This week on(line)...: Glenn Fabry on drawing Duncan Jones' Mute / Lakes International Comic Art Festival

Alex Fitch

Oct 14, 2013, 9:35:57 AM10/14/13
to Chris Weaver
Dear all,

here's info about my show and on stage appearances this week:

on air

Panel Borders: Mute, Glenn Fabry

Continuing a month of shows looking at horror and fantasy comics, Alex Fitch talks to comic book artist and illustrator Glenn Fabry about his graphic novel adaptation of Duncan Jones' yet to be filmed sequel to Moon, a Philip K Dick style drama called Mute. Glenn discusses the differences between illustrating adaptions of film scripts and regular comics, his collaboration with Steve Niles on the horror serial Lot 13 and his plans for more personal work in the future. Recorded in front of a live audience at Cartoon County, Brighton, Summer 2013.

4.30pm, Monday 14th October 2013, repeated 8am, Sunday 20th October, Resonance 104.4 FM (London) / streamed at www.resonancefm.com / extended podcast at www.panelborders.wordpress.com

on stage

Re-imagining the Classics: I. N. J. Culbard, Rob Davis, David Hine and Ilya

Pioneering graphic novel publisher SelfMadeHero presents four of its leading writers and artists in conversation about their work adapting classics, from King Lear to The Picture of Dorian Gray. How does an artist capture the spirit of the original? Can adaptations bring new readers to classic literature? How have the classics inspired modern comic art? Alex Fitch of Resonance FM will explore these issues with this illustrious panel.

I.N.J.Culbard has adapted many books for SelfMadeHero, including works by H. P. Lovecraft, Jane Austen and Arthur Conan Doyle. Rob Davis is the author of a graphic novelisation of Don Quixote, as well as the editor of the British Comic Award-winning anthology, Nelson. David Hine has adapted Victor Hugo’s The Man Who Laughs (with Mark Stafford), the story that inspired Batman’s adversary, the Joker. Ilya is the artist behind SelfMadeHero’s Manga Shakespeare adaptation of King Lear.

Venue: The Brewery Arts Centre (Screen Two), Kendal

Sat 19 Oct 2013, 12:15 - 13:15

Watch them Draw – Oscar Zarate

Oscar Zarate is a prize-winning creator who has had a major impact on comic art over many decades. Oscar has worked with Alan Moore on A Small Killing and produced several graphic novels with Carlos Sampayo and with comedian Alexei Sayle. As editor he created a book of graphic short stories It’s Dark in London with Neil Gaiman, Dave McKean, Alan Moore, Iain Sinclair, Ilya, Carol Swain, Alexei Sayle and others, published in 2012 by SelfMadeHero.  Here he’ll be drawing live from his new book The Park, a delicate examination of how anger, repression and powerlessness can overwhelm even the most logical and well-intentioned person in a confusing modern world. Event hosted by Alex Fitch (Resonance FM)

Venue: The Box, Wildman Street, Kendal

Sat 19 Oct 2013 - 15:45 - 16:45

More info: http://www.comicartfestival.com/watch-them-draw-oscar-zarate/

Rocking with Horror - Hannah Berry, Ian Culbard, David Hine and Ravi Thornton

Mwa ha ha ha ha haaaaa! Prepare to be disturbed. This is a panel talk but not as you know it….Meet scary comic creators Hannah Berry (Britten and Brulightly and Adamtine), Ian Culbard (At the Mountains of Madness, Deadbeats and more), David Hine (The Bulletproof Coffin, The Man Who Laughs and more) and Ravi Thornton (The Tale of Brin and Bent and Minno Marylebone) as they talk about their methods and their madness.  Chaired by Alex Fitch of Resonance FM.

Venue: The Brewery Arts Centre: Screen Two

Sat 19 Oct 2013 - 20:00 - 21:15

More info: http://www.comicartfestival.com/rocking-with-horror/

For information about the entire Lakes International Comic Art Festival, see 'recommended events' below...

recent podcasts:

Panel Borders: 100 issues of The Walking Dead

Starting a month of shows on horror and fantasy comics, Alex Fitch talks to artist Charlie Adlard about drawing 100 issues of The Walking Dead. Alex and Charlie discuss the various storylines the artist has rendered since 2004, coming up with new character designs for humans and zombies alike, how the TV shows compliments and diverges from the original comic, and drawing variant covers for the title to help support his local comic book shop.

Recorded in front of a live audience at Infinity and Beyond Comics, Shrewsbury, Autumn 2012.

