This week on(line)...: Creators discuss Things to do in a trailer park... & Naming Monsters / Peter Pan & graphic novel literature

1 view

Alex Fitch

May 31, 2013, 9:19:38 AM5/31/13
to Chris Weaver
Dear all,

here's info about my show and on stage events this week...

on air:

Panel Borders: Naming Monsters and Minotaurs

In the first of a series of shows looking at depictions of illness and medicine in comics, Alex Fitch talks to the creators of two recent graphic novels that deal with these themes. In a panel discussion recorded at Crawley WordFest, Alex talks to Nye Wright and Hannah Eaton about their graphic novels Things to do in a retirement home trailer park and Naming Monsters, with an introduction to the work of publisher Myriad Editions by editor Holly Ainley. Nye's graphic novel depicts the last months of his relationship with his father as the latter dies of emphysema, with the comic book versions of the pair depicted as anthropomorphic characters; Hannah's is a psychological exploration of a young woman coming to terms with her mother's death and the contrasts and connections between her vignettes and British folklore stories.

8.30am Monday 2nd June, repeated 3pm Thursday 6th June, Resonance 104.4 FM (London) / streamed at www.resonancefm.com / podcast at www.panelborders.wordpress.com

on stage:

(as part of the BD & Comics Passions Festival at the Institut Francais...)

Régis Loisel: My Peter Pan

Alex Fitch chairs a discussion with the acclaimed Canadian Graphic Novelist about the new British edition of his epic prequel to J.M. Barrie's Peter Pan. Loisel's take on the mythology is far darker than the original, with a Dickensian portrayal of hard times for Victorian street kids, before foul mouthed urchin Peter gets taken to another land by a fairy he names Tinker Bell...

Sun 2 June 12.00pm - 1.00pm £7, conc. £5

From classic to graphic: I. N. J. Culbard, David Zane Mairowitz & Mark Stafford

Alex Fitch chairs a panel discussion with three graphic novelists who have worked one recent adaptations of classic literature. Culbard’s latest adaptation of Lovecraft (‘The Shadow Out of Time’) is a masterpiece. David Mairowitz’s take on Kafka’s ‘Castle’ (illustrated by Jaromír 99) will amaze you. As for Mark Stafford, he’s the terrific artist behind ‘The Man Who Laughs’ (with David Hine), based on Victor Hugo’s novel.

More info: http://www.bdandcomicspassion.co.uk/whats-on/from-classic-to-graphic/

Sun 2 June 3.30pm - 4.30pm £7, conc. £5

recent podcasts:

Reality Check: Living in Byzantium

In a panel discussion recorded at SCI-FI-LONDON, Alex Fitch talks to producer Stephen Woolley, writer Moira Buffini and star Daniel Mays about the new British vampire movie Byzantium, directed by Neil Jordan, which depicts the back story and current lives of a pair of female vampires living in modern day Hastings. (Byzantium is released in the UK on 31st May).

https://panelborders.wordpress.com/2013/05/27/reality-check-living-in-byzantium/

Panel Borders: Image Duplicators

In the last of a series of shows about the relationship between fine art and comics, Alex Fitch looks talks to three artists about their recreations of fine art in comic book pages and vice versa. Simon Russell discusses his small press comics Roy and That's not my Merkin!, Dutch artist Typex illuminates his graphic novel about Rembrandt, and Jason Atomic talks about his contribution to the 'Image Duplicator' show at Orbital Comics which deconstructs the work of Roy Lichtenstein.

https://panelborders.wordpress.com/2013/05/27/panel-borders-image-duplicators/

online magazine:

Electric Sheep Magazine issue 73: Running from the Past - Byzantium, Baron Blood, Mud

From the search for El Dorado in Werner Herzog's Aguirre, Wrath of God, to a cut-throat Mexico in John Huston's The Treasure of the Sierra Madre and Thomas Arslan's Canadian-set Gold, we explore the failed adventures of some of cinema's cursed protagonists in our latest theme.

Out in cinemas this month, there is some dazzling horror on offer in Neil Jordan's Byzantium and Ryuhei Kitamura's No One Lives. In Pedro Almodóvar's latest comedy, I'm So Excited, a plane is doomed to fly in circles above Spain, while a Danish cargo ship is overrun by pirates in Tobias Lindholm's tense thriller A Hijacking. We follow Matthew McConaughey running from the past in Jeff Nichols's Mud, and we also have a review of classic 1970s drama The King of Marvin Gardens.

