beta test census

Thomas Sharpless

Jun 14, 2011, 9:32:04 PM6/14/11
to Panini Support
Hi PaniniPro beta testers, a quick survey for week 1.  Have you...

..downloaded a binary?
   Windows
   Mac
   both
   neither

..been able to run it?
   yes
   no
   haven't tried

..had any fun with it?
   yes
   no
   can't tell

..read the manual?
   yes
   no
   will someday

Best, Tom

Thomas Sharpless

Jun 15, 2011, 8:20:56 AM6/15/11
to Panini Support

Jun 15, 2011, 8:33:57 AM6/15/11
to panini-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom,

can you provide a download URL for Mac OS X?

Carl

Carlos Chegado Lists

Jun 19, 2011, 6:15:27 PM6/19/11
to panini-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom,

I downloaded and installed PaniniV1Beta on MacOSX 10.6 and when trying to run the app I get this error message:

QGLShader::link: "WARNING: Could not find vertex shader attribute 'gPpTCin' to match BindAttributeLocation request.

"

This is on a MBP '11

My best regards
Os melhores cumprimentos

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Carlos Chegado

360º Immersive Experiences

Carlos Chegado Lists

Jun 19, 2011, 6:22:42 PM6/19/11
to panini-...@googlegroups.com
If I click OK on the first message, I get a second one:

QPixmap::scaled: Pixmap is a null pixmap

But the app opens afterwards.

luca vascon

Jun 19, 2011, 6:46:25 PM6/19/11
to panini-...@googlegroups.com
2011/6/15 Thomas Sharpless <tksha...@gmail.com>:

> Hi PaniniPro beta testers, a quick survey for week 1.  Have you...
>
> ..downloaded a binary?

>    both

> ..been able to run it?

  yes on win xp64
no on old powerbook

> ..had any fun with it?

>    no

could not really make it work yet!

> ..read the manual?
>    yes
of course!
:-)

--
Luca Vascon.

www.nuovostudio.it
www.officinepanottiche.com

Thomas Sharpless

Jun 19, 2011, 10:24:30 PM6/19/11
to panini-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Carlos

There should be no more such messages about shader program symbols in the next version, which will be up in  a day or two.  It will also respond faster  to the mouse on large images, and offer a first look at my ultimate multi-perspective tools, called sectors.

-- Tom

Thomas Sharpless

Jun 20, 2011, 8:45:48 AM6/20/11
to Panini Support, bernardcustard

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 2:51 AM, bernardcustard <in...@bernardcustard.com> wrote:
Hi thomas,

I just downloaded the version of Mac and i been able to run it with a few bugs or adverts. I will right down i drop you an email with them.

> ..had any fun with it?
>    yes
>    no
>    can't tell

Yes plenty of fun.

> ..read the manual?
>    yes
>    no
>    will someday

I will do it soon.

Thanks for send us the link and it´s a pleasure to be a beta tester. This week i would send you two pictures of my demos.

Cheers,

Bernard Custard.

Thanks Bernard,

I 'm glad several people have been able to do the ftp download.  But I think it is too awkward, and the 'by-inivitation' mode is not friendly to users of Panini version 0 and other potential adopters.  So after one or two more updates I intend to have a web page where anyone can download beta builds with one click after registering contact information.  Later this will become the site where I sell the released Panini-Pro.

> Best, Tom

Carlos Chegado Lists

Jun 23, 2011, 3:26:05 PM6/23/11
to panini-...@googlegroups.com
Tom,

..downloaded a binary?
   Windows
   Mac <-- YES

   both
   neither

..been able to run it?
   yes <-- YES

   no
   haven't tried

..had any fun with it?
   yes <-- VERY MUCH

   no
   can't tell

..read the manual?
   yes <-- YES
   no
   will someday

I am enjoying PaniniV1 Beta very much, so cool, and does make wonderful planets, with much control on the final looks than other tools I used so far for that purpose.

BTW, I miss a way to set output prefs. like size, compression, etc.

Also, I am not sure how to save templates and reuse them, this would be great to have, plus a way to batch them.

But, so far so cool, thank you very much ;-)

My best regards
Os melhores cumprimentos

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Carlos Chegado

360º Immersive Experiences

Thomas Sharpless

Jun 23, 2011, 4:39:59 PM6/23/11
to panini-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Carlos

A new update will be ready this weekend, with more & better local perspective controls.

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 3:26 PM, Carlos Chegado Lists <c...@carloschegado.com> wrote:
[...]

Coming.  Size now is based on same pixel size as original when possible; if the original has to be reduced to fit in the OpenGL textures, then same as the reduced original.  Eventually will be able to render at any resolution.

You have some control over compression by choosing the output format.  Jpeg is the default, but if you add extension '.tif" to the file name you may get an uncompressed tiff file; ".png" is also possible.

Also, I am not sure how to save templates and reuse them, this would be great to have, plus a way to batch them.

This important feature is not yet ready.  But it is coming.   Applying a template to multiple input files had not occurred to me.  How do you think you would use it?

But, so far so cool, thank you very much ;-)

Thank you.  Please stay with the program, and in the end it will be quite a good product.

Best, Tom

Carlos Chegado Lists

Jun 24, 2011, 4:02:14 AM6/24/11
to panini-...@googlegroups.com
Tom,

Applying a template to multiple input files had not occurred to me.  How do you think you would use it?

