This week on(line): CAPTION 21: Robots! / Robbie Morrison discusses DrownTown and 15 years of Nikolai Dante / Graham Lord on being a Brony

Alex Fitch

Aug 23, 2013, 8:31:27 AM8/23/13
to Chris Weaver
Dear all,

here's info about new podcast and this year's Caption convention...

on stage

CAPTION 21: Robots!

This summer the East Oxford Community Centre is once again host to the comics festival ‘Caption’.

Creators from Oxford based comics companies 2000AD and The Phoenix will be in attendance, there will be fun workshops and activities for anyone who wants to get involved and a wide variety of comics will be available to buy from the Caption table.
Don’t expect a dealer’s hall with cyncial merchandise and cosplayers, do expect fascinating panel discussions and excellent workshops all in an informal friendly environment.

Caption is proud to announce that guests include Rian Hughes (Dan Dare), Andrzej Klimowski (Stanisław Lem’s Robot…), Danusia Schebal (Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde graphic novel), Al Davison (Doctor Who comics), Paul Collicutt (The Murder Mile), Vicky Stonebridge (Dogbreath), Karen Rubins (Victoria & Albert Museum comic artist in residence), Ian Rakoff (V & A comics lecturer, writer “The Prisoner: Welcome to Harmony”) and Dan White (Cindy and Biscuit) with more to be announced in the weeks to come.

The convention will take place on 24th- 25th of August and tickets are £6 per day or £10 for both days, so get yourself along! The EOCC bar will be open from noon to 5pm, for drinks and crisps as well, what more could you want?

Saturday 24th August

11am: doors open

Noon: Vicky Stonebridge workshop – creating composition, physiognomy, perspective, movement, mood and action in comics

Noon: SF comics for kids – Paul Collicutt / Robert Deas / John Aggs / Dan White; David O’Connell (chair)

1.30: Self Made Robots panel – Andrejz Klimowski / Danuscia Schejbal / Paul Collicutt / Robert Deas; Alex Fitch (chair)

3pm: Fine art and comics panel – Vicky Stonebridge / Al Davison / Hannah Eaton / James E Snelling; Richard Reynolds (chair)

4.30pm: Cyperpunk / steampunk panel – Yomi Ajeni / Jennie Gyllblad / Ben Dickson / John Aggs; Alex Fitch (chair)

6.45pm: Short films screening, including films by Al Davison and Alex Fitch

7.30pm: Tony Hitchman’s Robot Quiz

Sunday 25th August

11am: Comics Gosh!p reading group w/ Mike Medaglia

Noon: Al Davison workshop – The Alchemist’s Easel: Techniques to Access your unconscious and tap into your creativity… and yes create a short Robot comic!

12.30pm: 2000AD and fanzines – Rian Hughes / Chris Geary / Andrew Cheverton; Alex Fitch (chair)

2pm: Designing comics – Rian Hughes / Robert Ball / Mike Medaglia / Karen Rubins; Alex Fitch (Chair)

3.30pm: Educating with comics – Chris Geary / Ian Rakoff / Tony Hitchman / Al Davison; Karen Rubins (Chair)

Caption, East Oxford Community Centre, 44 Princes St, Oxford OX4 1DD
11am – 11pm Saturday 24th August / 11am – 5pm Sunday 25th August

More info: www.caption.org

online

Reality Check: Robbie Morrison - Taking Dante DrownTown

In advance of his appearance at Edinburgh BookFest’s Stripped (graphic novels) weekend, Alex Fitch talks to Robbie Morrison about his career in comics so far, from his fifteen year tenure as the writer of Nikolai Dante in 2000AD, working with artists such as Simon Fraser and John Burns, to his new graphic novel DrownTown, published by Jonathan Cape.
http://panelborders.wordpress.com/2013/08/21/reality-check-robbie-morrison-taking-dante-drowntown/

The Pod Delusion episode 201: Friendship is Magic!

