PANORAMIO is CLOSED

hvbemmel

Oct 5, 2016, 12:03:02 AM10/5/16
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com

In their infinite wisdom, arrogance and not being able to communicate in a normal manner Google is under the impression that what they offer on Google Maps is sufficient to compete with other photo sites and Panoramio. This announcement is made in a single line on your photo page as thank you for all the money you generated for Google.
I wish you all a nice scrolling until infinity to reach the last photo on your profile.

For me, I will help those who really need help with a transition to GM, but it´s all in the link above, I will divert all questions about not being able to find photos or about statistics to this thread.
In the mean time I have better things to do,

I don´t know how long this forum will be open, so I wish you all the best, thank you all for your support and for the nice conversations and discussions we had in the past, for me, nine years. Godspeed.

Stuart Smith

Oct 5, 2016, 1:01:10 AM10/5/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
I also found it unbelievable that a company the size of Google was never able to be contactable regarding Panoramio.

As the site has so many loyal followers that really appreciate its benefits and community, why can't Google sell it or maintain it even with a membership fee (reasonable level)? The coexistence with GE has helped me on so many travels to find places of beauty and interest. Maps is a poor substitute!

I add my sadness at its demise.

Matthew Walters

Oct 5, 2016, 1:15:38 AM10/5/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
Thanks Herman. Sadly Google seems to be made up of unimaginative cowards.

hvbemmel

Oct 5, 2016, 3:27:44 AM10/5/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
NEW In the Panoramio settings (cogwheel right of your avatar) you can break the link between Panoramio and Google+, your photos will not be transferred to GM then.

Geosergio

Oct 5, 2016, 3:28:45 AM10/5/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
What is this bad new this morning? Again they say that Panoramio is closing! Why? I have more than 100.000 photos here! I spent years here on Panoramio to upload my photos, to share the world and culture!
Is there anything we can do to save Panoramio? In 2014 we won a petition to save it! Does it mean anything? Where is democracy in this world?
Sorry for my bad written trend but I am so angry! This morning I got so angry when I read this again!

Christos Theodorou

Oct 5, 2016, 4:57:54 AM10/5/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)

Trying Maps last month, all Panoramio photos are transferred automatically to the new site, if they are accepted in GE. I can't see my photos not accepted for any reason. That means, I suppose, photos with flowers, graffiti, macro will not be transferred to Maps.

I really hate scrolling ... to the eternity, but I prefer to keep my work alive.

Timberwolf Studios

Oct 5, 2016, 4:59:03 AM10/5/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)

laurence_cox

Oct 5, 2016, 5:16:40 AM10/5/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
Let's all start by agreeing to boycott their 'Local Guides program'. We don't upload photos just to provide links to businesses, which is what they seem to think we are going to do (if business owners want to upload pictures showing off their businesses, they are quite entitled to do so, but it wasn't what Panoramio was set up for).

hvbemmel

Oct 5, 2016, 5:31:10 AM10/5/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
You can link to POI´s, which would be the same as the snap to function in Panoramio. POI´s are not necessarily businesses but can be other places like churches, musea, fountains etc. It´would be the users choice to link to businesses. For the rest you can of course link your flower photos to flower shop etc. The system GM uses is as vulnerable as Panoramio once was, Google still has no idea about human nature and the way some people will corrupt the system given the chance.

For the rest I don´t think any action to boycot the guides program will impress Google. As they said when people wanted to leave Panoramio, we will be sad to se you go, but we can not stop you. again, they are not interested in the people behind the computer.

laurence_cox

Oct 5, 2016, 5:38:18 AM10/5/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
If you want to carry on sharing these, you could try creating themed albums on Google+. This is one that I made on the subject of Nature:
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipOajNSn1GphjsaslhHCJ93NpqL6CtKdtijIyMx3
Of course these will count towards your Google+ quota, while transferred photos do not.

laurence_cox

Oct 5, 2016, 5:48:25 AM10/5/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
I agree with you that Google are too big to care about the little people now. Whatever happened to 'Don't be evil'? Sometimes you just have to accept that you have lost and have nothing to do with their replacement. For me, Panoramio was mainly about the groups of like-minded people, and this is gone forever with GM.

bdeh

Oct 5, 2016, 6:28:20 AM10/5/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
If all Panoramio users delete all their photo's, Google map will be less interesting.

