Game: Proverbs (Popular sayings) Around the World

sixten_imgs

Jan 6, 2014, 2:43:54 AM1/6/14
A suggestion for a new game:

Proverbs Around the World

Do you have photos that remind you of some proverb, popular saying, from your own country or somewhere else? For example a photo where "Every cloud has a silver lining".

Also, if you know it, you can mention the country where the proverb is from. And hey, be careful out there :wink: , let's not start arguing what is the original country of some saying. Isn't it just interesting if there are similar proverbs around the world?

I think I will start with this one:

A new day shows a new way

(Proverb from Finland)

indri

Aug 1, 2010, 12:14:13 PM8/1/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
"One man's death is another man's bread"
While one pyre is still burning bystanders search to recuperate valuables in the scattered ashes of previous pyres.

Belgian proverb.

jgevans

Aug 1, 2010, 12:20:01 PM8/1/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
raining cats and dogs

Unknown Origin We use it here in USA. :)

Corneli

Aug 1, 2010, 1:01:04 PM8/1/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
¡Vete con la música a otra parte!
(You are not wellcome here!)
Spain

Plou poc pero, per a lo poc que plou, plou prou
(It rains a little, but no matter how little it rains, it rains enough)
Catalonia

sixten_imgs

Aug 1, 2010, 1:43:45 PM8/1/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks for joining the game, indri, Jean and Corneli :) . Corneli's second one seems to be a perfect point to start learning a new language!

indri

Aug 1, 2010, 1:56:27 PM8/1/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
Quote indri:

OK. In Flemish it is De ene zijn dood is de andere zijn brood.

indri

Aug 1, 2010, 2:16:20 PM8/1/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
Beter één vogel in de hand dan tien in de lucht (Flemish proverb)

Literal Translation: “Better one bird in the hand than ten in the sky”. Meaning: “One bird in the hand is better than two in the bush”.

jgevans

Aug 1, 2010, 4:05:18 PM8/1/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
When you arrive at a fork in the road, take it. :lol:
- Yogi Berra

USA

Yogi Berra is 85 years old ... and still going! He's a former American Major League Baseball player and manager and is known for his many quotable quotes.

RoarX

Aug 1, 2010, 4:58:39 PM8/1/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
>From Denmark and Norway:
Aften rød gir morgen sød, morgen rød gir aften blød.
(Evening red gives morning sweet, morning red gives evening wet.) literal and direct translation... word by word. Here is a less direct translation: Red evening gives a sweet (nice weather) morning, red morning gives a wet evening.

>From the days before modern weather forecasts, but its still valid up here in the north. :D

RoarX

Aug 1, 2010, 7:45:32 PM8/1/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
Quote indri:
OK. In Flemish it is De ene zijn dood is de andere zijn brood.

This is a proverb in Scandinavian countries to.
In Norwegian the same quote is: "Den enes død, (er) den andres brød" Not so different... actually, it can be more similar: "Den ene sin død, er den andre sit brød" but the first one is quicker to pronounce. Germanic languages has a lot of similarities. :D
This game can be interesting. 8)
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

indri

Aug 2, 2010, 11:44:15 AM8/2/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
Hij knijpt de katjes in het donker. Dutch saying.

Translated: He squeezes the kittens in the dark. Meaning, doing in the dark what one wouldn’t dare to do in daylight.

(I’ll delete if inappropriate).

Amelia Royan

Aug 2, 2010, 11:51:10 AM8/2/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
"Det fins ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær."

"There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing."

indri

Aug 2, 2010, 1:08:00 PM8/2/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
Se non è vero, è ben trovato.
Italian proverb

Translation: "If it's not true, it's a good story."
Here the billboard attracts the attention because of the image but it’s advertising a car wash !

~jean~

Aug 3, 2010, 10:56:28 AM8/3/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
Money doesn't grow on trees!.
USA

Refers to the value of money and hard work ... or lack there of.
Message has been deleted

indri

Aug 4, 2010, 7:23:41 AM8/4/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
"Take only pictures, leave only footprints, bring back only memories. ...