Reality Check: Vanishing Brightness

In the latest SCI-FI-LONDON podcast, we have a pair of Q&As from the Spring SFL festival, in which Alex Fitch talks to the directors of a couple of the more cerebral SF films that screened at the Stratford Picturehouse. Kristina Buozyte discusses her erotic techno thriller Vanishing Waves where a scientist travels into the mind of a coma patient to try and revive her consciousness. Also Shazad Darwood talks about his feature film Piercing Brightness where cultures and alien encounters collide in an elliptical movie shot on the streets of Preston, Lancashire.

online magazine:

Electric Sheep issue 74:
Strange Gems & Dreamscapes -
LFF, We Are What We Are, Nosferatu

October is all about festivals. We outline some of the highlights of the 57th BFI London Film Festival in previews Part 1 and Part 2 – we’ll be reviewing more films throughout the festival. We also report back from Venice, Toronto, the Way Out East strand at London's Raindance, and the wonderful L'Etrange Festival in Paris.

Out in cinemas this month are two FrightFest favourites, We Are What We Are and V/H/S/2, plus Im Sang-soo’s latest film The Taste of Money. F.W. Murnau’s digitally restored classic Gothic horror Nosferatu returns to the big screen, while Nightmare on Elm Street is back for a special Halloween treat in selected UK theatres. In home entertainment releases, we have a comic strip review of Oriol Paulo’s haunting The Body, plus we take a look at George A. Romero's Creepshow, Eric Walter’s My Amityville Horror and Jeff Lieberman’s cult-horror classic Squirm.

In features, we revisit Charles Burnett's Killer of Sheep, and we present an extract from Kim Newman's new novel Anno Dracula: Johnny Alucard. We also explore the sounds of sci-fi in Shane Carruth’s Primer and discuss the score to Tarkovsky’s Solaris in Reel Sounds, while author Ann Leckie’s cinematic alter ego is HAL from Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey.

www.electricsheepmagazine.com

recommended events

The Lakes International Comic Art Festival

The Lakes International Comic Art Festival is modelled on the European comic festivals rather than comic conventions that UK audiences are more familiar with.

The aim is create an ‘en fete’ atmosphere, making the whole town part of the festival. There will be a much bigger emphasis on the range of talks, special live drawing events, workshops, films, exhibitions and a kids’ zone. Some of the events, including the exhibitions and the kids’ zone will also be free.

There will be The Comics Clock Tower – in Kendal Town Hall, where people will be able to buy comics and where authors and artists will be signing copies of their work. It will be smaller than at most comic conventions and will focus on writers, artists and publishers who are pioneers of a new wave of innovators in the field of comics and graphic storytelling.

We will be kicking off on Friday evening, 18th October and running until teatime on Sunday 20th. The programme will feature around 30 events of different styles and scales including meet the creators (presentations, live drawings and interviews), panel discussions and a few quirky events too. Alongside this there will be a film programme, exhibitions, workshops, our version of a marketplace/artists’ alley and a dedicated kids’ zone……and more

Guests include: Charlie Adlard, Steve Bell, Hannah Berry, Gareth Brookes, Ed Brubaker, Kurt Busiek, Stephen Collins, Darryl Cunningham, Rob Davis, Al Davison, Andy Diggle, Glyn Dillon, Pete Doherty, Hannah Eaton, Hunt Emerson, Carlos Ezquerra, Duncan Fegredo, Karrie Fransman, Simon Fraser, Katie Green, Isabel Greenberg, Steven Harris, David Hine, Ilya, David Lloyd, Robbie Morrison, Jose Muñoz, Luke Pearson, Ivan Petrus, Sean Phillips, Gary and Warren Pleece, Trina Robbins, Joe Sacco, Gilbert Shelton, Posy Simmonds, Nicola Streeten, Bryan and Mary Talbot, John Wagner and Oscar Zarate…

18th-20th October, Brewery Arts Centre and environs‎, 122A Highgate, Kendal, Cumbria LA9 4HE

More info at: www.comicartfestival.com

Parallax Art Fair

...is the first 'non-art' fair and makes a conceptual statement about subjectivity and tatse. Artists selling their wares come from the broadest range of self expression, from print making to illustration and comic books such as Gwen Turner's Domestic Bliss.

Chelsea Town Hall, London, Saturday 18th October 11am-8pm / Sunday 19th October 11am-5pm

Join the Web Artists Swap Project 2014

Following 2013′s successful Web Artists Swap Project (WASP) where webcomic creators swapped strips to raise awareness of online comics, including work by Nich Angell, Zarina Liew and Naniiebim, project originator Richy K. Chandler is inviting web cartoonists to join the planning of next year’s WASP event.
Get involved via www.tempolush.com before the end of October 2013…

thanks for listening,
Alex

iTunes "New and noteworthy" podcaster, November 2011 -  http://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/id390974029