PavolG

Oct 5, 2016, 7:05:13 AM10/5/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
Few weeks ago, Google sent me a huge "Thank You" email for all my contributions. I have millions of views, some photos with more than 100 000 views, achieved Level 5 local guide badge, I've reported tons of errors in maps and now? They're sayin me goodbye. We don't need you anymore, because we are accepting only photos of restaurants now... And uploaded by context menu for the exact POI.

Dňa streda, 5. októbra 2016 6:03:02 UTC+2 hvbemmel napísal(-a):

Amelia Royan

Oct 5, 2016, 7:13:14 AM10/5/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
I am almost totally computer literate.  Do you advise me to sign up for G+, then save  all my photos in the zip file?   I'm not good at following instructions and have a fear of losing everything!

I  have to say that, even though it has been on the cards for some time now, I feel very sad, and very disappointed  with Google, and the way they have treated this site.

hvbemmel

Oct 5, 2016, 7:42:34 AM10/5/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
Amelia, do you have your photos on your computer / hard drive ? if yes, then forget about the zipfile it will not bring you more as what you have. The zipfile is only for if you do not have a copy of your photos anymore.

If you want to have your photos transferred to photos.google.com and want to go in with Google Maps, then you have to connect to G+. I can not advise you there. you will have to decide what you want.

mook88

Oct 5, 2016, 7:44:59 AM10/5/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
I've been hoping that this day would never come, but sadly, here it is. So now I would like to take this opportunity to thank the moderators for all of their hard work over the years. It has been very much appreciated!

Vietoves.Lt

Oct 5, 2016, 7:45:19 AM10/5/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
Hello,

it is very sad, that Panoramio will be not available for people shortly. But here are few questions, we all need to know.

1. We are still able to upload photos to Panoramio. They will be reviewed and approved for Google Maps? What is final date, then reviewers will complete own work?
2. Maybe anyone know, if it is (will be) possible upload batch geotagged photos to Google Maps like now to Panoramio?

Thank You.

hvbemmel

Oct 5, 2016, 7:48:33 AM10/5/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
Pavol, The thank you and level 5 is for the photos you already have in Google Maps. You get no credits (yet) for Panoramio photos. Look for "your contributions"- photos under the three horizontal lines in the top left corner on GM. Ther you will find all your photos. those wit number on it are the photos you have in GM already.

Asinus99

Oct 5, 2016, 7:54:09 AM10/5/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
2.I use

it is free

hvbemmel

Oct 5, 2016, 7:58:29 AM10/5/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
1. The photos will go to GM when you have a connection to G+ There the photos will be reviewed anyway so I guess the review will go on if not in Panoramio then in GM
2. You only can upload photos in GM when you go to a POI and click it. In the left pane the POI will appear and you will have to look for "add a photo" there (under a photo which says xx photos). The you can upload as many photos as you like.

Draken

Oct 5, 2016, 8:09:49 AM10/5/16
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone found out how to remove all the photo content? If I delete my photos from Panoramio will they also disappear from the Local contributors abortion of nature or do I have to make it directly on Google Maps? If so, how?

My photo contribution to Google is over for good. Thank you

hvbemmel

Oct 5, 2016, 9:06:26 AM10/5/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
If you do it before november 4 you can delete your Panoramio account in the settings. As there was no transition to photos yet, that should do the trick.
You also can remove the connection to G+ in the settings which also will prevent the transition (you will have to make sure there is no link as you had a link there but due to a bug we were thrown out of G+ , but not entirely)..then only Panoramio will remain and you can remove your photos/delete your account up to november 2017, after that Panoramio will not be reachable any more and photos will be transferred to Google photos.