Not exactly a proverb but a catchy phrase that's often used in the tourism industry, now used worldwide to encourage visitors not to litter.
Message has been deleted

indri

Aug 6, 2010, 6:53:49 AM8/6/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
Liegen zonder met de ogen te knipperen. Dutch saying.

Translated, (able) to lie without blinking an eye.

jgevans

Aug 6, 2010, 11:18:07 PM8/6/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
The early bird catches the worm. John Ray's A collection of English proverbs 1670, 1678:

Success comes to those who prepare well and put in effort.

tonyloo

Aug 7, 2010, 1:18:29 AM8/7/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
Drunk like a fish, from my own collections.

keepclicking

Aug 7, 2010, 5:36:59 AM8/7/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
Up the creek

I have no idea where it came from.
Message has been deleted

indri

Aug 8, 2010, 9:53:16 AM8/8/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
You scratch my back I'll scratch yours

purdey12345

Aug 8, 2010, 11:29:40 AM8/8/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink

which could be the oldest English proverb still in regular use today. It was recorded as early as 1175.

Personally I prefer the Dorothy Parker variation but I couldn't find a suitable photo

:wink:

jeangregoryevans

Aug 8, 2010, 12:08:34 PM8/8/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
Lickety-split is an American phrase and may have Scottish roots ... it means very fast!

... ... ... ...

This church got a new steeple lickety-split.

They ordered a pre-fabricated steeple and set it in place lickety-place.

Amelia Royan

Aug 9, 2010, 2:44:01 AM8/9/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
A chain is no stronger than its weakest link.

indri

Aug 9, 2010, 10:27:34 AM8/9/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
Do we go to your place or to mine?

Popular saying around the World :oops:

jeangregoryevans

Aug 9, 2010, 2:49:01 PM8/9/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
Have a nice day ! USA

This is a parting comment to wish someone well.

GyurIca

Aug 9, 2010, 5:19:43 PM8/9/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com

Kutyából nem lesz szalonna. Hungarian

Out of a dog there will be no lard.
(A leopard cannot change his spots.)

GyurIca

Aug 9, 2010, 5:25:54 PM8/9/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
Madarat tolláról, embert barátjáról. Hungarian
A bird is recognised by her feathers, a man by his friend.

GyurIca

Aug 9, 2010, 5:32:44 PM8/9/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
A pontosság a királyok udvariassága. Hungarian
Punctuality is the politeness of kings.

Paxdeena

Aug 9, 2010, 5:34:17 PM8/9/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
Aan de veren kent men de vogel.:
Je kunt aan iemands uiterlijk al zien met wat voor iemand je te maken hebt.

On the feathers you recognice the bird - you can see on someones appearance who you are dealing with.

purdey12345

Aug 9, 2010, 7:45:31 PM8/9/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars

with apologies to Oscar Wilde

indri

Aug 10, 2010, 12:04:09 PM8/10/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
By Vespasien "pecunia non olet" money doesn't stink.

This vespasienne is free of charge :)

Paxdeena

Aug 11, 2010, 6:59:29 AM8/11/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com

1 zwaluw maakt het nog geen zomer!

One swallow doesn't mean it 's summer!

Paxdeena

Aug 11, 2010, 7:03:23 AM8/11/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com

Pronken met andermans veren!

Showing someone else his feathers!

Let other people think you came up with a idea ,when it's really someone else his idea.

GyurIca

Aug 11, 2010, 9:43:11 AM8/11/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
Ne igyál előre a medve bőrére! Hungarian
Do not drink in advance on the skin of a bear!

Paxdeena

Aug 11, 2010, 5:53:06 PM8/11/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com

Zo vrij als een vogel

As free as a bird

Paxdeena

Aug 11, 2010, 6:02:37 PM8/11/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com

Een man zonder vrouw is als een paard zonder teugels - in het huwelijk hebben man en vrouw elkaar nodig.

Age and wedlock tames man and beast.

