Translation from Greek

Roger Powell

Dec 13, 2013, 10:59:00 PM12/13/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
I've noticed recently that, in the Comments section, my attempts to use the translate button fail when translating from Greek to English. I just get a repeat of the same Greek message each time and am misleadingly told that it has been translated from English!

I have not noticed this for any other language, they all seem to work well.

I have tried this in both Win 7 & Win 8 PCs, using Chrome and IE on both platforms. Also on IPad with IOS 7.0.4 using Chrome and Safari. The same lack of translation from Greek occurs each time.

A random example:

Christos Theodorou on November 28

Θαυμάσια φωτογράφηση. Χαιρετίσματα!

Θαυμάσια φωτογράφηση. Χαιρετίσματα!

hvbemmel

Dec 14, 2013, 12:32:26 AM12/14/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
will report, thanks

~Marlene~

Dec 15, 2013, 2:06:04 AM12/15/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
You are not alone, Roger… It's the same for me!

Christos Theodorou

Dec 26, 2013, 4:16:21 PM12/26/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Dear Roger,
I noticed your post today. The translation of the example you wrote is "Wonderful Capture. Greetings !" If this simple sentence cannot be translated, using the translator button, perhaps the greek crisis infected Google & Panoramio :-)  I have the same problem with mixed languages in a message, but I think it is normal, because the system cannot read two languages at the same message. Some languages also, especially the slavian, cannot be translated well and many words remain the same after the translation.
Have a Happy New Year, with less problems in Panoramio
Kind regards
Christos

~Marlene~

Dec 26, 2013, 4:54:13 PM12/26/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Last night, I had German translate into Hatian Creole! Not very helpful...

Roger Powell

Dec 26, 2013, 8:24:25 PM12/26/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Christos. :))

I can of course translate comments by copying and pasting to "Google Translate" but that method gets a bit tedious, even though it actually works. (I knew your comment would be a positive one!)

For the record, Greek will still not translate into English. One of Panoramio's strengths is/was its "Translate" button, allowing global conversations which otherwise would be near impossible. Now it is broken, just like the data base, the groups, the tags, the lost features, the slide show....

However, despite your natural fears for the Greek economy, Christos, I think it could be much worse for Greece if it became infected with the Panoramio crisis. :-|

Adam Lasnik

Dec 26, 2013, 9:51:03 PM12/26/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

We're aware of this situation and will be investigating more when we're back in the office.  Sorry for the weird translations in the meantime.

Roger Powell

Dec 27, 2013, 12:05:54 AM12/27/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Adam!
: ))

Christos Theodorou

Dec 27, 2013, 4:18:06 PM12/27/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
I just noticed that everywhere I wrote "friendly greetings" in my messages are translated in greek as "homosexual greetings".

This is unbelievable !

Please do something about the translator, because your members are exposed irreparably with simple innocent messages translated with inappropriate meaning.

Kind regards and with all my rights reserved

Christos

Adam Lasnik

Dec 27, 2013, 5:41:34 PM12/27/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Christos, I'm sorry that you've experienced some poor and potentially uncomfortable translations!  Would you mind sending feedback directly to the Translate team via the Send Feedback option noted here?  I am certain that they would appreciate the opportunity to improve the translations, though understandably they may not be able to promptly fix each individual situation.  Thank you!

Christos Theodorou

Dec 28, 2013, 6:37:08 AM12/28/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Dear Adam,
thanks for your reponse, I report the problem to the site in order to do your best for ameliorate the translations.
Yesterday evening I had a lot of problems with my girlfriend, who doesnot know english well and pressed the translation button on my photo - messages at her PC.
That's why I think that **this feedback must sent from you to the Translate team**. I'm just a greek lawyer, I'm not a website moderator, to know all these links. I opened the link you sent me, but I cannot understand how to do it.
Happy New Year to you and your family,
Christos

Christos Theodorou

Dec 28, 2013, 6:51:19 AM12/28/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Kind regards (not "friendly greetings" anymore) :-)
Christos

RoarX

Dec 28, 2013, 6:51:49 AM12/28/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com

Christos, in order to use the "send feedback" function in Google translate. You must first go to Google translate: http://translate.google.com/
You will find the feedback option in the lower right corner. There you can explain the wrong translation and suggest a new one.

Enjoy the weekend!

hvbemmel

Dec 28, 2013, 7:00:51 AM12/28/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com