This week Alex J Brown looks into what really happened with ask.fm, Richy Thompson gives Section 28 a hostile welcome back, Glen Travis measures the effectiveness of charitable giving… and Alex Fitch talks to Graham Lord, one of the organisers of BUCK, the Manchester My Little Pony convention (with a musical interlude from "Acoustic Brony", playing one of the songs from the show)...

http://poddelusion.co.uk/blog/2013/08/22/episode-201-23rd-august-2013/

recent podcasts

I'm ready for my close-up: Spike Lee on crowdfunding
In a special episode of I’m ready for my close-up, Alex Fitch talks to American film maker Spike Lee about his Kickstarter campaign to fund a new movie about ‘blood addiction’. They also discuss his forthcoming remake of Park Chan-Wook’s Oldboy and the director’s continuing enjoyment of being a film tutor.

Electric Sheep Magazine podcast: Reconstructing Nightbreed

Ahead of its tour of America, in a panel discussion recorded in Welwyn Garden City, actors Simon Bamford (Ohnaka) and Nick Vince (Kinski) plus restoration producer Russell Cherrington and restoration editor Jimmy Johnson discuss the reconstruction of the director's cut of Clive Barker's Nightbreed, which is being presented at various venues to help fund a high definition print. The panel discuss the edits imposed on Barker by the studio, the disappointment felt by many of the bowdlerised version released in 1990 and how with the help of various formats and sources a reedit of all the existing footage was mounted to restore the film to its original version.

Nightbreed: the Cabal Cut is screening in various venues across America in Summer and Autumn 2013. More info at http://www.occupymidian.com/screenings

http://panelborders.wordpress.com/2013/08/02/electric-sheep-magazine-podcast-reconstructing-nightbreed/

online magazine:

Electric Sheep Magazine issue 75 - Beyond Love and Evil

Upstream Colour, Only God Forgives, Dark Star

In addition to the thrills of Film4 FrightFest, August brings a flurry of exciting films to UK screens, including Nicolas Winding Refn’s must-see Only God Forgives and Adam Wingard’s fine horror gem You’re Next.

The third summer stand-out is Upstream Colour, which also serves as inspiration for our new theme, Sounds of Sci-Fi. We have an interview with the film’s sound designer, Johnny Marshall, a feature on Roger Corman’s re-edits of popular Soviet sci-fi films and a review of Carpenter’s Dark Star.

Also out in cinemas are James Wan’s supernatural horror flick The Conjuring, Ulrich Seidl’s trilogy finale, Paradise: Hope, and a new, digitally restored version of René Clément’s thrilling 1960s classic Plein Soleil.

Out on Blu-ray/DVD, we look at Brian De Palma’s spine-chilling classic Dressed to Kill, Sion Sono’s Fukushima-inspired film The Land of Hope, Lotte Reiniger’s beautifully animated The Adventures of Prince Achmed, and Douglas Sirk’s The Tarnished Angels. We also review Gregg Araki’s Nowhere and look back at Darren Aronofsky's surreal debut feature Pi, while our comic strip review is on Corman's The Fall of the House of Usher.

The Jukebox comes from Roly Porter, while Daniel H. Wilson’s cinematic alter ego is Dave Lister from Red Dwarf. In Reel Sounds we listen to Forbidden Planet, and we also have a new Cine Lit column, and festival reports from Karlovy Vary and London’s EEFF.

www.electricsheepmagazine.com

recommended events:

Steadman @77 exhibition

The Cartoon Museum is proud to present a selection of Ralp Steadman's iconic cartoons to celebrate his 77th birthday. To accompany the exhibition there is a programme of events and talks, these include:

Brian Sibley talks about steadman's adaptations of classic texts such as Alice in Wonderland - 27th June, 6.30pm

Anita O'Brien discusses the use of the weird in Steadman's work - 4th July / 3rd September, 6.30pm

Exhibition continues until Autumn 2013, more info at http://cartoonmuseum.org

The Cartoon Museum, 35 Little Russell Street, London WC1A 2HH

Edinburgh Book Fest and Stripped festival

This year’s Edinburgh Book Fest starts on 10th August 2013 with guests including Cerys Matthews, Ben Aaronovitch, Lauren Beukes, Roy Hattersley, Oliver James, Ken MacLeod, Alexander McCall Smith and many more. Within the festival there is also a dedicated graphic novels weekend – Stripped on August 24th / 25th – with guests including Kieron Gillen, Melinda Gebbie, Neil Gaiman, Grant Morrison and Hannah Berry.

Tickets and more info here: www.edbookfest.co.uk

Thanks for listening,
Alex
iTunes "New and noteworthy" podcaster, November 2011 -  http://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/id390974029