Sandy065

Aug 11, 2010, 7:34:14 PM8/11/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com

Nu-ţi arăta toţi dinţii din gură către alţii

Don't show all the teeth in your mouth to the others.

keepclicking

Aug 13, 2010, 9:02:36 AM8/13/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
An Englishmens home is his castle

-Anonymous-

Aug 13, 2010, 5:05:55 PM8/13/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com

keepclicking

Aug 14, 2010, 3:54:41 AM8/14/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
The writings on the wall

keepclicking

Aug 16, 2010, 4:16:17 PM8/16/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
Through the eye of a needle

indri

Aug 17, 2010, 12:50:18 PM8/17/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
" Pour vivre heureux vivons cachés" French saying.

Translation "lets hide to live happy" meaning not to attract attention if you don't want to be harassed.

Paxdeena

Aug 19, 2010, 7:08:25 PM8/19/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com

Kip op de weg

Iif you have a very slow driver before you ,you say this:Chicken on the road !!

Dames gaan voor! - Lady's first!

keepclicking

Aug 20, 2010, 3:15:06 AM8/20/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
A womens work is never done.

indri

Aug 21, 2010, 3:11:17 AM8/21/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
Beam me up, Scotty.

keepclicking

Aug 21, 2010, 5:28:29 AM8/21/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
Stop being a horses arse.

keepclicking

Aug 21, 2010, 11:36:23 AM8/21/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
If you live in a glass house, you shouldn't throw stones.

jgevans

Aug 21, 2010, 6:35:58 PM8/21/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
'Make hay while the sun shines'

English Tudor origin

meaning 'Make the most of one's opportunities while you have the chance'.

keepclicking

Aug 22, 2010, 1:53:19 AM8/22/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
What goes up, must come down.
Message has been deleted

Daan Prinsloo

Aug 30, 2010, 6:31:51 AM8/30/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
'n Gebou wat nie bewaar word nie, word deur die natuur gesloop. (Afrikaans)
**Builder's proverb**: A building that is not well maintained, will be demolished by nature.

Daan Prinsloo

Aug 30, 2010, 6:43:22 AM8/30/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
Birds of a feather flock together (mostly)

Sandy065

Aug 30, 2010, 6:46:30 AM8/30/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
Apa trece, pietrele rămân

The water passes the rocks are staying (about enduring)

Message has been deleted

keepclicking

Sep 13, 2010, 3:40:59 PM9/13/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
There's one born every minute

indri

Sep 28, 2010, 1:10:42 PM9/28/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
Say it with Flowers

Message has been deleted

©Carmelo ॐ Basta

Oct 13, 2010, 3:15:51 PM10/13/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
The eyes are the mirror of the soul.
Gli occhi sono lo specchio dell'anima.
Los ojos son el espejo del alma.
Die Augen sind der Spiegel der Seele.
Les yeux sont le miroir de l'âme.
العينين هما مرآة الرو

Andrea Allasio

Oct 30, 2010, 8:01:17 AM10/30/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
An apple a day, keeps the doctor away !

Uhm...I need some more apples

indri

Nov 28, 2010, 10:01:30 AM11/28/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence

keepclicking

Dec 2, 2010, 4:49:28 AM12/2/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
What a tangled web we weave

keepclicking

Dec 6, 2010, 2:34:21 PM12/6/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
Autumn is the second spring when every leaf is a flower.

Albert Camus

keepclicking

Dec 6, 2010, 5:48:39 PM12/6/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
He knew everythng about literature except how to enjoy it.

Joseph Hellers

keepclicking

Dec 7, 2010, 2:01:10 PM12/7/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
The Scales of Justice

"If there were no bad people, there would be no good lawyers".
Charles Dickens

tirino

Dec 9, 2010, 9:56:27 AM12/9/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
Rosso di sera, bel tempo si spera (ITALIA)Red sky at night, shepperds delight

Marina 2

Dec 9, 2010, 10:07:06 AM12/9/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
Before you find your handsome prince, you have to kiss a lot of toads.

keepclicking

Dec 9, 2010, 11:53:05 AM12/9/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
Quote tirino:
Rosso di sera, bel tempo si spera (ITALIA)Red sky at night, good weather hopefully

In English, the rythme is : Red sky at night, shepperds delight. :wink:

keepclicking

Dec 9, 2010, 11:55:24 AM12/9/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
Back handed compliment

