Indexing external files and program limits

Rafael Ontivero

Nov 23, 2019, 4:18:52 AM11/23/19
to Paperwork
Hi all!

I'm moving away from macOS and returning into Windows, and I'm searching for an alternative to DEVONthink (DT) as they are only on macOS/iOS.

I've been poking around here but I've not found answers to my questions here or in the program documentation.

In DT I have some external based folders "indexed". In DT terminology, that means that the original file remains in original place and the program only stores the metadata of each document. Inside DT you can search (even into PDF annotations only), preview, etc, but any modification of the document happens in the external "indexed" one. I think Paperwork "takes" the document inside and stored in the folder structure I've read in FAQ. Is there any configuration that could "mimic" the "index" DT behavior?

Another question is Paperwork limits. My current DT installation contains about 200 GB in internal DT (like normal Paperwork way of work) and about 700 GB of external documents, mostly scanned PDF (with OCR yet done). With this configuration DT should use between 8 and 12 GB of RAM and behave reasonably fast (not more than 2/3 seconds in start finding what I'm looking for). Could Paperwork deal with that in case it has the option of "indexing"?

PS: For me "indexing" is the main feature I need because a) Disk space (some files are in cloud, others are in removable disks, others inside of my NAS) and b) I use to externally modify those files and let DT re-syncrhonize them once a week or so.

Thanks in advance.

Jerome Flesch

Nov 27, 2019, 6:45:26 AM11/27/19
to paperw...@googlegroups.com, Rafael Ontivero
Hello,

I think Paperwork doesn't fit your needs at all, sorry.

With Paperwork, there are no ways to keep the documents in their current
place. Paperwork is designed to be simple to use. Having 2 ways to store
documents would make things confusing.

Paperwork won't scale to 900GB of documents, at all, ever. In my opinion
this is enterprise scale, whereas Paperwork is designed for personal use
scale. To give you some perspective, I test it mostly on my own personal
documents: 2220 documents, 2.4GB.
After Paperwork 2.0, I intend to do some work to try to make Paperwork
able to handle more documents, but I doubt it will ever support as much
as 900GB of documents with only 12GB of RAM.

Best regards,
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/paperwork-gui/cce32770-94e8-4f88-a9fe-cb27ba5da71f%40googlegroups.com
> [1].
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1]
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/paperwork-gui/cce32770-94e8-4f88-a9fe-cb27ba5da71f%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer

Rafael Ontivero

Dec 1, 2019, 6:35:39 AM12/1/19
to Jerome Flesch, paperw...@googlegroups.com
Jerome,

Thanks for your honest answer. I will keep an eye on the program.