PRESS NOTE- My city through my eyes – an Exhibition of Pictures clicked by Children of Bandra East Slums, On 27 and 28th January, 2016

Sitaram Shelar

Jan 28, 2016, 8:22:04 AM1/28/16

Press note

My city through my eyes – an Exhibition of Pictures clicked by Children of Bandra East Slums

On 27 and 28th  January, 2016

Bandra Station West (Near ticket window)

On January 27 and 28th CRH (Committee for Right to Housing) and YUVA (Youth for Unity and Voluntary Action) are putting together a photo exhibition of photographs taken by the children living in informal (slum) communities around Bandra. The children from the five settlements of Behrampada, Indiranagar, Garibnagar, Shastrinagar and Dnayneahwar Nagar - through the exhibition they are attempting  to narrate  stories of deprivation, neglect and celebrations in  their communities. These children were trained  in  the photography workshop in December 2015, and afterwards they went around photographing and documenting their settlements. And this exhibition is an attempt to capture their community, their city through their eyes.

These settlements for many years have been ignored by the authorities, and inspite of being so close to the new financial district, the Bandra Kurla Complex the appaling conditions prevailing in these settlements have evaded their notice. The biggest brunt of such neglect is born by children who suffer the most. It is here that the children came up with the idea of publicly displaying their issues by means of photographs as their voices were unheard by the government and any other agencies.

The various themes addressed in the photo exhibition is of lack of playgrounds for children, lack of water and sanitation,  problems related to density in the neighbourhoods, and other cultural facets of the communities they inhabit.  We invite you for the open exhibition and request your presence to help us spread the word.

For further details please contact

Raju Vanzare (YUVA) – 9987903463

Mehmood Sayed (CRH) – 9768975960

Aravind Unni (YUVA) – 9987580014

Shweta Damble (CRH) – 9869340816

Sitaram Shelar

Program Director - Maharashtra

Youth for Unity and Voluntary Action (YUVA)
Unit No. 9, Ground Floor, Parmar Industrial Estate,
Street No. 10, Bail Bazar,
Kurla (West), Mumbai - 400 070.
91-22-25103740 / 91-22-252103790