This week on(line): Hannah Eaton on Naming Monsters / Dan White on Cindy and Biscuit

1 view

Alex Fitch

Oct 21, 2013, 7:55:34 AM10/21/13
to Chris Weaver
Dear all,

here's info about my show and recommended events this week...

on air:

Continuing a month of shows on horror and fantasy comics, Alex Fitch talks to a pair of writer / artists about their work in these genres which mix tales of adolescent girls with English legends, spirit animals and weird occurrences. Hannah Eaton discusses her folkloric graphic novel Naming Monsters, recently published by Myriad Editions and a result of her entering the 2012 First Fictions Competition. Dan White talks about his self published comics Terminus and Cindy and Biscuit, the latter combining the adventures of a Little Orphan Annie type character and her dog with Lovecraftian horrors.

Both interviews were recorded live at Cartoon County, Brighton, Summer 2013, with additional questions asked by David Lloyd, Glenn Fabry, Corinne Pearlman, Dave Stone and others.

N.B./ Panel Borders repeats during late October and early November are at 2am on Thursdays due to Resonance’s morning broadcasts from Void Festival, Londonderry / Derry

4.30pm, Monday 21th October 2013, repeated 2am, Thursday 24th October2013, Resonance 104.4 FM (London) / streamed at www.resonancefm.com / podcast after broadcast at www.panelborders.wordpress.com

recent podcasts:

Panel Borders: Mute, Glenn Fabry

Continuing a month of shows looking at horror and fantasy comics, Alex Fitch talks to comic book artist and illustrator Glenn Fabry about his graphic novel adaptation of Duncan Jones' yet to be filmed sequel to Moon, a Philip K Dick style drama called Mute. Glenn discusses the differences between illustrating adaptions of film scripts and regular comics, his collaboration with Steve Niles on the horror serial Lot 13 and his plans for more personal work in the future. Recorded in front of a live audience at Cartoon County, Brighton, Summer 2013.

Reality Check: Vanishing Brightness

In the latest SCI-FI-LONDON podcast, we have a pair of Q&As from the Spring SFL festival, in which Alex Fitch talks to the directors of a couple of the more cerebral SF films that screened at the Stratford Picturehouse. Kristina Buozyte discusses her erotic techno thriller Vanishing Waves where a scientist travels into the mind of a coma patient to try and revive her consciousness. Also Shazad Darwood talks about his feature film Piercing Brightness where cultures and alien encounters collide in an elliptical movie shot on the streets of Preston, Lancashire.

online magazine:

Electric Sheep issue 74:
 Strange Gems & Dreamscapes -
LFF, We Are What We Are, Nosferatu

October is all about festivals. We outline some of the highlights of the 57th BFI London Film Festival in previews Part 1 andPart 2 – we’ll be reviewing more films throughout the festival. We also report back from Venice, Toronto, the Way Out East strand at London's Raindance, and the wonderful L'Etrange Festival in Paris.

Out in cinemas this month are two FrightFest favourites, We Are What We Are and V/H/S/2, plus Im Sang-soo’s latest filmThe Taste of Money. F.W. Murnau’s digitally restored classic Gothic horror Nosferatu returns to the big screen, whileNightmare on Elm Street is back for a special Halloween treat in selected UK theatres. In home entertainment releases, we have a comic strip review of Oriol Paulo’s haunting The Body, plus we take a look at George A. Romero's Creepshow, Eric Walter’s My Amityville Horror and Jeff Lieberman’s cult-horror classic Squirm.

In features, we revisit Charles Burnett's Killer of Sheep, and we present an extract from Kim Newman's new novel Anno Dracula: Johnny Alucard. We also explore the sounds of sci-fi in Shane Carruth’s Primer and discuss the score to Tarkovsky’sSolaris in Reel Sounds, while author Ann Leckie’s cinematic alter ego is HAL from Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey.■

www.electricsheepmagazine.com

recommended events:

Signings at Gosh! Comics

Hic and Hoc Launch party

Overseas publishers of Very Nice Comic Things Hic & Hoc have enlisted some Brits you may be familiar with to edit their second volume of the Hic & Hoc Illustrated Journal Of Humo(u)r (see what they did there?). Gosh! favourite Lizz Lunney, author of such lovely works like Depressed Cat and At The Theme Park, also-Gosh!-favourite Joe List, who you may know from his frequent doodlings over Guardian newspaper publications, Gareth Brookes, Stephen Collins, Joe Decie, Luke Pearson and Philippa Rice have put together a collection of the best of the UK comics scene, out to tickle your funny bone. Various contributors will be signing the book at Gosh! for the launch event, with free booze on tap, so come along!

Friday October 25th, 7pm – 8pm

Joe Sacco signing

Joe Sacco himself, author of critically-acclaimed reportage comics Safe Area Gorazde, Palestine, and many more, is going to be in the shop for a signing on the 26th of October, to celebrate his latest book, The Great War

Saturday October 26th, 2pm – 3pm

Gosh! Comics, 1 Berwick Street, London W1F 0DR

Comica Festival 2013

This year’s London Comica Festival is imminent and events over the first couple of weeks include:

From Hell To Eternity: Eddie Campbell On Alan Moore
Campbell discusses his collaborations with Alan Moore, notably on the acclaimed From Hell.
Platform Theatre, Handyside Street, London N1C 4AA
October 26, 2013 4.45pm for 5-6.30pm

Joe Sacco: The Great War and the Battle of the Somme
Sacco talks in depth about how he achieves his acclaimed comics journalism.
Platform Theatre, Handyside Street, London N1C 4AA
October 26, 2013 7.15pm for 7.30-9.30

The Nine Lives of Dave McKean
Explore the multi-faceted, multi-media creativity of this extraordinary storyteller & image-maker.
Foyles Bookshop, 3rd Floor Gallery, WC2H 0EB
October 29, 2013 6.15 for 6.30-8.30pm

Living and Loving in London : Oscar Zarate & Ilya
How new graphic novels The Park & Room For Love reflect realities of urban relationships.
Foyles Bookshop, 3rd Floor Gallery, WC2H 0EB
October 31, 2013 6.15 for 6.30-8.30pm

What Is A Superhero?
Kieron Gillen, Si Spurrier, Will Brooker & Richard Reynolds analyse what makes a superhero.
Foyles Bookshop, 3rd Floor Gallery, WC2H 0EB
November 1, 2013 6.15 for 6.30-8.30pm

More info at www.comicafestival.com

Join the Web Artists Swap Project 2014

Following 2013′s successful Web Artists Swap Project (WASP) where webcomic creators swapped strips to raise awareness of online comics, including work by Nich Angell, Zarina Liew and Naniiebim, project originator Richy K. Chandler is inviting web cartoonists to join the planning of next year’s WASP event.

Get involved via www.tempolush.com before the end of October 2013…

Thanks for listening,
Alex

iTunes "New and noteworthy" podcaster, November 2011 -  http://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/id390974029