User: 6331223

Peter van Lom

Jun 17, 2014, 4:35:05 AM6/17/14
After showing breaching of the rules by these following users they were banned
from Panoramio. The users participating in the forum were heard.

I'm forced to take up user 6331223 again.

We showed copyright breach and boosting of viewcount. This user was banned from PANORANK but not from Panoramio.

Wim Constant

Jun 17, 2014, 5:06:41 AM6/17/14
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
To this I would also like to add:

He has stolen pictures of football stadiums all over the world and posted as being taken by himself.
This thief needs also to be removed

Op dinsdag 17 juni 2014 10:35:05 UTC+2 schreef Peter van Lom:
After showing breaching of the rules by these following users they were banned
from Panoramio. The users participating in the forum were heard.

Adam Lasnik

Jun 23, 2014, 5:36:50 PM6/23/14
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone,

Let's not start public witch hunts, please.  I realize it can be dispiriting if it's felt that some do not play by the rules, but I think it's also very disconcerting for new users to come into the forum and see so many threads calling out specific photographers.

Additionally, I want to re-emphasize that we are only able to take action on accounts re: intellectual property if the content owner appropriately files a DMCA request with us.

Hans Sterkendries

Jun 23, 2014, 6:11:00 PM6/23/14
Adam, with all due respect: your interpretation of the DMCA legislation is one where the (ab)user is shielded from the consequences of his/her actions unless very strict formalities are fullfilled. The true reason of the DMCA legislation was to protect hosting services and websites from legal prosecution for the actions of the (ab)users, not to protect the thiefs (because like it or not: intellectual property is still just that, property).

I don't like the idea of public witch hunts either. But nor do I like the idea of new users coming to the site whose very first action is to upload the Windows desktop pictures they accidently found on their computer. Or any other series of pictures they did not make themself. Panoramio used to have a pretty clear rule: don't upload picture you did not make yourself. If it's so hard to live up to that simple rule, make your own website! I strongly regret this position has been abandoned. On the upload page is a reference to the Panoramio acceptance policy where it says "Unacceptable types of photos: Photos that someone else took, even if you credit the original photographer". Don't be a hypocrite: if that still is the Panoramio position, act accordingly. if not: remove the reference!

And sure, you can hide behind the DMCA regulation for intellectual property but boosting viewcounts to a level that it because obvious for everyone is a completely different story. there is not a single law preventing you from taking actions against such behaviour.

Wim Constant

Jun 23, 2014, 6:16:11 PM6/23/14
Hey, Adam,

We know that the owner should complain.
But isn't that strange?
Translated this means that I can not call the police, if there is a burglar in my neighbors house, or if I see an robbery in progress
Or even worse, if a child is molested, I'm not allowed to interfere!
This is against my feeling of justice!

Lady GooGoo La La

Jun 24, 2014, 1:19:18 AM6/24/14
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
In my opinion copywrite violations is the backbone of Youtube popularity, Panoramio will surely go by the same road. I think Google hides behind this law to increase user participation and increase view counts.

Sad as this will ruin Panoramio for what I believe its was designed to be, I guess this is progress, but the end result will be all web sites looking the same, with huge numbers of pseudo-photos and copywrite violations.

I've seen space satellites displayed by Panoramio too, I suppose the photogragpher was just lucky to by there as it zoomed by at 50,000 kph....must have used fast shutter speed the photo wasnt even blurry.

The future of Panoramio is sad, I think it will become just another trashy web site until it gets abandoned as an also ran.

hvbemmel

Jun 24, 2014, 2:00:08 AM6/24/14
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Sad as it may be, when authorities fail to act when public interests are endangered by individuals, breaking rules have no consequences, anarchy is near. People will take justice in their own hands, may it be by discussing but ultimately by forcing the individual to alter his behavior one way or the other.

I do not encourage that, as history learns that there will be people also abusing this, but I do understand it.

Galatas ©

Jun 24, 2014, 3:27:51 AM6/24/14
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
What a pathetic response Adam.
Hans , Wim , and Herman have summed up my feelings on the matter so I won't duplicate them.

Peter van Lom

Jun 24, 2014, 3:59:32 AM6/24/14
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
@Adam,
I appreciate your feedback in this string/forum .And I fully agree with you. But sometimes a principle is that important that one can not just bend over.
Please read https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/panoramio-questions-support/Bz7GGCnUWTw . It shows not only copy right issues.....

@Lady GG LL ,
Exactly my point. It is all about standarts and credibility. At this point I think Panoramio and its users still have higher standarts. Please let us try to keep it that way.

@hvbemmel,
Do you mean that social control is better discussed in a  back room?

hvbemmel

Jun 24, 2014, 4:53:51 AM6/24/14
I certainly did not say that! I have nothing against naming and shaming as long as it stays with that.
I also do not agree with Adam when he says that " I think it's also very disconcerting for new users to come into the forum and see so many threads calling out specific photographers" .

This forum still has a group of moderators monitoring all threads throughout the day. contents that can not be tolerated mostly lasts not longer then a few hours, but mostly is gone in minutes. When users will be accused unjustified we will act, we will then remove usernumber / photonumbers and close threads.

If however an accusation, that the Panoramio rules have been broken blatantly or even laws are broken, is justified and extensively proven by evidence, Google, I deliberately do not say the Panoramio team, has a simple way to prevent a thread getting "disconcerting for new users": Give the team permission to act according to the Panoramio TOS. If there is a burglar in the house don´t keep the police away because there is no written permission to do so and the commissioner is asleep.

And that is what I wrote. When authorities do not act, users will act, which will not always be the nice way. I´m not talking about the comments here in the forum. Again, there still are moderators preventing things getting out of hand. What should be much more disconcerting for Google is what happens in the comments in the users gallery and outside Panoramio. Nobody is monitoring that, I read some, and nobody can edit or remove there. there the anarchy can have it´s own way.

That can be very disconcerting for potential new users.

Peter van Lom