This week online: Rian Hughes, Karen Rubins, Mike Medaglia & Robert Ball on graphic design on comics / Doctor Who novelist Lawrence Miles

Alex Fitch

Dec 30, 2013, 12:44:38 PM12/30/13
to Chris Weaver
Dear all,

no scheduled broadcast show this week, but a couple of new podcasts to tide you over the festive period!

online:

Panel Borders: Designing Comics

 In a coda to a trio of shows about the use of fine art in comics, Alex Fitch looks at graphic design in comics, in a panel discussion with Rian Hughes (2000AD), Karen Rubins (V and A artist in residence), Robert Ball (Winter’s Knight) and Mike Medaglia (The Comix Reader). Hughes talks about his segue from being a comics artist into a full time graphic designer and font creator, Rubins discusses the influence of medieval woodcut design in her comic Blood Magic, Ball examines his move from ‘mondo’ style superhero posters to silent fantasy graphic novels and Medaglia explores the connections between atypical panel layout and Taoist theory in his small press anthology Wu Wei. Recorded at Caption Festival, Summer 2013. (Panel Borders will return in the second week of January, 2014)

Reality Check: Lawrence Miles

Andrew Hickey talks to Lawrence Miles about his work, including Doctor Who novels Christmas on a Rational Planet and Alien Bodies, plus his Faction Paradox series. Andrew and Lawrence also discuss the latter’s unrealised plans for the nature of ‘The Enemy’ in the BBC Books Time War, the vaguaries of cover design and how his first book was nearly lost down the back of a cupboard!

recent podcasts:

Panel Borders: The Books of Shrigley

Concluding a trio of show about comics and fine art practice, Alex Fitch talks to cartoonist and fine artist David Shrigley about his work, from self published books of cartoons sold in pubs, to his recent nomination for the Turner Prize. Alex and David also discuss the links between the artist’s cartoons and sculptures, such as his short listed proposal for the fourth plinth in Trafalgar Square, his work as a spoken word artist and the vagaries of publishing. Originally broadcast Monday 16th December 2013, on Resonance 104.4 FM

Book List: Novelizing Doctor Who

In an hour long show looking at the long tradition ofDoctor Who novelizations and original novels, Alex Fitch talks to five novelists who have written books and monologues based on all eras of the show: Jenny Colgan, Paul Cornell, Tommy Donbavand, Marc Platt, and script editor (1970-1974) Terrance Dicks. Recorded in front of a live audience at SCI-FI-LONDON, Spring 2013.
(Originally broadcast 12/12/13 on Resonance FM)

online magazine:

ELECTRIC SHEEP MAGAZINE ISSUE 76: SMART CHILLS, COOL THRILLS

Big Bad Wolves, The Innocents, Shackled... As the days get darker and colder, December sees some brilliant releases to fit the mood, including the return of Jack Clayton’s The Innocents to the big screen, and the arrival of Israeli horror tale Big Bad Wolves by writer-director duo Aharon Keshales and Navot Papushado, who we had the pleasure to interview at this year's FrightFest.

Also out in cinemas are J.C. Chandor’s staggering one-man survival thriller All Is Lost and This Ain’t California, an affecting semi-documentary portrait of the skateboarding subculture in 1980s East Germany.

For anyone still looking for a Christmas present, home entertainment releases this month include one of the absolute must-sees of the year, Only God Forgives. We also have reviews of Indonesian psycho-horror Shackled (Belenggu) by Upi, along with Johnnie To’s Drug War, Michael Cimino’s Heaven's Gate, and Fritz Lang’s Dr. Mabuse, the Gambler. The BBC's 1970s horror anthology series Supernatural is finally available on DVD, while our 3D comic strip review by Paul O'Connell revisits Creature from The Black Lagoon, and we also look at action-adventure video game Beyond: Two Souls.

In features, we continue with our Daughters of Darkness theme with a feature on Ken Russell’s demonic women. We also have the second part of our extended interview with ‘king of the B-movie’ Roger Corman, and a new Colonial Report from the Dominion of Canada, while crime author Martyn Waites chooses 'The Woman in Black' as his filmic alter ego.■

www.electricsheepmagazine.com

Recommended events:

Signings at Gosh!

Cameron Stewart signing Sin Titulo

American artist Cameron Stewart is in London signing the Dark Horse hardback collection of his web comic Sin Titulo and other titles, Saturday 4th January 2-3pm

J. Michael Straczynski signing Sidekicks

Award winning screenwriter is in the UK signing his new monthly comic Sidekicks and other titles on Wednesday 8th January 5-7pm

Gosh!, 1 Berwick Street, London W1F 0DR

More info at www.goshlondon.com

Thanks for listening and Happy New Year,
Alex

iTunes "New and noteworthy" podcaster, November 2011 -  http://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/id390974029
Programme maker, Resonance 104.4 FM (Arts Council) - www.resonancefm.com
Assistant editor, Electric Sheep Magazine - www.electricsheepmagazine.com