Well, it's very rare that I have only one or two sphericals to work with on a given job, usually at the end of the day I have between 10 to 30 panos ready and it's quite time consuming to go to each one and try the usual odd perspectives to see is any good comes out, hence, what I do is to batch them first on a few standard transformations and quickly check them for potential. Once I identify which ones can be used for good output, I then focus on those two or three which in the end will output say good planets or some great odd looking perspectives.

It's really a time saver when you can batch a series of many images, to be able to select just a few good ones and spend the time just editing those good ones.

Another use would be to open an image and quickly apply a two or three pre-defined templates instead of starting from scratch each time, kind like we do with PTGui templates of Pano2VR droplets.

Actually, one of the annoying bits so far was that I couldn't yet find a way to include Panini on the right-click menu in order to open a certain file by right-clicking on it and select Panini. Don't know why, my system doesn't want to add Panini in there, so my workflow is basically to leave the Panini window open and drop the files I want to view in there. That works.

And if you ask me, another good use for templates would be i.e. like I do with PTGui and this transformations, most of the time, I setup and generate a small preview file that is usable to post on the Internet say with 1600px wide and save the settings file next to the source file, later, when I need to produce that same exact image but with high res for printing, I open the file again and render it at the needed size. This in the end saves me a lot of hard disk space given the thousands of images in my current portfolio.

Carlos Chegado Lists

Jun 24, 2011, 12:33:46 PM6/24/11
to panini-...@googlegroups.com
Tom,

When I try to load a fisheye image I only get a black screen!

The instructions say it should load fisheye images and that Panini is smart enough to figure the type of image by himself, so, what is going on here?

My best regards
Os melhores cumprimentos

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Carlos Chegado

360º Immersive Experiences

Thomas Sharpless

Jun 24, 2011, 1:57:47 PM6/24/11
to panini-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Carlos

 Panini is not that smart.  Eventually it will recognize your photos from EXIF plus the contents of the camera/lens database, but not yet.  It now recognizes only cubic panos, and guesses that a flat image with 2:1 aspect is a 360x180 equirecangular.  Otherwise you have to tell it the projection.

So when you load a fisheye photo, click the camera tool, select "generic camera" projection, set the hfov slider to the nominal angular width and the curve slider far right --  nearer 3 than 2.  Then select rectilinear view (keyboard shortcut "L") and experiment with these 2 sliders to get the straightest straight lines all across the field.

The generic camera has a "universal lens model" (ULM) that can fit any lens pretty well, though not of course as well as a good calibration.  At integer values the "curve" slider gives the 4 prototypical curves:
0 -- rectilinear
1 -- stereographic
2 -- equal-angle spherical
3 -- equal-area spherical
and in between it mixes the two nearest prototypes.  For most normal lenses it should be near 0, for most fisheyes, between 2 and 3; for the Samyang 7mm, near 1.  The other 2 sliders do nothing, I shall likely remove them.

If you really wanted to you could enter the camera and lens in the database, with your ULM settings for the lens calibration; then you could get it back by manually selecting that camera and lens.  No advantage whatever, except learning how to use the database -- which you will eventually have to do, since it is just a personal database for your own equipment and will never come pre-loaded.  But until I write the manual chapters, that could be quite puzzling.

Cheers,  Tom

Patrick Cheatham

Jul 26, 2011, 8:23:01 PM7/26/11
to Panini Support

>  Have you...
>
> ..downloaded a binary?

Mac

> ..been able to run it?

yes

> ..had any fun with it?

can't tell

> ..read the manual?

the quickstart.

luca vascon

Aug 5, 2011, 3:07:37 PM8/5/11
to panini-...@googlegroups.com

2011/7/27 Patrick Cheatham <pat...@patrickcheatham.com>

>  Have you...
>
> ..downloaded a binary?

Mac and win

> ..been able to run it?

No, on both computers (1 mac and 4 pcs)
I have XP64 and ATI 4870 boards on 4core 3ghz 6hd machines,  or XP32 on IBM T60 or older laptops.

> ..had any fun with it?

:-(((((

> ..read the manual?

Yesss!

lightzone

Sep 6, 2011, 4:57:40 AM9/6/11
to Panini Support
..downloaded a binary?
Yes Windows

..been able to run it?
yes

..had any fun with it?
yes serious fun with serious shots

..read the manual?
yes doing it now will get back later with few questions.

A feature request is that we should be able to lock the sliders (pad
lock) & double clicking the slider should bring teh value to its
default, this will help a lot.

Regards

Thomas Sharpless

Sep 6, 2011, 5:39:27 PM9/6/11
to panini-...@googlegroups.com
Hi lightzone

Lock sliders feature request noted.

You can already reset a slider with a double click on the label (not the slider part).  Also there are hotkeys for resetting groups of controls or all of them (bug in beta4: image shifts don't always get reset right).

-- Tom

Ben Kreunen

Sep 25, 2011, 12:28:01 AM9/25/11
to Panini Support
Running on Win7 Pro 64 (8Gb RAM, nvidia geforce 9500gt)

Read bits of the manual, although you can do quite a lot without doing
so... Still discovering bits by accident ;-)