How archive Panoramio freely licensed photos to Wikimedia Commons?

shizhao

Oct 19, 2016, 9:39:23 AM10/19/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
Hi, All. I'm a Wikimedia Commons admin, and run a bot Panoramio upload bot,it from Panoramio auto upload freely licensed (cc-by and cc-by-sa licenses) photos to Wikimedia Commons.

Panoramio about 140M photo, and about 1-1.5 M freely licensed photos. Now I have upload about 200000 photos to Wikicommons, but Before November 4, I can not upload all the 1M + photos to the wikicommons. Who is there any way?

After 4 November, if Panoramio original photo URL(like this: http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/19663640.jpg ) keep no changed, so I can first crawl the metadata of the photo pages, after that uploaded to the wikicommons. When will Panoramio original photo URL change?

Need your help! thx!

hvbemmel

Oct 19, 2016, 10:02:03 AM10/19/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
All Panoramio photos will be available on Panoramio until November 2017. so that goes for the CC photos too.

laurence_cox

Oct 19, 2016, 12:17:06 PM10/19/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
I can see that it is obviously easier for you to write a bot to crawl all of Panoramio and auto upload freely licensed photos to Wikimedia Commons, but is it worth doing? Just because a photo is freely licensed, doesn't mean that it is the most suitable for Wikimedia Commons. Why not simply ask people here to list the URLs of pictures they would be willing to have uploaded (of course they would also have to set the appropriate rights on each individual picture), but that would also give you access to some of the remaining 139M photos.

ikar.us

Oct 19, 2016, 1:45:53 PM10/19/16
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
How are you going to attribute them properly?
How are you going to keep the attribution when the Panoramio user pages will have disappeared?

How are you categorizing them, to make them at least potentially useful?

I request you to exlude my photos from your flooding action.

Draken

Oct 19, 2016, 6:26:32 PM10/19/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
I DO NOT grant you permission to use any of my photos.

©draken

user 8557.

All my photos are copyright protected.

Wim Constant

Oct 19, 2016, 7:56:12 PM10/19/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
My photos are also copyright protected, but at Wikimedia they don't give a fuck about copyright! Several of my photos ar published on Wikimedia, WITHOUT MY PERMISSION!
I sent several emails asking to remove the photos!
They don't even have the decency to answer my emails!

VietovesLt

Oct 20, 2016, 2:18:22 AM10/20/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
Strange people here...Shizhao said, that he uploading only free licensed photos.

It means: Panoramio - > Settings -> Pin NOT by All Rights Reserved, but by SOME RIGHTS RESERVES and by Allow commercial use? and, I think, Allow modifications?

Anyway, I can't understand how it is possible to protect photos, which you uploaded to internet for copying.. If it is property, which You don't want to share with others, first what You need to do, You need NOT upload photo to the internet :) You can, for example, present the exhibition in the library with no permission to take photos with cameras :) if You want to stay safe...

For my personal opinion, all my photos are property by all Internet community and, as we know, only sharing of your good things is power of improvement of our world.

shizhao

Oct 21, 2016, 11:43:49 AM10/21/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)

Baycrest

Oct 21, 2016, 12:49:49 PM10/21/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
According to my knowledge, many people have wrongly chosen the license for their photos. If you don't want Wikipedia / Wikimedia Commons to collect your photos, on settings page you should select either "No" to "Allow commercial use?" or "No" to "Allow modifications?", or simply select "All rights reserved". If you select "Yes" to "Allow commercial use?" and "Yes" to "Allow modifications?", then what you do is equivalent to give others permission under CC-BY-SA license, thus Wikipedia / Wikimedia Commons have the permission to collect your photos and let others reuse your photos under same license condition. Please check again your license terms in the settings page if you are really care about the permission.

hvbemmel

Oct 22, 2016, 12:09:06 AM10/22/16
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
Attributing a CC right to a photo, or all your photos has been done deliberately, it´s not the default, so it is by choice.
I think you will find it very difficult to successfully withdraw the CC license once it has been given, because those wo used  your photos under CC will never know.

Baycrest

Oct 23, 2016, 7:34:36 AM10/23/16
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
In legal terms you can't revoke a CC license, but who know you have changed the license?
Unless Wikipedia contributors have already transfered your CC photos to Wikipedia, you still have a chance to change the license and nobody knows :P

Baycrest

Oct 23, 2016, 7:41:17 AM10/23/16
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
To shizhao, it is always a good practice to ask for confirmation from users before doing a mass transfer. You may earn 1.5M photos now but you may loss many more photos & edits in future if what you do make users angry.

johnmewing

Aug 31, 2017, 11:31:06 AM8/31/17
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)

johnmewing

Aug 31, 2017, 11:37:21 AM8/31/17
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
Shizhao
I think I have about 3000 pics on Panoramio many of which have txt included. I'd like to run a bot to move all the pics and their txt to Commons. A cc license is no problem for me.  Most of the txt is from wikipedia with some of my own. Is there a bot that can do it?  I'm not a programmer so I don't know if it's possible.

johnmewing

Aug 31, 2017, 11:41:21 AM8/31/17
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
Laurence
The major issue for me is not that of rights, I'm for open exposure, but that of keeping the txt I put with the pics intact with the pics.
John Ewing