How to find a particular photographer on Panoramio

coldwaterjohn

Feb 10, 2009, 3:40:22 PM2/10/09
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
Can anyone guide me how to find the work of a particular photographer on Panoramio?

Search Place obviously doesn't work, if you type in a photographer's name, whose work you know is in Panoramio, under the name you have typed.

How can you find his/her portfolio, successfully?

Galatas ©

Feb 10, 2009, 3:48:16 PM2/10/09
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
Google search for Panoramio + username is probably the easiest way.

armedola

Jul 15, 2009, 2:31:15 PM7/15/09
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
That's is a BIG issue that I see on Panoramio.

Is that too hard to put a check list on top of the search bar, that you can choose USERS or PLACES... that would simplify everything... or any other ideia...

That's a thing that pisses me off here in panoramio.

davidcmc58

Jul 22, 2009, 8:08:48 AM7/22/09
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
Quote:
That's a thing that pisses me off here in panoramio

Don't get pissed. Just enjoy what you've got now before it gets any worse. The chances for Panoramio to make any real improvements is next to nil. I have been a member for almost 18 months now and I just do not see any real improvements (Google migration or not). In fact, it got worse as each page is now only 16 photos, loading speed is way slower and tags for other members are still not visible. My suggestion is that we remove the "suggestion" forum because it is just a big waste of time. Since this is the "tips sharing forum", my only tip to share is - just be happy and go shoot some killer photos! David

Draken

Jul 22, 2009, 9:06:01 AM7/22/09
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
Quote davidcmc58:

Don't get pissed. Just enjoy what you've got now before it gets any worse. The chances for Panoramio to make any real improvements is next to nil. I have been a member for almost 18 months now and I just do not see any real improvements (Google migration or not). In fact, it got worse as each page is now only 16 photos, loading speed is way slower and tags for other members are still not visible. My suggestion is that we remove the "suggestion" forum because it is just a big waste of time. Since this is the "tips sharing forum", my only tip to share is - just be happy and go shoot some killer photos! David

davidcm58

I heard through the grapevine that there are some improvements in the pipeline... don't despair. :wink:

davidcmc58

Jul 23, 2009, 6:15:39 AM7/23/09
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
Quote:
I heard through the grapevine that there are some improvements in the pipeline... don't despair

Thanks, Draken. That's music to my ears. David

tonyloo

Nov 12, 2009, 8:34:47 PM11/12/09
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
I agree with David, getting pissed off is not the way to go besides being unproductive it's not good for your health. The advice is just to go on your merry way and keep on shotting good photos...that will come 'cause it's the only logical next step, regards.

hikethereef

Dec 24, 2009, 3:46:20 PM12/24/09
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
The best way I found is once you find one photo by the photographer you want to find, you can click on his name, and all his photos will come up on the next page. I've tried searching by name, and I can't get anywhere with it, either.

jonathan.nyc

Mar 4, 2010, 11:40:28 AM3/4/10
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
The google search is the best option. I suggest this syntax, presuming you know the panoramio id.

username site:panoramio.com

TomRos

Mar 4, 2010, 4:44:51 PM3/4/10
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
I see that not everyone is happy, but nobody ever will be. To get improvements you have to spend time and money. I do not see commercial use of this web site and I am happy about it. Would you like to have advertising banners flash accross your screen??

Drema Swader

Mar 5, 2010, 11:07:37 AM3/5/10
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
A lot of Google's websites don't make money, but that's no excuse for not making improvements. They always seem to find a way to make things lucrative enough if the site becomes popular enough.

