Seeking A Cure For Anxiety Attacks?

Kim Connor

Dec 10, 2009, 10:38:58 PM12/10/09
to Panic and Anxiety
Believe it or not, everyone suffers anxiety attacks from time-to-time,
because this is actually a normal physical response of our body to
potential danger, often called the fight-or-flight reflex. When this
happens, our respiration and heart rate increases, deliver greater
volumes of blood to our muscles, and we become hyper-sensitive to our
surroundings.
It's also a perfectly normal emotional response for example, when
preparing to take a test, giving a speech, etc., which we sometimes
refer to as having "butterflies" in our stomachs. If that's the case,
then why do we need a cure for anxiety attacks in the first place?
For those suffering from what are called anxiety or panic disorders,
these normal responses are being artificially triggered, often through
an existing medical condition such as Thyroid Disorder or Diabetes. In
other cases, medications like steroids, hormones and decongestants can
also trigger or manifest symptoms of anxiety. Therefore it's important
to consult with a physician to rule out these types of issues and
treating anxiety attacks as a symptom of an emergent medical problem
rather than a disorder.
What's left are several major types of anxiety disorders which, while
not curable, may be successfully treated in a number of ways, ensuring
good quality of life for the patient. Medications for the treatment of
the various anxiety and panic disorders should be discussed with your
primary caregiver and monitored closely. Meanwhile, there are a number
of non-medication related steps you may take to reduce the frequency
and severity of your panic attacks.
Regular exercise, a healthy diet and plenty of sleep are vital to
controlling anxiety as are the reduction or elimination of caffeine
and alcohol. Routine meditation and physical relaxation techniques
have also been shown to reduce the frequency anxiety attacks caused by
stress. The use of "over-the-counter" medications should also be
discussed with your doctor as these can trigger anxiety attacks as
well.
Another non-medication option for controlling anxiety is through
Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy or CBT. Usually taking 12 to 20 weeks of
individual and group therapy sessions, CBT is designed to help you
change maladaptive thinking patterns and behaviors.
Most importantly of all, establish a good support system with family
and friends who are willing to learn about, understand and help you to
avoid the emotional and physical triggers causing your anxiety
attacks. While certainly not a cure, you needn't allow anxiety attacks
to control your life!
All Rights Reserved Worldwide. Reprint Rights: This article may be
freely reprinted or distributed in its entirety in any ezine,
newsletter, blog or website as long as the author's name and all
website links remain intact and be included with every reproduction.