Panoramio Google poeple can dowload your photos

NO VIEWS Xacobeo4

May 2, 2017, 12:52:07 PM5/2/17
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
I had a page in Panoramio Google I have downloaded some photos to put them in the other gallery that I am now but the great majority of my photos are still there, I am afraid to put them in google + since I have noticed that the photos are stolen from the old one Panoramio very easily I have found photos mias, that were in Panoramio and now they are in Flirck in a page of a Panoramio that they were robbed, I do not know if it is better to be able to save the best that they have left to put them in an external har drive and Save them which I have not done yet and when I go to the page I notice that there are almost empty pages where many photos of my best photos are probably stolen by unscrupulous ones and one of them was put on Flickr.
  I reported to the person and they removed the photo as they could in Yahoo? Flickr that was stolen, but who knows how many more was stolen, and put them and sells, by other galleries as they seize them, what do I do? If anyone could advise me, Thanks, Rebecca

Tomas K☼h☼ut

May 12, 2017, 7:07:29 AM5/12/17
to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
Rebecca, the simple fact is:

Anything you put on web can be copied (stollen).

This topic has been discussed here (and not only here) many times.

General advice and 100% bulletproof rule is:
To prevent any content from being stollen online - don't put it on the web.

Other hints - you can consider to put some "restrictions" on your content, to reduce (but not eliminate!) the chance of copying, or the interest of the thieves in your work:
  • Control access to your work - don't publish content publicly, but use a kind of "for your family, friends etc. only" setting if available.
    Panoramio did not provide any control of this kind - everything was absolutely public. G+, Google Photos, Facebook, ipernity, Flickr... provide much better control about the access of the audience.
  • Don't publish originals of your works - use cropped, downsized, watermarked versions of your photos. Having originals in your hands will give you the better chance to prove you are the author and the copyright owner (in the case of argument with not authorised publisher.
  • Use watermarks or hidden watermarks - this drives away only the stupid thieves, as watermark can be easily cropped or cloned out. But those stupid who copies your photos with your watermark...will advertise you in the end.
  • Publish on web site where original files are not accessible (at least to public audience). On some web sites you can control, to which size of your work have different audience groups access. Flickr and ipernity have good control. Google photos gives access to originals to you, but not to general public. Panoramio had no control about this (and IMHO it's not bad aproach in the terms of "transparency"). On Panoramio this issue was possible to solve with next rule:
  • Publish only small, downsized photos - they are less stunning, thus less attractive for thieves.
  • Publish on web site where easy direct download (right click + Save as...) is disabled. Smart thieves knows how to get over this (in fact, experienced web user can download anything he can see), but this could eliminate the stupid ones again.