Thanks / island of Soqotra

Unknown

Nov 4, 2013, 10:49:29 AM11/4/13
to Unknown
Dear community,

thanks for accepting me and offering to see your really great selection of very different habitats of the world! I think I should contribute something unique, and as I'm just returning from a journey to the island of Soqotra (in the Gulf of Aden, 300 km S of Yemen) I have something to post: Soqotra counts with > 300 endemic species, a unique  landscape, 60.000 very nice and peaceful inhabitants - and still nearly an absence of tourism (ca. 2.000 visitors annually).
Its geographic position made it able to preserve species, especially flora, that was extinct since the end of Tertiary in the rest of the world.

Since 2008 it is a UNESCO World Heritage site.

Soqotra at Wikipedia