Draken

Oct 5, 2016, 9:22:25 AM10/5/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
Thank you Herman. I knew you would have the right answer. It is a pity we cannot reach the great bulk of Panoramio users and make them aware of this option. I am pretty sure a vast majority of them  would delete their accounts and photos since they would no longer want to contribute with this ugly-faced Leviathan. I will probably now remove the connection to G+, after that considered me gone.

Nick Weall

Oct 5, 2016, 9:29:20 AM10/5/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
Goodbye Draken

Thanks for all your hard work over the years.

hvbemmel

Oct 5, 2016, 9:42:00 AM10/5/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
Well, you have my address.
It was great living this adventure with you and the others, Knowing you all was worth te efforts and this is something Google can not ever take away from us. I doubt that they have the EQ to even fathom what Panoramio has meant for many of us and what they miss with their head in the mist of ones and zeros. Specially the moderators have lived through a lot of things and we always came out better. In this spirit I´m thankful to Draken, Matthew, Daniella, Tomas and all the others I consider being my friends and that goes far beyond Panoramio. I consider this a Goodbye, not a farewell.

digitography

Oct 5, 2016, 9:48:12 AM10/5/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
I have tried to back up my photographs using the method they prescribe, but there is no link in settings for for "Data Liberation" and I know my original account was a panoramio account.
I have no idea WTF google think they are achieving, other than pissing people off. Maybe they think they can get some suckers to pay them for putting photographs on GMs?
I have looked at the GMs option of uploading photographs and cannot figure out how to make it work, and if you make a contribution on G+ you can only upload photographs 1 at a time.
Thankfully all of my photographs are backed up, however many of them were geo located manually, so many hours I will never get back.

Stephen SteveT

Oct 5, 2016, 10:14:41 AM10/5/16
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Dear Herman, Matthew, Draken and others

I'm gob smacked. I nearly posted this week that we needed the defibrillator to try and get a pulse back into Panoramio.

I have spent Years on this project, my first photo upload back in Feb 2007 and what a waste of effort I now feel.  I will pull all my 19,243 photos from Google along with the 32,000,000  views they've had, with immediate effect.

I take my hat off to you guys Herman, Matthew, Draken and others that have had to put up with me over the years, you clearly have the patience of saints.

Panoramio was great, had it's problems but was truly great and could have been made outstanding with a little resolve from Google.

I wish to thank the Founders of Panoramio, Eduardo and Colleagues for a such great idea it was a shame they were unable to continue.

Also a big thank you to Pierre Dablon for his Stats Program PhotosheetPano, along with others who also wrote complimentary software.

Panoramio is going to be a big miss in my life and wish all who have contributed well and all the best for the future.

Cheers from Geordieland and Farewell

Stephen (SteveT, Stephen SteveT)

PS. Whats the safest way to remove all photos from Panoramio / Google Maps / Google Earth ?

Aristaeus63

Oct 5, 2016, 10:28:48 AM10/5/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
It makes you wonder if they're going to end Google Earth next. I don't think photo's uploaded to Google Maps end up on Google Earth. The only new photo contributions to GE were on the android version via Panoramio.

hvbemmel

Oct 5, 2016, 10:31:51 AM10/5/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
Hi Steve,

Thx for your kind words.
To your question: The easiest way is to delete your Panoramio account in the Panoramio settings, this only affects Panoramio and also removes your photos from GM and GE (those two can take some time)

On Wednesday, 5 October 2016 16:14:41 UTC+2, SteveT wrote:
Dear Herman, Matthew, Draken and others

I'm gob smacked. I nearly posted this week that we needed the defibrillator to try and get a pulse back into Panoramio.

I have spent Years on this project, my first photo upload back in Jan 2008 and what a waste of effort I now feel.  I will pull all my 19,243 photos from Google along with the 32,000,000  views they've had, with immediate effect.