Marina 1

Dec 10, 2010, 4:17:12 PM12/10/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
All that glitters is not gold - Non è tutto oro quel che luccica

tirino

Dec 12, 2010, 12:04:01 PM12/12/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
IL mondo è fatto a scale, chi le scende e chi le sale (ITALIA)
The world is made in steps
someone up the stairs and somebody goes down

Randy Hall

Dec 12, 2010, 12:31:56 PM12/12/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
She's got all her ducks in a row.

keepclicking

Dec 12, 2010, 4:04:45 PM12/12/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com

Solitary trees, if they grow at all, grow strong.
Winston Churchill

tirino

Dec 17, 2010, 2:57:21 PM12/17/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
Still waters run deep. L'acqua cheta rovina i ponti

Time flies.

Marina 1

Dec 18, 2010, 4:00:57 PM12/18/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
It's best to sleep on a problem - La notte porta consiglio
Night is the mother of council

indri

Dec 24, 2010, 5:23:34 AM12/24/10
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
Never eat the yellow snow!

doggy was here

Marina 1

Jan 22, 2011, 3:11:26 PM1/22/11
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
'Every cloud has a silver lining' - 'Non tutto il male vien per nuocere'.

Philipp.

Jan 22, 2011, 3:16:48 PM1/22/11
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com

Third time is a charm - Aller guten Dinge sind drei.

Daan Prinsloo

Jan 25, 2011, 6:35:03 AM1/25/11
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
"Die een se dood is die ander se brood" (Afrikaans)

The one's death is the other one's meal

indri

Jan 25, 2011, 10:11:00 AM1/25/11
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
The higher a monkey climbs the more you can see of its bottom

Sifaka's are not monkeys butt still primates :?

Daan Prinsloo

Jan 25, 2011, 2:34:28 PM1/25/11
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
A bird in the hand ...

is worth two in the bush

Marina 1

Jan 31, 2011, 3:18:55 PM1/31/11
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
A thing of beauty is a joy forever.

keepclicking

Jan 31, 2011, 3:47:47 PM1/31/11
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
A guilty conscience needs to confess. A work of art is a confession.

Albert Camus

indri

Apr 5, 2011, 10:52:27 AM4/5/11
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
King Richard III :
A horse, a horse! My kingdom for a horse!

GyurIca

Apr 11, 2011, 4:05:49 PM4/11/11
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
Evés közben jön meg az étvágy - Appetite comes while eating.

keepclicking

Apr 16, 2011, 3:38:30 AM4/16/11
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
We aim to please.

GyurIca

Apr 16, 2011, 2:25:10 PM4/16/11
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
He who is close to the fire, will get warm best.

Aki közel van a tűzhöz, az jobban melegszik.

keepclicking

May 7, 2011, 1:37:49 PM5/7/11
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
We are all special cases - Albert Camus, famous French philosopher.

Some cases are more special than others. - KeepClicking, pano player.

indri

May 20, 2011, 1:15:39 PM5/20/11
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
Light at the end of the tunnel
(better times are coming soon)

Licht aan het einde van de tunnel

keepclicking

May 30, 2011, 4:41:15 AM5/30/11
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
Possesion isn't nine tenths of the law, it's nine tenths of the problem

John Lenon

indri

Jun 3, 2011, 2:04:40 PM6/3/11
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
The best things in life are free

Open your eyes and your mind to see marvels unseen by others.

sixten_imgs

Oct 25, 2011, 12:23:23 PM10/25/11
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
.
He was there like an ermine

A saying used in Finland when someone wants to be somewhere very eagerly and very fast.

Sandy065

Oct 25, 2011, 6:54:12 PM10/25/11
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
The locks on a door are for honest people.

YvesSch

Oct 29, 2011, 10:20:05 PM10/29/11
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
A story is told as much by silence as by speech - Susan Griffin

sixten_imgs

Nov 18, 2011, 8:39:21 AM11/18/11
to panoramio-game...@googlegroups.com
.
The one found guilty is a suspect evermore

Message has been deleted
It is loading more messages.