Command Line on Mac

Torsten-E. Mirow

Sep 14, 2012, 7:12:54 AM9/14/12
to panini-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
how can i start Panini.app and open a image via command line?
i tried it in this way  open -a Panini.app pan.jpg but panini open without opening the image.
 open -a Panini.app equi pan.jpg will produce an error.
has anybody an idea?

Thanks

Tom Sharpless

Sep 14, 2012, 9:54:53 AM9/14/12
to panini-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Torsten
I am not familiar with MacOS command line syntax, so I hope others can help you there.  If drag-n-drop works on your system, you should be able to use the equivalent command line.
What I can tell you is that Panini should accept one or more file names to open (more than one is valid only for a set of cube faces) and does not recognize any switches or modifiers.
--Tom

Thomas Sharpless

Sep 14, 2012, 10:49:44 AM9/14/12
to panini-...@googlegroups.com
BTW Panini will show the projection dialog before displaying an image, unless it recognizes it as equirectangular (exact 2:1 aspect ratio) or cubic (cubic QTVR or 6 square images).   If that dialog appears, the image file has in fact been opened.

Carl von Einem

Sep 14, 2012, 11:37:57 AM9/14/12
to panini-...@googlegroups.com
According to 'man open' the appropriate command would be something like
this:

open -a Panini.app '/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/full/path/to/file.jpg'

...but that didn't work here. What do you want to achieve with this?

Carl

Torsten-E. Mirow schrieb am 14.09.12 13:12:
> Hi,
> how can i start Panini.app and open a image via command line?
> i tried it in this way open -a Panini.app pan.jpg but panini open
> without opening the image.
> open -a Panini.app equi pan.jpg willproduce an error.

Carlos Eduardo G. Carvalho (Cartola)

Sep 14, 2012, 12:47:14 PM9/14/12
to panini-...@googlegroups.com
I have already tried in the past to do the same call in a FreeBSD command line and it also didn't work. I tried the simple:

Panini xxx.jpg

and it just opened the empty window, but I didn't have any special need to have it working, just wanted to save some seconds of my life.

Cheers,

Carlos E G Carvalho (Cartola)
http://cartola.org/360
http://www.panoforum.com.br/

Tom Sharpless

Sep 14, 2012, 1:30:41 PM9/14/12
to panini-...@googlegroups.com
Well, that's funny.  It works just fine from the command line on Windows.  On Mac and Linux, perhaps commandline args don't arrive at my commandline() function (maybe because Qt modifies argc,argv ??).  Would one of you Linux users be willing to try to debug this?
--Tom

Harry van der Wolf

Sep 14, 2012, 2:00:34 PM9/14/12
to panini-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Normally the command would indeed be
open -a Panini.app '/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/full/path/to/file.jpg'

But that would be for an application made for OS X with the special "structure" that passes command line switches "through"  the bundle.

As this is not a real OS X application you need to do it the Linux way by calling the binary directly.

So that would make:
/Applications/Panini.app/Contents/MacOS/Panini '/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/full/path/to/file.jpg'

Change the /Applications path to the appropriate path in case you have Panini.app somewhere else.

And that works. Just tested it.

Harry

Carlos Eduardo G. Carvalho (Cartola)

Sep 14, 2012, 3:03:22 PM9/14/12
to panini-...@googlegroups.com
Before offering me as a tester I have tested here in an Ubuntu 12.04 at work and it worked ok from command line:

Panini xxx.jpg

I've tested with many images, worked with everyone, all equirectangulars. I will test again on FreeBSD when I arrive home later.

Tks,

Thomas Sharpless

Sep 14, 2012, 5:50:40 PM9/14/12
to panini-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Harry
Now that MacOS is Unix, it makes sense that it should run programs the Unix way.

Thanks, Carlos
I also seem to remember Panini running ok from commandline on Ubuntu.  Maybe there is something odd about Qt command parsing on BSD.

Carlos Eduardo G. Carvalho (Cartola)

Sep 14, 2012, 5:57:06 PM9/14/12
to panini-...@googlegroups.com
I think there is something odd about my memory :)

Have just tested it here at home on a BSD and it worked... we better forget what I said before ;)

Tks all,