Twitter’s Build Tool

Yi Cheng

Apr 27, 2020, 7:12:30 PM4/27/20
to pants...@googlegroups.com, David Rahn, Grace-Ann Baker, Brad Scheppler, Sasa Gargenta

Hi Pants folks,

After careful consideration, Twitter has made the decision to migrate from Pants to Bazel as our primary build tool, as we believe that we have unique needs that Bazel can better address. There is no doubt this decision will have a significant impact on the Pants project, so we want to be open about where we stand and where we are headed.

With the migration, it is expected that Twitter will be ramping down our responsibilities as contributors to Pants and will no longer be pursuing active development. However, we still think there is great work to be done on the Pants v2 project and are excited to see where it goes. We have had a number of conversations with key project sponsors like Toolchain, and we are confident that the project is in good hands.

Lastly we want to express our gratitude toward all the Pants contributors, and it wouldn’t be possible to reach where we are today without the community. Despite moving away from Pants, Twitter is still committed to open source technologies, with Bazel being the new direction in this case, and our core values will continue to guide us into the future.

Thanks and best,

Yi Cheng

On behalf of Engineering Effectiveness - Twitter

Benjy Weinberger

Apr 28, 2020, 11:07:40 AM4/28/20
to Yi Cheng, pants-devel, David Rahn, Grace-Ann Baker, Brad Scheppler, Sasa Gargenta
Thanks for the update, Yi!

We at Toolchain have taken a lead role in developing Pants v2 for quite some time, and will be continuing to do so, along with our other partners in the open source community. If anyone has any questions about the v2 roadmap, and how you can adopt Pants v2 to enjoy such features as concurrency, remote execution and caching, feel free to reach out by email or on Slack.

On behalf of the entire community, my deep thanks to the engineers at Twitter for their major contributions to Pants over the years. We wish them the best in their transition.

Be well and be safe,

Benjy Weinberger
CEO, Toolchain Labs

John Ward