I use my name as a tag and put it on at least one photo, so that if someone searches tags for my name, they can pull up the picture and then click on my name to get to my gallery. I've used it myself when I was on another computer. (I see the Google search works well too. Thanks for the tip)

tonyloo

Mar 12, 2010, 5:55:46 AM3/12/10
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
Hmmmmm, that's a clever idea...talking about putting tag in one of your photo. I might have to do that too. About being pissed, if you really need to then do it by all means...not doing is also not good for your health. :wink:

Stephen_Nicholas

Jul 19, 2011, 7:49:15 AM7/19/11
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone, feels so international here! :D

Regarding improvments,. Seems that google has taken along time in moving forward here, they have a pertencial goldmine here, because of all of you.
It will always take longer than you first though to bring about changes here, yet one must step back and look at "the whole picture" (sorry)!
I have had 400 hits on some of my shots and thats more than I have had on Flickr. I look at my home area and see hardly any shots at all -yet see this as a bonus in the long run! Lets face it, google maps and Google Earth must be one of the most popular search engines available today (if not "the" best on-line map today); providing a cultural service made all the more enlightening because our efferts, were we infact capture a history of our planet for everyones future.

Now tell me we should not be grateful for what we have here!

I will point out though; that I would have expected more improvments than there have been over the last 6-7 years. and that we all should want to make this referance as good as it can be for future travelers and people worldwide.

Bruce Comfort

Aug 10, 2011, 9:53:53 PM8/10/11
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
I might get busted after this post - but I have already tried contacting members of the Panoramio team to discuss my use of the website, without either supportive or derogatory feedback.

For me, Panoramio - just as it is, and particularly because of its link through the Google Earth layer is a superb and extremely valuable information publishing tool.

I have an interest in the place I live and particularly in the history of the place and even more particularly artifacts of its industrial past. You can see these snapshots (not art photos!) if you hunt around North Otago in New Zealand or if you go to Oamaru. Because Google Earth is a tool that people can use to see the world from their living room, photos which are posted into the Google Earth layer are windows into another part of the world - and not just visually - Panoramio allows us to insert comments of our own as the photographer. In my case, those comments can be text documents of many hundreds of words and they can include links.

By this means I am actively publishing on a world wide basis - disseminating what I know and what I think I know along with visual bookmarks which are geo-coded and anyone anywhere in the world can read my stuff without searching - the minute they turn on the photographs layer in Google Earth they have access with one click to any photo of mine and then to all my photos and information.

Now I call that a spectacular example of the democratic power of the Internet and without sounding too soppy about it I for one am very grateful - Thanks Google.

Bruce Comfort
Oamaru

Draken

Aug 10, 2011, 10:25:00 PM8/10/11
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
Quote Bruce Comfort:

Bruce

Your post is all right and your intention to disseminate knowledge very suitable to the purpose of this website. However, I recommend your reading the Photo Acceptance Policy because some of your photos won't be accepted for GE. For example, the one titled "Early model Pelton wheel water motor - installed late 19th Century". It is a close-up of an object or part of machinery and thus the photo doesn't comply with above-mentioned policy.

http://www.panoramio.com/help/policies_legalities

Draken, forum moderator

VKeith

Aug 16, 2011, 11:23:17 AM8/16/11
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
To coldwaterjohn: If you DO find a photo by someone you might want to revisit, make them a favorite, or make one photo of theirs a favorite. I use these tools to help me find people again. Some photographers use obscure user names so it is hard to find them simply by searching their names. Perhaps you can find them by looking for their photos on GE in a place they are likely to shoot. I hope this helps, or maybe it seems obvious. Good luck. I have seen many, many positive changes on Panoramio since 2007. Most seem long considered and well thought out, which I really appreciate.

Percy Tai 漆園童

Aug 27, 2011, 8:44:12 AM8/27/11
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
I use VKeith's method too. If you are not touched by his/her photo(s),why bother to reach him/her again;don't be too harsh in encouraging your fellow photography lovers with a "Favorite",that is magic to keep his/her interest in shooting more and better images.
About improvement,I find it very slow in searching for a particular photo in my account to edit the tags --- the page bar allows shifting of 3-4 pages each time --- a shift of 7-10 is more efficient. If there are other ways,please tip me.