Daniela Brocca

Oct 5, 2016, 10:35:20 AM10/5/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
I'm so sad, Hermann, a could cry all the time.Almost ten years of my life and thousands of hours gone. What is left is that I met hundreds of peeople , many of them became friends, even some I never met in person.  We can meet again in Ipernity,where some of us went already some times ago.Is not the same , I know, but at last we will not lose everything.We can stay in touch.

Please help  the people that ask how to go to Maps, for me is difficult. I will have to try too.

Roger-11

Oct 5, 2016, 11:04:11 AM10/5/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
Hello,Steve.

'm like you after the publication of the message Panoramio top, I came across the cu
(behind) .
After all
the effort that one has done more petitions made, google to play dead and took the opportunity to do that médiathéquephoto on Google Earth, as the photos put on this site for his well there lomtemps and we do not suprimés with more than 134 million photos that they were taken by amateur photographer us cheaply, this is where the bottom lies I'm really disappointed because it was a good way to give an opinion on the photo and communicate together.
My
Greeting France, Roger. See Here: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/134028115

© Tom Cooper

Oct 5, 2016, 11:53:48 AM10/5/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
Aristaeus63,

Google has some legal problems with Google Earth.  Depending on how that goes, they may be forced to close Google Earth. :(

SteveT

Oct 5, 2016, 12:02:52 PM10/5/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
Thanx Herman, thought I should say thanx again before doing as you say because probably not able to post afterwards.

Auf Wiedersehen

© Tom Cooper

Oct 5, 2016, 12:20:26 PM10/5/16
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
I will add my thanks to you, Herman, Daniela, and all of the other moderators.  It was a priveledge to meet and have breakfast with you at the 2011 Google Geo User's summit.  The world is a small place.  Perhaps our paths will cross again some day.

Tomas K☼h☼ut

Oct 5, 2016, 12:21:22 PM10/5/16
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, that's a "nice" early Christmas present!

All useful information included in our
- conversation comments,
- descriptions,
- tags,
- links to other resources from comments and desription,
- favourite photographers and photos,
- links to our galleries, photos and tags based selections from other web pages,
- apps using API,
- official and user organised contests and their results,
- perhaps also this forum...
...everything's going to die and disappear, all in vain.

Thank you Google.
Thank you for the good time I enjoyed discovering the locations on Maps and Google Earth when planning, recalling or simply dreaming about the trips to remote locations.
Thank for letting me know some new virtual and also the real friends.
Thank for an education and a tutoring in the landscape photography I've got through this experience and with a help of the new friends.
Thank for all the thrill, learning curve and Panoramio experience from "Wow! My photos are on Google Earth!" through the discovery of the great photos in Panoramio Galleries and the photo games and competitions in the forum... to becoming a moderator helping others.
Thank for the meetings, either official ones organised by Google or informal ones we organise ourselves.
Big thanks to Eduardo and all other co-founders to make it all possible.

I cannot thank you Google for the way you handle Panoramio in last 3 years and how you finally resolve the "migration".
Although I read between the lines of the last (previous) official announcement by James Therrien that there will not be much effort to migrate all of our content and give us better, more flexible, more social, "brighter and more shining" tool to share our photos on maps... and as I observed "advancing" development of Maps - Your Contribution, Google Photos and Local Guides programme... despite all of that I remained loyal contributor to Panoramio, with a false hope in a miracle. It did not happened.

I have to take a break and cool off period to decide, if I leave with all my photos (read: if I should delete them all), or if it is better for me and my friends to keep them buried somewhere in Photos gallery.

Perhaps... it is also our fault that the popularity of Panoramio declined recently. Perhaps we shall interact and promote more this service, which used to be the breaking one. But most of all, we are the hobbyists and not the marketers. And it's hard to promote the service, which is for three years broken and without dedicated admins.

