RFC: Designing Logo of Pandoc

Yuki Fujiwara

Aug 15, 2015, 9:44:39 PM8/15/15
to pandoc-...@googlegroups.com
Let's discuss to make Pandoc logo.

The logo strongly represent the existence of Pandoc and briefly show what it is.
This will be useful when we make a presentation.
To expand Pandoc to the world, the logo will be important.

We need to discuss about:

- What is the concept of logo design?
- Who can design the logo or how can we recruit designers?

or additional questions will be appeared.

--
Yuki FUJIWARA
sky.y...@gmail.com

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic

Aug 16, 2015, 1:39:15 AM8/16/15
to pandoc-...@googlegroups.com
I think the first question that needs to be asked is: does John want a logo?
> --

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Mi...@gmail.com
http://IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com

John MacFarlane

Aug 16, 2015, 10:15:15 AM8/16/15
to pandoc-...@googlegroups.com
+++ Ivan Lazar Miljenovic [Aug 16 15 15:39 ]:
>I think the first question that needs to be asked is: does John want a logo?

I've never felt much need for one. If someone came up
with a compelling idea, though, I'd consider it.

kurt.p...@googlemail.com

Aug 16, 2015, 1:56:02 PM8/16/15
to pandoc-discuss
It would definitely be nice if Pandoc had a logo of its own. (I just recently was asked for when when I submitted a talk about Pandoc+Markdown for a FOSS event, but unfortunately I found one for Markdown only).

However, it's also difficult to come up with a compelling idea for such a logo, unless you are a very gifted and creative artist (and also have had some exposition to Pandoc's features at work).

Anybody having connections to other FOSS communities like Gimp or Inkscape or LibreGraphicWorld.org folks could just ask there if there are volunteers who want to come up with visual suggestions...

kurt.p...@googlemail.com

Aug 16, 2015, 2:01:28 PM8/16/15
to pandoc-discuss

A Pandoc logo should look much more simple than this graphic, while expressing a similar amount of functionality:

Swiss Army Knife (ultimate version)

without at the same time conveying a feeling “But this is an utterly impractical and un-handy tool!”.

In other words: it should square the circle :-)

Daniel Staal

Aug 16, 2015, 2:41:09 PM8/16/15
to pandoc-...@googlegroups.com
--As of August 16, 2015 11:01:27 AM -0700, kurt.p...@googlemail.com is
> [Image: "Swiss Army Knife (ultimate version)"]
> without at the same time conveying a feeling “But this is an utterly
> impractical and un-handy tool!”.
>
> In other words: it should square the circle :-)
> ​

--As for the rest, it is mine.

I'm remembering that the website used to have this graphic with all the
input formats and output formats linked through some box - it looked like
some huge network diagram with everything going through the center. Some
stylized version of that is what comes to mind for me. You probably
couldn't produce a very small version, but it wouldn't ever really be used
as an icon, so that may not matter.

Daniel T. Staal

This email copyright the author. Unless otherwise noted, you
the contents for non-commercial purposes. This copyright will
local copyright law.

Nick Moffitt

Aug 16, 2015, 3:03:29 PM8/16/15
to pandoc-...@googlegroups.com
Daniel Staal:
> I'm remembering that the website used to have this graphic with all
> the input formats and output formats linked through some box - it
> looked like some huge network diagram with everything going through
> the center. Some stylized version of that is what comes to mind for
> me. You probably couldn't produce a very small version, but it
> wouldn't ever really be used as an icon, so that may not matter.

How about a carefully-coloured (perhaps solarized?) version of this
unicode mock-up:

┋❵⇔❴┋

It could be made more square, and I'm imagining the blocks would be
overlapping sets of colours in shuffled order. The arrow could be
dropped in favour of a simpler:

┋❵❴┋

It's a highly abstract symbol for a concept that's extremely common in
computer software, but I think it could be styled distinctively.

