donation from handshake.org

John MacFarlane

Nov 4, 2018, 1:58:43 AM11/4/18
to pandoc-...@googlegroups.com

Some happy news: pandoc has received a large donation
($100K) from handshake.org. Handshake.org is
"experimental peer-to-peer root DNS." This project has
nothing in particular to do with pandoc, but it has
decided to distribute some of the money collected from its
sponsors to the free and open software community. As
they say on their website:

> The traditional model of for-profit companies
> releasing open source code and hiring open source
> developers has historically been the primary method
> of community funding. The Handshake model is an
> experiment in a self-sustaining alternative source
> of no-obligation FOSS community support.

We are very grateful that pandoc was chosen as one of
the recipients of these donations.

haskell.org has agreed to serve as the umbrella
organization to hold the funds for us. We are allocating
15% of the money to them to help support the
Haskell infrastructure on which pandoc depends.
Of the remainder, 35% will be distributed to the five
core developers who have devoted enormous amounts of
time and energy to the project over the past several
years. That leaves 50% for future projects, to be
determined. There are a lot of possibilities here,
including bounties (particularly for large and onerous
changes to the code base, like String -> Text),
summer-of-Haskell projects, infrastructure such as
continuous integration, or a small hackathon.

We thank handshake.org very much for their support!

John Muccigrosso

Nov 4, 2018, 11:55:07 AM11/4/18
to pandoc-discuss
Congrats, John! Well deserved. Thanks as always to you and the other dedicated developers.

Priv.-Doz. Dr. Maria Shinoto

Nov 4, 2018, 6:23:26 PM11/4/18
to pandoc-...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations!

And thank you for creating this software and a great community.

Best wishes from a simple user,
Maria Shinoto

John O'Regan

Nov 21, 2018, 9:52:34 AM11/21/18
to pandoc-...@googlegroups.com
Congrats John!

Well deserved recognition for all the hard work you and the other
developers have put into Pandoc over the years.

John

Philip Hodder

Nov 22, 2018, 3:56:53 AM11/22/18
to pandoc-discuss