Perhaps I shall revive my account on ipernity or Flickr (or other photo sharing site), but there is no service which provide such a excellent combination of maps and photos for me. Hard decision.

So hello and good bye Daniela, Herman, Draken, Matthew, Alex, Ihor, Andre, Alexandru, Mimi, Roar, Nick, Larry, Agneta, Amelia, Gudrun, Herb, Rob, David, JBM and many others (to name a few only...). Hope to see and meet you not only on the map.

laurence_cox

Oct 5, 2016, 1:31:59 PM10/5/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
Actually Google is pretty good at corrupting without anyone's help. Take a look at this example from my photos:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/131581747

As you can see it is a church interior and there is no POI, because Google thought it unnecessary to provide one for this church in Trier.

Now look on Google maps:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/contrib/112118098670910242746/photos/@49.756249,6.64071,9z/data=!4m3!8m2!3m1!1e1

and you will see that it has been allocated to:

Suksabai Thaimassage Trier
Porta-Nigra-Platz 4, 54292 Trier, Germany

which incidentally, is a totally different location in Trier. I could understand it if they had chosen the nearest POI.

On Wednesday, 5 October 2016 10:31:10 UTC+1, hvbemmel wrote:
You can link to POI´s, which would be the same as the snap to function in Panoramio. POI´s are not necessarily businesses but can be other places like churches, musea, fountains etc. It´would be the users choice to link to businesses. For the rest you can of course link your flower photos to flower shop etc. The system GM uses is as vulnerable as Panoramio once was, Google still has no idea about human nature and the way some people will corrupt the system given the chance.

Aristaeus63

Oct 5, 2016, 1:44:49 PM10/5/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
This one of mine, http://www.panoramio.com/photo/132688571 , is from Assateugue Island National Seashore. On google maps it is designated as taken in the "North Atlantic". Unless they greatly improve google maps, there's not much point in posting.

millotaurus1

Oct 5, 2016, 2:09:00 PM10/5/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
In fact, I f...ck them all....

SteveT

Oct 5, 2016, 2:13:05 PM10/5/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
Looks as though I'm still able to post after death. Panoramio account deleted, now empty photos on Google Earth but still here in spirit.

Stephen

Draken

Oct 5, 2016, 4:03:47 PM10/5/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
However, if I hover my mouse over your name here there is no link to your account/profile. So far you can participate in the forum and I suppose it is so because the Google groups and the Panoramio accounts have never completely integrated.

c0l0gne1

Oct 5, 2016, 4:51:06 PM10/5/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
I feel with you who have been hoping against hope for a positive outcome though I must say I'm not surprised at the way Google has (mis)handled this. I'm glad I deleted most of my photos two years ago so that I had only 20 photos left to delete today. My former Picasa albums will follow.
As I said to Herman in the German forum- why don't you make Ip your first home, the user interaction is as good as it used to be on Panoramio and the map is quite good actually. Also, not having to think about GE acceptance is liberating;-)
Hope to see you there, Tom! Btw- there are memberships to be won: http://www.ipernity.com/group/winclub

vovik1zt

Oct 5, 2016, 5:15:04 PM10/5/16
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
I have a little more than 2,000 photos in Panorama, do not understand why closing a cool project. It's like a social network of photographers, travelers, etc. where you can see the properties of a photo, a camera and how to make (even learn from the pros just for data), these data are not available anywhere else - simply nowhere ... I'm your account tied to G + is still a couple of years ago, when only just begun the nix.
In such changes only large Cons:
1) Less data about the photo,
2) Less binding to the countryside, Mr. CI and local experts photo can bind only to an existing object! That is, if the object is not in GMaps, the picture snaps to the ground just within the area, the region, rather than to a monument such as you sfotkali. You can create an object, but only on a path to GM (and that if it will be moderated when the hour, and when a month!), And if it is a rural road in the field, where a beautiful view like or lake without a name, the photo will bind only to the district center, and the area can be a few hundred km2 ...
3) Less photo statistics,
4) Less huskies,
5) Negative comments (after all, most want to know more about your photo, how they appreciate others) ...