Stefan Björk

Aug 16, 2015, 3:33:40 PM8/16/15
to pandoc-...@googlegroups.com, Nick Moffitt

Just play around with the characters. Make it simple. there are plenty of possibilities.

Marc Chantreux

Aug 17, 2015, 3:11:02 PM8/17/15
to Nick Moffitt, pandoc-...@googlegroups.com
> How about a carefully-coloured (perhaps solarized?) version of this
> unicode mock-up

Pandoc have an awesome name for what it does, maybe the logo should use
∪ or ∀ to recall the "pan".

∀┋❵❴┋∆
Pαndoc

regards

--
Marc Chantreux (eiro on github and freenode)
http://eiro.github.com/

BP Jonsson

Aug 19, 2015, 7:00:58 AM8/19/15
to pandoc-...@googlegroups.com
Den 2015-08-16 21:33, Stefan Björk skrev:
> Just play around with the characters. Make it simple. there are plenty of
> possibilities.

*If* Pandoc is going to have a logo I think we should learn from
history:

* +1 Knuth designed a logo for TeX which could be reproduced by
*tex* the program without relying on any image file.

* -1 He didn't make it simple enough: it was and is hard to
reproduce with other tools.

Thus a Pandoc logo should be possible to reproduce with pandoc and
the tools pandoc uses and caters for, without the need for any
special tools, fonts, images or drawing skill.

Therefore I suggest a logo which is the word 'Pandoc' in an italic
'typewriter' font, with an asterisk on either side. I prefer the
Computer Modern italic typewriter font, because it looks both
italic and typewriter-like, but any italic typewriter font should do.

Such a logo can be easily reproduced with code like the following.

docbook:

html:

latex:

: ``` \emph{\texttt{*Pandoc*}} ```

markdown:

: ``` *`*Pandoc*`* ```

mediawiki:

: ``` ''<code>*Pandoc*</code>'' ```

rst:

: ``` *``*Pandoc*``* ```

textile:

: ``` _@*Pandoc*@_ ```

When there *is* need for something icon-like (although to me icon
and CLI don't really go together) the equivalent of `` *`*P*`* ``,
possibly framed, can be used.

/bpj
pandoc-logo.pdf

Paulo Ney de Souza

Aug 19, 2015, 11:05:05 AM8/19/15
to pandoc-...@googlegroups.com
Let me choose where to start ...

1- To have a logo that is text based and simple is nice, but what you count as a "minus" point on Knuth's design was in fact very intentional -- the TeX logo, executed by "\TeX" exhibits carefully crafted kerning of the characaters, that back in 1979 only TeX was able to do and right now if you try repeating it in InDesign you will see how hard it is to reproduce it.

2- Now your choice of Computer Modern is really really off! CM was designed for another time and another computer technology and another screen resolution 72 dpi rather than the retina displays we use right now. Even after re-designs and adaptations over the years to accommodate for new font technology, it is unreadable on the preferred reading devices of our times like iPad and high resolution phones. The choice of slanted is even worst - look at the kerning between the "o" and the "c" in your PDF file.

Paulo Ney

John Muccigrosso

Aug 19, 2015, 5:30:46 PM8/19/15
to pandoc-discuss, ni...@zork.net
Kind of like this. :-)

Luis Rivera

Aug 21, 2015, 8:01:06 PM8/21/15

On Monday, August 17, 2015 at 2:11:02 PM UTC-5, marc chantreux wrote:
> How about a carefully-coloured (perhaps solarized?) version of this
> unicode mock-up

Pandoc have an awesome name for what it does, maybe the logo should use
∪ or ∀ to recall the "pan".

    ∀┋❵❴┋∆

 I'd vote for "Pαndoc", but it requires Unicode; Plain ASCII alternatives may be [Pandoc], <Pandoc>, >Pandoc<, or >Pandoc>, a reminder of its markdown origins.

