This week on(line): Doctor Who comics / Brian Yuzna on cult cinema

Alex Fitch

Nov 18, 2013, 11:37:14 AM11/18/13
to Chris Weaver
Dear all,

here's info about this week's show etc. ...

on air:

Panel Borders: Doctor Who and the graphic novels

Continuing a month about comic book creators who collaborate together, Alex Fitch looks at Doctor Who comic strips in the 50th anniversary week of the TV show. In a panel discussion recorded at SCI-FI-LONDON, artists Adrian Salmon and Mark Buckingham plus writers Scott Gray and Andrew Cartmel (also the TV script editor from 1987-1989) discuss the various adventures of the Doctor in sequential art, including the 'wilderness years' when the show was off air in the 1990s when comics were the only continuing visual adventures of the Time Lord.

4.30pm Monday 18th November, repeated 2am Thursday 21st November 2013, Resonance 104.4 FM (London) / streamed at www.resonancefm.com / extended podcast at www.panelborders.wordpress.com

recent podcasts:

Continuing a month of shows looking at comic book creators who collaborate together, Alex Fitch talks to thirteen creators who contributed to Brighton: The Graphic Novel, a new anthology which tells vignettes from Brighton’s history over the last 300 years, published by QueenSpark Books; these include writers and illustrators Jim Holland, Maria Parra, Ottilie Hainsworth, Nye Wright, Rosanna Lowe, Jules Craig, Jonathan Stearn, Chris Hagan, Rob Simpson, Jaime Huxtable and Ian Buchanan, plus art mentor / letterer Paul Collicutt, and editor / writing coach Tim Pilcher.
Originally broadcast Monday 11th November 2013, on Resonance 104.4 FM (London)

Electric Sheep Magazine podcast: Brian Yuzna and the horror of Society

Alex Fitch talks to film maker Brian Yuzna about his work, from his memorable debut as producer of Stuart Gordon’s Re-animator, his underrated satire of 1980s American preppy culture Society, and his later career making sequels to such franchises as Return of the Living Dead and Silent Night, Deadly Night. Recorded at the University of Brighton in conjunction with Cine-Excess Festival.

Panel Borders: Bad Planets and Misguided Islands

Starting a month of shows about comic book creators who collaborate together, Alex Fitch talks to two pairs of creators who come from outside the world of comics. In an interview recorded at the MCM Expo, London October 2013, actor turned writer Thomas Jane and illustrator Tim Bradstreet talk about their work on comics and graphic novels such asBad Planet and The Lycan. Also, in an interview recorded at Daunt Books, Marylebonechildren’s writers and illustrators Sarah McIntyre and Philip Reeve discuss swapping roles on various projects including The Phoenixcomic and their latest book Oliver and the Seawigs, which is about moving, sentient islands and their headwear!
Originally broadcast Monday 4th November 2013, on Resonance 104.4 FM (London)

online magazine:

Electric Sheep issue 75:

DAUGHTERS OF DARKNESS

Countess Bathory, Lucy, Irma and Christiane

To coincide with the BFI’s ‘Gothic’ season, our new theme is ‘Daughters of Darkness’, inspired by Harry Kümel’s steamy vampire tale, reviewed by Kim Newman. We also have pieces on Irma Vep, Spanish Gothic horror Julia’s Eyes, and some of the finest female-led dark classics, including Suspiria and Eyes without a Face, from our archive.

Cinema releases this month are dominated by male villains, from Werner Herzog’s Nosferatu the Vampyre, to gun-loving genius JohnMilius, and Franz Biberkopf in R.W. Fassbinder’s epic television seriesBerlin Alexanderplatz, back on screen in its original 35mm beauty. Also out in November are Alfonso Cuarón’s mesmerising Gravity, Ridley Scott’s The Counsellor, Jeremy Lovering’s In Fear and mumblecore director Andrew Bujalski’s Computer Chess, plus we have a comic strip review of this year's Cannes winner Blue Is the Warmest Colour.

New DVD/Blu-rays include BBC’s 1972 paranormal TV anthology Dead of Night, Flipside’s latest release, Schalcken the Painter, plus Fritz Lang’sDr. Mabuse the Gambler and Brian De Palma’s The Fury.

In features, Jane Giles revisits London after Midnight, while authorPaula Brackston chooses Alien’s Ripley as her alter ego. We have an exclusive two-part interview with 'the king of the B-movie', Roger Corman, and in Reel Sounds, we talk to legendary Italian composer Fabio Frizzi. Festival reports include Sitges, more from Toronto, and our final LFF round-up, plus we have a new Cine Lit column.

www.electricsheepmagazine.com

recommended events:

Gosh! Comics signings and events

The Image Triple Signing with Brandon Graham, Fiona Staples, and Eric Stephenson

Together with Thought Bubble, we proudly present a BEHEMOTH of a signing – featuring three of Image Comics’ biggest and brightest. Join us on the Friday, the 22nd of November, and meet Brandon Graham (Prophet, King City), Fiona Staples (Saga), and Eric Stephenson (Nowhere Men).

Friday November 22nd, from 5pm to 7pm

Fábio Moon and Gabriel Bá Signing

For our second event in conjunction with November’s Leeds Thought Bubble Festival, we bring you the remarkably talented Brazilian comic-creator-twin-duo, Fábio Moon and Gabriel Bá! You’ll know them from their lovely artwork on The Umbrella Academy (written by Gerard Way) and the Casanova series (written by Matt Fraction), and most importantly from their collaborative effort, Daytripper, a beautiful book about death and family which is a consistent bestseller.

Wednesday November 27th, from 5pm to 7pm

Jeffrey Brown in conversation with Marc Ellerby

A legend of autobiographical comics, Jeffrey started out by self-publishing his first book, Clumsy (James Kochalka’s favourite graphic novel), which grabbed an enormous amount of attention from both cartoonists and comics fans, not to mention the attention of future publisher Chris Staros at Top Shelf. After Clumsy, he produced a whole series of heartfelt chronicles about his life and relationships, with the occasional absurdist superhero parody thrown in…
Here to talk to the man himself is Marc Ellerby, one of the most well-known names on the UK indie comics scene.

November 28th from 7.30pm until 9.00pm

Windowpane 2 and Breakdown Press Launch Party

Breakdown Press is a new London-based comics publisher dedicated to printing the work of original and exciting contemporary cartoonists. Having released Windowpane by Joe Kessler at last year’s Brooklyn Comics & Graphics Festival to great critical acclaim, Breakdown will be returning to the newly reinstated Comic Arts Brooklyn as well as Thought Bubble festival with Windowpane 2 and a raft of other exciting new releases.

Friday, 29 November 2013 from 7pm to 9pm

Gosh! Comics, 1 Berwick Street, London, W1F 0DR

Thought Bubble Festival

This year's Leeds International Comics Festival is already underway with exhibitions and related screenings; the two day Comics Forum academic conference takes place on 21st and 22nd November looking at small press and self publishing, while the main comics convention occurs on the 23rd & 24th.
Guests include Gabriel Ba, Fabio Moon, Geoff Darrow, Jeffrey Brown, Kelly Sue McCormack, Matt Fraction, David Aja, Brandon Graham, Fiona Staples, and Eric Stephenson.

thanks for listening,
Alex

iTunes "New and noteworthy" podcaster, November 2011 -  http://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/id390974029
Programme maker, Resonance 104.4 FM (Arts Council) - www.resonancefm.com