Tomas K☼h☼ut

Aug 27, 2011, 8:51:57 AM8/27/11
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
Quote Percy Tai 漆園童:
I find it very slow in searching for a particular photo in my account to edit the tags --- the page bar allows shifting of 3-4 pages each time --- a shift of 7-10 is more efficient. If there are other ways,please tip me.

Use addresbar of your browser - and you've got "Jump to page directly" function. :idea:

Example: on third page of my gallery, page address is as follows:
http://www.panoramio.com/user/3181113?comment_page=1&photo_page=3

To jump quickly to e.g. page 80, I have to rewrite one digit in browsers address bar:
http://www.panoramio.com/user/3181113?comment_page=1&photo_page=80

Same applies for comments and pages based on tags.

QuentinUK

Oct 11, 2011, 10:00:20 PM10/11/11
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
If you want an example of how long it takes to fix something try the above "Search Place". I can't remember it ever working.

If you tag your photos with your name, when you browse through them, using the tag, they are in reverse order - oldest photos first.

CMilton111

Feb 7, 2012, 4:51:11 PM2/7/12
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
Panoramio is a place to have our portfolio (mostly of geo-tagged content).  The site really is based on geo-tagged content as shown by the selection of the "Google Earth" or not.  Many people (including professional photographers.. some very very good) use this venue for other reasons (that is their right and I don't see a conflict with that) and the content they contribute is often beautiful but not necessarily content for geo-tagged viewers.  (Maybe you know some site that would be good for non-geo-tagged content...  I would like to know that one as I have a lot of work for that type of venue). Geo-tagging content acceptability of course is subject to GE looking at the photo and accepting it or not.  Panoramio does offer a second review (I have used this and sometimes they end up selecting my posted photo.  I have had them not accept a photo for a time and then they change their status and select my photo without me requesting a review).

I think of Panoramio as a huge project that involves tons of implimentation, insight, and management (this is a HUGE logistical consideration).  The content on Panoramio is very valuable as it attracts millions of viewers everyday.  You and I are a part of that and that is great (the number of views you are getting is potentially getting larger every day).  I have had people from all over the world contact me about my posted photos (people, many professional photographers that I would never have been in touch with).  I do include my email and my user handle in some of my comments.  This can help.  Reading these forums has given me some ideas how to manage my portfolio (contribution) better (to get more views).  The content value of other photographers has served me also as an inspiration to get out more with my camera and to work at getting better and better shots.

I have additionally created my user name that is UNIQUE and so if someone does a Google search on cmilton111 they find everything (publishing oriented) on the top of that search.  This search puts my Panoramio user info sixth (www.panoramio.com/user/755014).   You can create your own unique user name and then anyone doing a search for that name will find you.  When people ask for my contact info I tell them they can always find me on Google search under "cmilton111".  It works.

I hope this helps you.  If you hear of any better way to find different photographers on Panoramio please send me that at my cmilton111 at gmail.com

Best to you always,
cmilton111

Tomas K☼h☼ut

Feb 8, 2012, 10:22:25 AM2/8/12

On Tuesday, February 7, 2012 10:51:11 PM UTC+1, CMilton111 wrote:
I have additionally created my user name that is UNIQUE and so if someone does a Google search on cmilton111 they find everything (publishing oriented) on the top of that search.  This search puts my Panoramio user info sixth (www.panoramio.com/user/755014).   You can create your own unique user name and then anyone doing a search for that name will find you.  When people ask for my contact info I tell them they can always find me on Google search under "cmilton111".  It works.

Right, small corrections and tip:
- user name on Panoramio MUST be unique (well, it is case sensitive, so "Milton" and "milton" are two unique names here). But it does not mean this name is unique all over the whole Internet. In that case, better approach is to qualify the search to search only on Panoramio.

This advanced search restricted to only one web site can be done this way (type following text into the Google search box):

site:panoramio.com "user name"
or even better:
site:panoramio.com/user "user name"

Don't forget quotas around user name if user name is longer than one word.