Cheers,

Yuki Fujiwara

Aug 22, 2015, 5:59:39 PM8/22/15
to pandoc-discuss
I don't know if whether he want it but a prototype of logo will be a strong suggestion for him.

2015年8月16日日曜日 14時39分15秒 UTC+9 Ivan Miljenovic:

Yuki Fujiwara

Aug 22, 2015, 6:25:31 PM8/22/15
to pandoc-discuss
To sum up, currently there are ideas below:

- Based on the text "Pandoc"
- Need to consider about font designing
- Something generated by Pandoc itself
- Inspired by the "Input-Output Graph" image
- unicode mock-up: ┋❵⇔❴┋ , ┋❵❴┋
- Stefan's logo idea
- Marc's idea
    ∀┋❵❴┋∆
    Pαndoc

If you come up with another idea, please share it.
Otherwise let's vote one of them.

I like Marc's idea but I cannot imagine his idea correctly.
Marc, could you illustrate your idea in an image or PDF format?

2015年8月16日日曜日 10時44分39秒 UTC+9 Yuki Fujiwara:

kurt.p...@googlemail.com

Aug 24, 2015, 6:47:03 AM8/24/15
to pandoc-discuss

Am Sonntag, 23. August 2015 00:25:31 UTC+2 schrieb Yuki Fujiwara:
To sum up, currently there are ideas below:

- Based on the text "Pandoc"
- Need to consider about font designing
- Something generated by Pandoc itself
- Inspired by the "Input-Output Graph" image
- unicode mock-up: ┋❵⇔❴┋ , ┋❵❴┋
- Stefan's logo idea
- Marc's idea
    ∀┋❵❴┋∆
    Pαndoc

If you come up with another idea, please share it.
Otherwise let's vote one of them.

Naa. Too early.

Allow time for more people to come up with some ideas.

This shouldn't be forcefully rushed...

(For example, I've asked two of my "creative" friends for suggestions. But they are only now starting to familiarize themselves with Pandoc. So this may take a few weeks.)

Albert Krewinkel

Oct 31, 2015, 3:45:23 PM10/31/15
to pandoc-discuss

On Sunday, August 16, 2015 at 3:44:39 AM UTC+2, Yuki Fujiwara wrote:
Let's discuss to make Pandoc logo.

Here's what came to mind (ASCII for simplicity, would hopefully look better as a proper vector graphic):

            ___     ____  ,- - - ,
          ,'  |\   /   /,'    |   !
       _,'    |_\ /   /_____,'    !
    ,''          <              ,'
   !  ,--.       |\   \```-----'
   !,' `, ',_____|,\___\
    ', . . . . . /

It's a Möbius strip with a document symbol on the left and an arrow pointing to it on the right.  The Möbius strip has just one single side, just like all document structures are the same (modulo some layout).  Converting to and from a document doesn't really change anything, the space of documents is infinite and merges back into itself.

John MacFarlane

Nov 1, 2015, 2:28:11 PM11/1/15
to pandoc-...@googlegroups.com
+++ Albert Krewinkel [Oct 31 15 12:45 ]:
I like the idea, but I'm having trouble visualizing it from
the ascii art!

Nick Moffitt

Nov 1, 2015, 3:38:47 PM11/1/15
to pandoc-...@googlegroups.com
John MacFarlane:
> +++ Albert Krewinkel [Oct 31 15 12:45 ]:
> > ___ ____ ,- - - ,
> > ,' |\ / /,' | !
> > _,' |_\ / /_____,' !
> > ,'' < ,'
> > ! ,--. |\ \```-----'
> > !,' `, ',_____|,\___\
> > ', . . . . . /
>
> I like the idea, but I'm having trouble visualizing it from
> the ascii art!

The loops at the edges are the möbius strip, ending in a
leftward-pointing arrow to the right of centre.
Left of centre is a classic dog-eared "document" icon, which
dissolves/tapers into the left side of the strip's loops.

kurt.p...@googlemail.com

Nov 1, 2015, 5:16:53 PM11/1/15
to pandoc-discuss

I've messaged a friend of mine about this idea, who is really good with Inkscape-KungFoo.