Of the benefits: they do not have to ...) Zamorochki with drag and drop in Google, where it forms a set of dibilno in albums with dates instead of the name (I'm talking about the recently uploaded photos, as will long-uploaded pictures of Panorama did not know). Which then need to drag and drop, classify, rename ...

Bottom line: Google has become worse for me ...

Sorry for the very poor English, I write from the Ukraine, where, and so not fun.
Message has been deleted

SteveT

Oct 5, 2016, 7:02:03 PM10/5/16
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Dear Draken,
I seem to have lost virtually all my Panoraimio stuff and my Google Earth photos now show up empty. Google Maps however still show full images for the time being. When I try and post here I have had a few errors getting through.

I had wondered for now years, what I would do if Panoramio folded. Though my photos have been used on loads of sites illegally, I knew I would end it if Panoramio or better ended that time is for me now. The effort in captioning, geo-tagging and key-wording was only for the little gain in knowing my photos were seen by many and hoping the some of the viewings were appreciated by a few.

When Google+ came along, I did link my Panoramio account but then photos stopped being automatically added to Google + some 2 years ago. As for Photos at Google.com, well that just did not work for me. I have since set up a Flickr account with a lot of my Panoramio Photos and feel its OK but just not the same as Panoramio.
 It has been always great to know, that with Panoramio and via Google Earth people could look at any position on the globe and get a feel for the area through photos and quite a few used to be mine. I am resigned and bereft to loose Panoramio from my life and can only blame Google for their short-sightedness.

Again I wish you and all the best and will try to respond here as long as possible.

Take care to all

Stephen

https://www.flickr.com/photos/89096286@N03/   my flickr pages and albums for anyone interested

Roger Powell

Oct 5, 2016, 8:56:11 PM10/5/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)

Google have made a big mistake by not honouring the solemn promise made to Panoramio by James Thierrien in June 2015 to: "build a solution that strives to meet the majority of your needs".

The resultant solution of Google Maps meets none of our needs.

NONE!

Google Maps is truly an excellent site in its own right but it serves a very different purpose and ignores the needs of Panoramio users for proper members photo galleries, editable descriptions, favourite photographers, tags, groups, like/fav buttons, comments, translations, Google Earth and the opportunities to build friendships with fellow photographers.

Killing Panoramio makes Google a weapon of mass destruction. Seek, buy and destroy. Google never understood that Panoramio was so unique among its peer photo-sharing websites. It was not just the photos, it was also the people. It had a heart and soul.The vibrant atmosphere of Panoramio will never be resurrected in Maps.

Google Photos could have become the next Panoramio but instead it was born on life support. Picassa is already dead and Panoramio will be buried in the plot alongside it.

While I resent and am annoyed with Google's action, I will not be involved in any of the suggested boycotts. Life is too short to let the anger become so uncontrollable.

I would like to add my appreciation to the Panoramio Founders, Joaquín Cuenca and Eduardo Manchón, because without their vision and enterprise we would not have been here at all.

Thanks too, to all the moderators for the constructive and positive manner in which you have always run this users forum - and the patient way you have dealt with the hundreds of repetitive posts! Well done.

Joe_Lourenco

Oct 5, 2016, 11:50:30 PM10/5/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
Thank you very much Herman and all the other Moderators here on Panoramio forums for all your hard work and support! May the future bring health and prosperity to you all!

Geosergio

Oct 6, 2016, 2:57:08 AM10/6/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
Hello friends,
I have a question. Will the tags survive? How will they organize the albums on google?
Thank you

ikar.us

Oct 6, 2016, 5:27:10 AM10/6/16
On Wednesday, 5 October 2016 13:58:29 UTC+2, hvbemmel wrote:
1. The photos will go to GM when you have a connection to G+

Does it have to be G+, or simple a Google account?
They are contradicting themselves in the text.

ikar.us

Oct 6, 2016, 5:42:00 AM10/6/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
Aristaeus63 wrote:
"You can only add photos for points of interest, like businesses or parks, but not addresses or coordinates."

