Your photos on Google Maps - in the right location

daveren

May 4, 2016, 3:22:37 PM5/4/16
to Events & miscellaneous friendly chat
OK ..... I think I figured out what is going on with posting photos on Google Maps, as of May 2016.
I have always enjoyed the quality photos on Google Maps from Panoramio, but now it appears the photos on the map come in via various methods excluding Panoramio. (Even though it says it has been selected?)

Here are 2 ways you can post your photos (almost immediately) onto Google Maps:

1) Open Google Maps to a desired location.  Click on a location label - like "Sooke Potholes Provincial Park" or "Victoria". Click on the "Add Photos" button either at the end of the line of photos displayed at the bottom of the page or near the bottom of the information block on the left side.  The photo will be almost immediately posted (after refreshing the page.)
Note the even if your photo is properly geo-tagged, the final location indicated on Google Maps will be at the position of the label, not on the correct coordinates.  Photos here will show up in the Location information box on the left side with the reviews and stuff.

2) Post your photo on Panoramio and geo-tag it.  That's what we all want, right?
From the individual photo edit page in your Panoramio gallery simply click on the red [G+1] button - then click [Share]....... and SPANG!
Your photo is posted on the correct position on Google Maps.  It is also posted on your G+ Profile page.  I don't know if all your "Circle Friends" will get an email as well. (?)   Also note that the "Title" you type in just below the photo is taken for the label in Google Maps.  So your photo is there properly labeled and located - it even includes the Panoramio logo.

It is interesting that the post occurs so quickly.  I am thinking they are "approving" the photos using software.  Is this software also used when posting to Panoramio - providing an instant "approval" for Google Maps and Google Earth?  Its giving us that indication even if they aren't yet posted on either platform.

Probably things are still in the works for the Google Maps team in regard to getting photos into the correct location, but I believe we are going to see a large number of shots stuck around the location labels.  As well, photos uploaded using a smart-phone by any G+ user will be automatically geo-tagged and therefore all those photos will end up on Google Maps.  I fear that the quality Panoramio photos will become buried.

I would appreciate any comments or corrections.

Thank you for this opportunity to participate .................  Dave Renfroe

daveren

Jun 7, 2016, 1:14:53 PM6/7/16
to Events & miscellaneous friendly chat
Well......
Number 2) method for getting your photos in the right location doesn't seem to work now.

Sorry ..... I'm sure it was working as stated before.

Method 1) still works, but doesn't put the photo in the right location and your photo only shows up if you have searched for or clicked on a labeled location (e.g. Sooke Potholes Provincial Park.)

- Dave