Out on DVD/Blu-ray, dreams are dashed in Billy Liar, while Carlos Saura's Cría Cuervos offers a haunting reflection on memory, loss and history. We trace the sinister characters in Mario Bava's Baron Blood and Black Sabbath, and take a look back at the Polish cinema classic Illumination and Henri-George Clouzot's The Murderer Lives at 21.

In features, we have a special interview with John Hawkes. In Reel Sounds, Robert Barry explores the music-less soundtrack of Bruno Dumont's Hors Satan, while in our Comic Strip Review we revisit the wildly weird Marebito. We report from Sci-Fi-London and the Istanbul Film Festival, and in Alter Ego author Kate Worsley's filmic alter ego is Commander Ericson in The Cruel Sea

www.electricsheepmagazine.com

recommended events:

Gosh! Comics Signing

Gary Northfield not only has a new book out, but he has a new book out about dinosaurs which is even better. You’ll know Gary’s work if you read Derek the Sheep back when he was in the Beano, or maybe you know his stuff from The Phoenix, or maybe you stared at him while he drew Rupert the Bear in Gosh!'s window on Free Comic Book Day. In any case, you are invited to drink beer (or juice if you’re wee) at the launch party of Gary Northfield’s Terrible Tales of the Teenytinysaurs!

Friday, 31st of May, 7pm -9pm

Gosh!, 1 Berwick Street, London. W1F 0DR

BD and Comics Passions Festival

Four days of talks, screens, panel discussions, draw-offs and workshops about comics and bande dessinees at the Institut Francais. Guests include Mark Stafford, Posy Simmonds, I.N.J. Culbard, Glen Baxter, Penelope Baglieu, Regis Loseil and many more.

20th May - 2nd June 2013, Institut Francais, 17 Queensberry Pl  London SW7 2DT (nearest stop: South Kensington)

More info at: http://www.institut-francais.org.uk/

Alternative Press Fair 2013 at No Dark Places Festival

Alternative Press are bringing the Small Press to No Dark Places, the DIY music festival on June 1st 2013

From 11am – 5pm, artists will be exhibiting and selling their self published comix, zines, book arts, and prints, alongside a programme of workshops and talks.

Workshops and Highlights

Introducing the Kevin Van O’Dreams and Breaking Beard!

Inside the Kevin Van O’Dreams, artists in residence StoryHands, a collective on a mission of awesome colourful narrative illustration perfection, will be offering live portraits to all who visit! Portraits starting at £3 are a one off opportunity to get a unique illustrated picture of you.

Sign up for yours at the AP table on the day.

DIY Stop Motion Animation Workshop

12.30pm – 3.30pm: Having worked for Disney, Warner, Universal, Paramount, and Redbull, as well as lecturing at four of the top universities for animation and leading workshops for the Tate, and Barbican, the amazing Shaun McGlinchey will be now running the AP DIY Stop Motion 2D Puppet Making Workshop!

Places are limited to only four participants per hour. To reserve your place in advance email enqu...@alternativepress.org.uk or alternatively sign up on the day.

DIY Politics: “Is this a good situation?”

4pm:  3 invited speakers, and those who attend, will informally discuss how they think the nation is being run.  Are the folks in charge doing a good job?

With Pragmatists’ Party: http://pragmatists.co.uk/about/  a newly formed party

A conversation open to all and everyone, come along and give your ten pence worth!

Entry is completely free and open to all in a celebration of creativity and DIY.

Workshops from AP Friends

As a part of the NO DARK PLACES festival, Dimitri Antorka Pieri will be running his Blind Drawing workshops at 2, 4, and 6pm. More information here

The festival will also include a Live Printing Stand run by the collaborative force of  Animaux Circus and Studio Mothership. From 11am – 4pm and for a small fee, you can have a go printing on their amazing table top letter press!

The No Dark Places music programme will start at 12pm and continue till 1.30am. £15 on the door

For further information: http://www.nodarkplaces.com / http://www.alternativepress.org.uk

The Albert, 1 Albert Road, London, NW6 5DT

thanks for listening,

Alex

iTunes "New and noteworthy" podcaster, November 2011 -  http://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/id390974029
Programme maker, Resonance 104.4 FM (Arts Council) - www.resonancefm.com