Where is this from?
I only read that they have to be linked tzo a POI to be counted towards the local guide rank.

They can be mapped to coordinates,
but these must be provided via EXIF
and can't be set in the GM interface.
(And can thus never be corrected.)

hvbemmel

Oct 6, 2016, 6:04:01 AM10/6/16
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Go to maps click the three lines in the searchbox, a menu opens
click "your contributions"
click photos
WYSIWYG, no tags. organised in one long line of all your photos either sorted by views or by date.

ikar.us

Oct 6, 2016, 7:29:51 AM10/6/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
I stumble about this condition:
if you have linked your profile with a Google+ account and you are attributing photos using your name (rather than Panoramio nickname)
Is the 2nd half a different setting?

ROSTAMDALILA

Oct 6, 2016, 8:48:41 AM10/6/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
Closing Panoramio equals murder or genocide web. The murder of hope and thousands of volunteer hours users of that benefit everyone. Will only cause mistrust in Google.

I wonder to what extent the company will succeed in replacing GM Panoramio.
What is important is the transfer of comments to continue the functioning of the community and thereby prevent loss of contact. For this thing to be fought. Likewise inadmissible degradation of seeing photos only from GM.

Please do not delete your photos from Panoramio!

Panoramio will have a year to live passively, and therefore there is still a faint chance still survive. You may need to buy another multinational or national giant !!!

After transfer to Google Maps, it is possible that the system will improve to a similar environment Panoramio. It's just speculation and wishful thinking.

Current liable Google who invented the G + and GM probably jealous of the popular Panoramio and therefore they want to destroy.

Alternative transfer photos to other web albums also does not guarantee long-term operation.

Disappear for a year or photos from the Panoramio layer in Google Earth? It would die and GE.

Photographs of users who will not pass on any serious reason to G + will be lost?

I hope all friends from the community Panoramio meet in GM.
Thank you all for seven years of cooperation, mutual support and virtual friendships.
Your user ROSTAMDALILA, perhaps later Jaroslav Novak.

Kaiser

Oct 6, 2016, 9:01:19 AM10/6/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
That's so disappointing. I just not only spend lots of hours on Panoramio only but also creating Panorank.com.

However, at least I can say that I'll keep Panorank.com so at least our user stats won't be lost. I'll try to change the code of the website for those who decide to delete their account are able to kkep the stats at Panorank.com.

Herman, I have a question for you. I linked my Panoramio account with G+ account but the pictures I've uploaded after December 2013 are not transferred. Do you know why?

Last but not least, thanks to all of you for being part of this awesome community an sharing your amazing pictures.

hvbemmel

Oct 6, 2016, 9:19:07 AM10/6/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
The transfer from PA photos to G+ was abandoned in 2013. The upcoming transition will bring the photos from Panoramio to photos.google.com. I guess that the link to G+ is meant to sort out the people who want their photos transferred to photos.google.com and Google Maps, so nobody can say that this happened without his permission. In Nov 2017 photos with a Google account, there still are some with a so called legacy account, will go to Photos, but (again) I guess that those will not show up in GM.

Keep in mind, the only info we have is the info all users have from the link on the photo page. We haven´t had any inside information for over 2 years now. .

Kaiser

Oct 6, 2016, 9:56:44 AM10/6/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
Thanks for your help!

