Panini-Pro beta 4 released

Tom Sharpless

Aug 15, 2011, 12:13:52 AM8/15/11
to Panini Support
The 4th beta version of Panini-Pro is up on the test site.

Beta4 adds useful help and About dialogs and the straight-line
reference grid several of you asked for. The help dialogs document
the mouse and keyboard shortcuts that a power user needs to know. And
of course there are bug fixes; and no more "pixmap is a null pixmap"
messages on Mac.

With this release I think Panini-Pro has a fully usable basic GUI, and
I shall turn my attention to functional issues for awhile: lens
calibration, automatic camera/lens recognition, and video processing.

Cheers.
-- Tom
Message has been deleted

tonesh

Aug 16, 2011, 6:42:53 AM8/16/11
to Panini Support
Hi Tom,
no errors for now on mac, and everything seems to work.
Thanks for the window-aligned grid option!

Toni

PhotoComix

Aug 20, 2011, 12:32:49 PM8/20/11
to Panini Support
Still i could not find how to download the beta, could you repost the
download link, please

Thomas Sharpless

Aug 20, 2011, 12:46:16 PM8/20/11
to panini-...@googlegroups.com
The Panini-Pro beta download page is http://tksharpless.net/paniniv1/

-- Tom

Carlos Chegado Lists

Sep 26, 2011, 12:38:27 PM9/26/11
to panini-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the Panini-Pro beta 4 release, here are a few remarks.

I am not sure how to setup the Preferences. Clicking on the (?) green button does bring a menu with the Preferences option, but selecting it does nothing. One regular annoyance is that when checking a series of equirectangular files I sometimes close the Panini window and starting over makes me set the darn thing again.

Another issue I have is the subsampling, in example, when I open an equirectangular file with Panini, it displays something like: Loaded xxxpano.tif 72.0 MPix at 12.0 MPix and this is no good to check them panos in detail because as soon as I zoom in the jaggies take over and everything looks awful!

In my opinion, Panini-Pro needs to find a way to display panos in a pixel accurate way like FSP Viewer does. On my Mac I find myself using FSP Viewer more often than Panini Pro even with the inconvenience of running it trough Wine exactly because of how well it display the images.

My best regards
Os melhores cumprimentos

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Carlos Chegado

360º Immersive Experiences

Carlos Chegado Lists

Sep 27, 2011, 4:39:09 AM9/27/11
to panini-...@googlegroups.com, tksha...@gmail.com
Hi Tom,

In this last beta I am getting a white stripe in the joint of the equirectangular files, check the attached image. The same image when viewed on other viewers doesn't display this oddity.

PS: This image is © Jaime Brotons Cano.
Panini_White_Line.jpg

GeorgeRow

Sep 29, 2011, 10:55:19 AM9/29/11
to Panini Support
Tom,
Thanks for releasing this Beta.

I am really enjoying using Panini Pro.

a) a feature request - of sorts
The "live" view of an image being transformed is great - I anticipate
using it as a background image projected onto the wall at photo
exhibitions and the like. I have used Quicktime-screen capture to
create a video ... but if it was easy to do I would make a feature
request for some way to "program" a set of transformations that could
be played live. Maybe this could be done by either giving Panini a
file from which it would take commands or else somehow specifying a
set of parameters to be varied and giving it a rates of change and
boundary values for each parameter and leaving Panini to generate a
random video within those limits.

b) a problem that Panini-Pro might help me with if I understood how
I use Hugin to generate flattened stereographic panoramas such as this
one:
http://www.redbubble.com/people/veryireland/art/7822811-beltany-stone-circle-donegal
I find that when I have a large central feature, the scale of which I
have exaggerated a bit - like the large standing stone in that case,
then I get a Chromatic-Aberation-like coloured fringing around the
large object. (In that image above I have edited it pixel by pixel in
Photoshop to ameliorate some of the fringing.) It is usually magenta
and green rather than the classic CA red and green.

At first glance Panini seems to create coloured fringes similar to
those created by Hugin. I have experimented a bit with the Spot
Shaping tools and there seems to be some potential there for managing
this effect. Is there any significance to the fact that there are
three and they are colour coded Red Green and Blue? Do you think this
would be worth pursuing? I have skimmed the Panini-Quick-Start.pdf
beta-test-notes.pdf ... (They are printing as I type this so that I
can read them properly ... I still find some uses for paper!) Is
there any other documentation I should look at?

I suspect that my fisheye lens introduced some TCA (transverse
chromatic aberration) I did nothing to remove that in my initial post-
production processing of the source images ... do you think that the
fringing I am seeing could be an "amplification" of that source TCA
rather than a new artefact introduced by Panini (and Hugin)? In that
case I would need to start by cleaning up the source images.

Thanks again for creating Panini-Pro - have you had any thoughts yet
about pricing? I would certainly be happy to pay somewhere in the
region of $20-$50 for a finished version.

George

Thomas Sharpless

Sep 29, 2011, 2:35:11 PM9/29/11
to panini-...@googlegroups.com
Hello George

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 10:55 AM, GeorgeRow <geor...@gmail.com> wrote:
Tom,
Thanks for releasing this Beta.

I am really enjoying using Panini Pro.

a) a feature request - of sorts
The "live" view of an image being transformed is great - I anticipate
using it as a background image projected onto the wall at photo
exhibitions and the like.  I have used Quicktime-screen capture to
create a video ... but if it was easy to do I would make a feature
request for some way to "program" a set of transformations that could
be played live.   Maybe this could be done by either giving Panini a
file from which it would take commands or else somehow specifying a
set of parameters to be varied and giving it a rates of change and
boundary values for each parameter and leaving Panini to generate a
random video within those limits.

I'm going to add a video recording feature someday, based on animating the controls.  But not any time soon.  Meanwhile you might want to try Pano2Movie (http://pano2movie.com/)

I don't think Panini-Pro could produce such an effect.  Hugin probably could, but ought not to.  I'd definitely recommend correcting TCA before stitching. There is indeed an amplification of TCA near zenith and nadir when you stitch to equirectangular.  Try shifting the center in Hugin so the nadir is in the middle of the eqr, and see if the effect is still there, or has moved to what is now where the nadir was.

Thanks again for creating Panini-Pro - have you had any thoughts yet
about pricing? I would certainly be happy to pay somewhere in the
region of  $20-$50 for a finished version.

You are welcome.  I was thinking more like $125?

Regards, Tom