Warnings on installation, "You don't have ... in your PATH, gem executables will not run."

rpflo

Aug 21, 2009, 1:39:43 AM8/21/09
to Paperclip Plugin
Rails has introduced me to the terminal. I'm still a little afraid of
it.

Anyway, when I followed the instructions on the wiki (http://
wiki.github.com/thoughtbot/paperclip/installation).

Then I got this:

WARNING: Installing to ~/.gem since /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8 and
/usr/bin aren't both writable.
WARNING: You don't have /Users/ryanf/.gem/ruby/1.8/bin in your PATH,
gem executables will not run.

Successfully installed thoughtbot-paperclip-2.3.0

So I either need to be able to install it where it should go (and if
so, how do I delete this one?)

Or, put "/Users/ryanf/.gem/ruby/1.8/bin" in my PATH ... whatever my
path is, I don't know.

Thanks.

José Santos

Aug 21, 2009, 6:29:44 AM8/21/09
to papercli...@googlegroups.com
Hi

You need to be superuser to install gems system wide.

If you're running any UNIX flavor (Linux, OSX) just run

" sudo rake gems:install "

This has happened to me before, I'm not sure how to remove that one, I remember it was a world of pain when I tried. I ended up just leaving it there.

Hope that helped.

lardawge

Aug 21, 2009, 9:52:24 AM8/21/09
to Paperclip Plugin
To remove it... rm -rf ~/.gem

Jonathan Yurek

Aug 21, 2009, 3:18:04 PM8/21/09
to papercli...@googlegroups.com
This happened because how how rubygems works now. It means that you
aren't superuser and don't have permission to write into the system
directories. You usually use sudo to override this (e.g. "sudo gem
install thoughtbot-paperclip"), which will ask for your password. The
second warning is only relevant if there are executables that need to
be run (like, say, rake) that are installed in the gems in that
directory. In paperclip's case, there are none, and so you don't need
to worry about it.
--
Jonathan Yurek, Founder and CTO
thoughtbot, inc.