This week on(line): Depictions of anorexia and geriatrics in comics by Katie Green and Doctor Muna Al-Jawad

Alex Fitch

Jun 14, 2013, 8:53:17 AM6/14/13
to Chris Weaver
Dear all,

here's info about my show this week and recommended events etc.

on air:

Panel Borders: Anorexia and Geriatrics in comics

Continuing a month of shows about the depiction of medicine and illness in comics, Alex Fitch talks to two female cartoonists whose work movingly covers this subject. Artist Katie Green discusses her forthcoming graphic novel Lighter than my shadow, which chronicles her adolescent struggle with anorexia, and her 'zine The Green Bean which currently depicts the creation of the book. Alex also talks to Doctor Muna Al-Jawad about her cartoon strips of experiences on geriatric wards, how she has been able to illustrate her ethnographic research with these and the forthcoming Graphic Medicine conference at Brighton and Sussex Medical School.

8.30am Monday 17th June, repeated 3pm Thursday 20th June, Resonance 104.4 FM (London) / streamed at www.resonancefm.com / podcast at www.panelborders.wordpress.com

recent podcasts:

Panel Borders: Parasites, stem cells and microbes!

Continuing our series of shows looking at depictions of illness and medicine in sequential art, Alex Fitch talks to cartoonist Edward Ross and Sci-Fi novelist Ken MacLeod about their comic Hope Beyond Hype, an educational title about “stem cell therapies from lab bench to hospital bedside”, funded by the European Community Research and Development Information Service. Edward also discusses his other medical comics Parasites! and Malaria: The battle against a microscopic killer, while Ken talks about the similarities between comics and science-fiction novels as a way of presenting science fact to the general public. Originally broadcast Monday 10th June, 2013 on Resonance 104.4 FM (London)

https://panelborders.wordpress.com/2013/06/10/panel-borders-parasites-stem-cells-and-microbes

Panel Borders: Naming Minotaurs

In the first of a series of shows looking at depictions of illness and medicine in comics, Alex Fitch talks to the creators of two recent graphic novels that deal with these themes. In a panel discussion recorded at Crawley WordFest, Alex talks to Nye Wright and Hannah Eaton about their graphic novels Things to do in a retirement home trailer park and Naming Monsters, with an introduction to the work of publisher Myriad Editions by editor Holly Ainley. Nye’s graphic novel depicts the last months of his relationship with his father as the latter dies of emphysema, with the comic book versions of the pair depicted as anthropomorphic characters; Hannah’s is a psychological exploration of a young woman coming to terms with her mother’s death and the contrasts and connections between her vignettes and British folklore stories. (Originally broadcast 03/05/13 on Resonance 104.4 FM)

https://panelborders.wordpress.com/2013/06/03/panel-borders-naming-minotaurs

online magazine:

Electric Sheep Magazine issue 73: Running from the Past - Byzantium, Baron Blood, Mud

From the search for El Dorado in Werner Herzog's Aguirre, Wrath of God, to a cut-throat Mexico in John Huston's The Treasure of the Sierra Madre and Thomas Arslan's Canadian-set Gold, we explore the failed adventures of some of cinema's cursed protagonists in our latest theme.

Out in cinemas this month, there is some dazzling horror on offer in Neil Jordan's Byzantium and Ryuhei Kitamura's No One Lives. In Pedro Almodóvar's latest comedy, I'm So Excited, a plane is doomed to fly in circles above Spain, while a Danish cargo ship is overrun by pirates in Tobias Lindholm's tense thriller A Hijacking. We follow Matthew McConaughey running from the past in Jeff Nichols's Mud, and we also have a review of classic 1970s drama The King of Marvin Gardens.

Out on DVD/Blu-ray, dreams are dashed in Billy Liar, while Carlos Saura's Cría Cuervos offers a haunting reflection on memory, loss and history. We trace the sinister characters in Mario Bava's Baron Blood and Black Sabbath, and take a look back at the Polish cinema classic Illumination and Henri-George Clouzot's The Murderer Lives at 21.

In features, we have a special interview with John Hawkes. In Reel Sounds, Robert Barry explores the music-less soundtrack of Bruno Dumont's Hors Satan, while in our Comic Strip Review we revisit the wildly weird Marebito. We report from Sci-Fi-London and the Istanbul Film Festival, and in Alter Ego author Kate Worsley's filmic alter ego is Commander Ericson in The Cruel Sea

www.electricsheepmagazine.com

recommended events:

David Shenton Exhibition

These Foolish Things: Shenton’s cartoons are often camp but they’re not just camp, and they’re not that awful apolitical offensive camp, but a light, knowing, meaningful camp; their first task is to entertain and to make the audience laugh – and often they do much more because the liberation politics that informs his work means that with the laugh there is an acerbic point – a wry observation on how we live or a satirical comment about society and a wider political context, contained in the lives and musings of plausible and likeable characters. Or sometimes it’s just a silly joke.

1 June to 27 July 2013

Space Station 65 Gallery, Building One, 373 Kennington Road, London SE11 4PS

More info: www.spacestationsixtyfive.com

Gosh! Comics Launch Parties and Signings

Self Made Hero Summer releases

To celebrate the releases of Self Made Hero's latest trio of literary adaptations, The Man who laughed by Mark Stafford and David Hine, The Shadow out of time by I.N.J. Culbard, and Don Quixote vol. 2 by Rob Davis, the adaptors and artists will be at Gosh! to sign books and share a glass of prosecco...

7-9pm, Friday 14th June

DrownTown

2000AD alumni Robbie Morrison (Nikolai Dante) and Jim Murray (Batman / Judge Dredd) have embarked on a fully-painted epic set in a flooded futuristic London and are launching the first volume at Gosh with a party and art exhibition!

It’s all happening on Friday the 21st of June, from 7pm until 9pm at which point everything will probably move on to the pub down the road. There’s no need to RSVP but if you’d like to reserve a book feel free to ask. Published by Jonathan Cape, the book is a £12.99 hardcover and if you can’t make it on the night but would like a signed/dedicated copy anyway, send us an email to in...@goshlondon.com

7-9pm, Friday 21st June

Gosh! Comics, 1 Berwick Street, London, W10DR

More info: www.goshlondon.com

best wishes,
Alex

iTunes "New and noteworthy" podcaster, November 2011 -  http://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/id390974029