaire game, the game wouldn't end, because there was one tile left that I couldn't click on.

It also has a different kind of bug, in the same quadrant - there's one group that has an extra tile. I figured that this was the "red herring" that the title was referring to.

-- Kory

Ryan McGuire

Jul 25, 2006, 8:17:45 AM7/25/06
to Paradigm Game
I removed the obscured tile and the "extra".

The title is supposed to merely refer to the herringbone pattern.

The new and improved is (still) at
http://www.ryanker.com/Looney/RedHerring.svg

Kory Heath

Jul 26, 2006, 7:38:37 AM7/26/06
to paradi...@googlegroups.com
Ryan McGuire wrote:
I removed the obscured tile and the "extra".

Looks good!

BTW, when I clicked on this link on my friend's Mac laptop, it displayed the SVG file rather than asking me to download it. Apparently that browser had SVG support installed. Fortunately I'd already played the pattern, so it didn't spoil it for me, but I might recommend either putting your patterns into zip files, or maybe changing their extensions to something other than .svg. (People would have to change it back after they download it.)

-- Kory

Ryan McGuire

Jul 30, 2006, 2:39:19 PM7/30/06
to Paradigm Game
Re: clicking on links displays file.
Hmm... good point, I'm pretty sure the new version of Firefox does the
same thing.

Let me put this on the table: What if by convention, people saved
patterns in SVG format but with different extension, say .PPF for
Paradigm Pattern File? Then all that's needed to have Paradigm accept
PPF files. I noticed that the Open Pattern dialog _says_ it's looking
for All Files, but will only show the .svg files in a directory. I'm
sure it wouldn't be too difficult to have it look for SVGs and PPFs.

THEN... Windows users can assign PPF files to be openned by
Paradigm.jar. (I can work out the exact button clicks for those who
need them.)

Basically this would set up the convention that a pattern is a SVG
while it's being worked on (locally in Paradigm or in Inkscape, et al.)
and then gets "promoted" to a PPF when it's good enough to show to
other people.

Thoughts?

Kory Heath

Aug 1, 2006, 4:59:51 AM8/1/06
to paradi...@googlegroups.com
Ryan McGuire wrote:
Let me put this on the table: What if by convention, people saved
patterns in SVG format but with different extension, say .PPF for
Paradigm Pattern File?
Yeah, that's a good suggestion. I actually did this at first on my own system (I used the extension ".pattern"), but I wasn't sure anyone else would go for it. But I can easily add an extra extension to the file-dialog filter.

Any other opinions about a good standard? " .PPF "? ".pattern"? Something else?

-- Kory