El dijous, 6 octubre de 2016 9:19:07 UTC-4, hvbemmel va escriure:

Asinus99

Oct 6, 2016, 10:07:33 AM10/6/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
What will happen with the links via widget API

paolo savigni

Oct 6, 2016, 10:19:33 AM10/6/16
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com

Il giorno giovedì 6 ottobre 2016 12:04:01 UTC+2, hvbemmel ha scritto:
Go to maps click the three lines in the searchbox, a menu opens          OK
click "your contributions"         OK
click photos                     OK
WYSIWYG, to tags. organised in one long line of all your photos either sorted by views or by date.   NOT OK
I don't see anything else, no date no views count
   only my last photo updloaded

Aristaeus63

Oct 6, 2016, 10:22:04 AM10/6/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
It's from the instructions on how to post a photo on Google Maps.

hvbemmel

Oct 6, 2016, 10:44:05 AM10/6/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
Paolo, sorry, I mistyped, I edited my text now. NO tags

There is one long line of photos. 1098 in your case. When you scroll down more markers will show up, but there is no way to search for a certain photo. Even worse when you click on one photo, you will have to sart all over again from the beginning. In every photo you see three dots (right top) there you can share or delete.
right of the total views you see the word data. when you click that you can sort by views or as now by date. newest first
Only photos directly uploaded to GM will show views. See screenshot.

.

Bartolomeo Gorgoglione

Oct 6, 2016, 11:34:38 AM10/6/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
I believe Panoramio or Google or whoever is taking any decision about closing down Panoramio galleries MUST provide a clear communication to all Panoramio users, to clearly state what's going on and options provided to people. We deserve it after years of enthusiast contribution to built such a huge image collection. As previously said also this forum will at some point shut down, so an email to all user will be much appreciated.

Specifically:
- what's the fate of pictures on our panoramio galleries? Specifying about mapped, unmapped, not selected for GE and Look around.
- Will be the pictures still available via panoramio website? or how they will be transferred to GE, maps or whatever website? Is that an automatic process or we need to decide for them ? Can any user download a zip file with all is own images uploaded in panoramio? What's the time available for taking that decision (what's happen on 4th November precisely?)?
- What about number of views, comments, groups, favorite image and favorite photographers...will all those unique characteristic of panoramio be lost? Is there any way to save e.g. comments received for specific images?
- What king of copyright license will be applied to images transferred to the new system? Images will retain our preference or be classified all under the same copyright license?

Best wishes to all Panoramio users, it has been a pleasure to be part of this community for such long time !
Bart

digitography

Oct 6, 2016, 12:32:16 PM10/6/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
I have just signed up to ipernity, and it looks very good.
If anything a lot more organised than panoramio.
2 quid (GBP) per month won't break the bank, but with so many other free options like Flckr, it makes me wonder what future there is for ipernity?

digitography

Oct 6, 2016, 12:50:59 PM10/6/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
Agreed.

On Wednesday, 5 October 2016 10:16:40 UTC+1, laurence_cox wrote:
Let's all start by agreeing to boycott their 'Local Guides program'. We don't upload photos just to provide links to businesses, which is what they seem to think we are going to do (if business owners want to upload pictures showing off their businesses, they are quite entitled to do so, but it wasn't what Panoramio was set up for).

JBTHEMILKER

Oct 6, 2016, 1:07:04 PM10/6/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
I get an error message when I go to the link that answers everything.

Pierre M.

Oct 6, 2016, 3:09:53 PM10/6/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)

Hello Hermann !
Very bad news... but life continue. I 'm happy to discover Panormio few years ago.
 members help me to improve myself and I discover lot of very good photos and area.

Thks All

Pierre

CliveM

Oct 6, 2016, 4:01:41 PM10/6/16
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your help and patient moderation over the years.

The link says
  • Images will only show in Google Maps if you have linked your profile with a Google+ account and you are attributing photos using your name (rather than Panoramio nickname).
What does "attributing photos using your name" mean and how do we do so?

[Later edit] I've discovered the answer for myself, I think. I was connected to my Google account, but not to my Google+ account. I've now used the Panoramio settings to connect to my Google+ account and now in various places you can all find out who I am!

CliveM

Oct 6, 2016, 4:09:00 PM10/6/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
I got an error message as well using Chrome, but for me it worked in Microsoft Edge. Try using a different browser.