paperwork needs too much memory: > 1.1GB

Steffen Michalek

Nov 20, 2019, 11:39:03 AM11/20/19
to Paperwork
Hello, on Linux here, with flatpack.
Paperwork uses too much memory, 1.1GB at the moment.
Is there a possibility not to hold too much information in the memory, that is not actually needed?
Thanks, Steffen

Jerome Flesch

Nov 27, 2019, 6:36:54 AM11/27/19
to paperw...@googlegroups.com, Steffen Michalek
Hello,

Yes and no.

I think the root of the problem is that Paperwork stores a copy of the
content of the documents in the Whoosh index. It needs this copy so it
can be used to untrain the label guessers when a document has been
deleted without using Paperwork. Problem is, if I'm not mistaken, Whoosh
keeps everything in memory. I think it also makes the index rewrites on
disk much longer.

In Paperwork 2.0, things will be done things differently. Whoosh will
only be used for indexing and searching. Document content copies are
stored in a separate Sqlite database (which won't be in memory).
Hopefully this will reduce memory usage.
Also in Paperwork 2.0, things will be a lot more modular, which will
make it much easier to figure out what is actually consuming resources.

Best regards,
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/paperwork-gui/90cc5c37-8951-448f-8862-d5e139090b16%40googlegroups.com
> [1].
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1]
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/paperwork-gui/90cc5c37-8951-448f-8862-d5e139090b16%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer

Steffen Michalek

Nov 30, 2019, 4:21:39 PM11/30/19
to Paperwork
Thanks for the differentiated answer.
(May be, "untraining" is not very important?
One could manually re-index, if that would be necessary,
and a warning could give a hint when deleting or when deletion is detected.)
I'll patiently wait for 2.0 :-)
Best regard, Steffen