FYI: Success with Brother ds-620 on Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

Lloyd Curtis

Sep 14, 2019, 10:19:38 PM9/14/19
to Paperwork
Working well after some trial and error on Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon using Brother DS620

Process went like this:

  1. Install SANE.
  2. No luck using sudo sane-find-scanner. It reports broken pipes and I/O errors.
  3. Install Brother .deb package from https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadtop.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=ds620_all
  4. Initially SANE reported the same error until I followed the instructions in Paperwork to install sane-utils and do some configuration at the command prompt. This happens when Paperwork can't find your scanner.
  5. Aftyer following the steps scanimage -L found the Brother with no problem.
  6. It works flawlessly with Paperwork with the possible caveat that I can't figure out how to do double-sided documents.
Coming from NEAT desktop this is an amazingly simple and reliable product. Kudos!

Jerome Flesch

Sep 15, 2019, 2:30:38 AM9/15/19
to paperw...@googlegroups.com, Lloyd Curtis
Le 2019-09-15 04:19, Lloyd Curtis a écrit :
> Working well after some trial and error on Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon
> using Brother DS620

Good to hear :-)

> Process went like this:
>
> * Install SANE.
> * No luck using sudo sane-find-scanner. It reports broken pipes and
> I/O errors.
> * Install Brother .deb package from
> https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadtop.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=ds620_all
> * Initially SANE reported the same error until I followed the
> instructions in Paperwork to install sane-utils and do some
> configuration at the command prompt. This happens when Paperwork can't
> find your scanner.
> * Aftyer following the steps scanimage -L found the Brother with no
> problem.
> * It works flawlessly with Paperwork with the possible caveat that I
> can't figure out how to do double-sided documents.

Paperwork has no notions of single-sided / double-sided documents. All
it knows is documents with pages (each page being an image). Some
scanners support double-sided scanning, but they simply return 2 images
for each page, which Paperwork interprets as 2 pages.

Regarding the Brother DS-620, I own one too. I assume that you know it
is not a duplex/double-sided scanner, right ? You need a Brother DS-720D
for that.