Maybe he will come up with a vector version soonish...

Albert Krewinkel

Nov 1, 2015, 5:17:23 PM11/1/15
to pandoc-discuss

On Sunday, November 1, 2015 at 8:28:11 PM UTC+1, John MacFarlane wrote:
I like the idea, but I'm having trouble visualizing it from
the ascii art!

Still not great, but I hope the sketch below gets the idea across.  I'll ask some friends tomorrow if they can help me generate a nicer version.

Kolen Cheung

Dec 8, 2016, 5:56:18 AM12/8/16
to pandoc-discuss

Sorry, I unintentionally created a new thread on a similar topic: pandoc logo - Google Groups. Any further discussion should goes here.

Over there I draft a design of pandoc logo by playing on the symmetry between P and d. One expression of that idea is an axe looks like P and the same thing rotated looks like d. The reason an axe is used is because this kind of echo pandoc being like a Swiss army knife, where an axe is like that on steroid. A proper design of that axe should resemble the letter P and d better.

Another way the pd trick would work is to partially overlap the circle while using negative space.

If anyone think that’s a good idea, I could create a better draft of the idea.

As to where the logo is needed:

  • packaged installers
  • website logo (so called favicon)
  • anywhere pandoc is mentioned
  • a pandoc-extras website that I might be setting up

One consideration on designing the logo might follow the \LaTeX example which is text only, because pandoc is primarily for processing texts. To push this idea further, we might even be constructing this logo by math so that together with a macro, using something like \pandoc in markdown will output a proper pandoc “logo” in any output formats.

Another point is to make sure the logo looks great both when it is very tiny (16x16??) and very big.

Joost Kremers

Dec 8, 2016, 7:31:32 AM12/8/16
to pandoc-...@googlegroups.com

On Thu, Dec 08 2016, Kolen Cheung wrote:
> Over there I draft a design of pandoc logo by playing on the
> symmetry
> between P and d. One expression of that idea is an axe looks
> like P and the
> same thing rotated looks like d. The reason an axe is used is
> because this
> kind of echo pandoc being like a Swiss army knife, where an axe
> is like
> that on steroid. A proper design of that axe should resemble the
> letter P
> and d better.

FWIW, I don't associate an axe with "Swiss army knife on
steroids". A Swiss army knife gets its reputation because instead
of being just a knife, it has a lot of different tools for
different jobs. An axe is, well, just an axe, and sophistication
is not what comes to mind when I think about its cutting power.

That plus the fact that I think it'll be difficult if not
impossible to make an axe look like a p or d means that I would
suggest not to pursue the idea of using axes. I do very much like
the idea of integrating a p and a d into the logo, and sadly have
no better ideas to offer. :-(

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

Kolen Cheung

Dec 8, 2016, 7:56:29 AM12/8/16
to pandoc-discuss
I think may be just using the type (it was the original idea). Say pick a good open source font, and play with negative space.

I don't know if the short form will be too short though, I never heard people called pandoc `pd` (though I heard pmd, PFM, etc.). But on the other hand, having the `an` and `oc` seems killing the idea. (one of the example above kind of did this and is kind of ugly. But then his idea of joining the Pd together along the straight line might worth exploring: may be a multi-axe? Multitool on steroid?)

John MacFarlane

Dec 8, 2016, 7:58:58 AM12/8/16
to pandoc-...@googlegroups.com
+++ Joost Kremers [Dec 08 16 13:31 ]:
I once thought about using the two letter combination

∀Δ

∀ for pan (all)
Δ for doc

A good graphic designer might be able to combine these
shapes in a pleasing way. But, maybe too obscure.

BP Jonsson

Dec 8, 2016, 8:29:36 AM12/8/16
to pandoc-...@googlegroups.com
I say keep it simple and obvious, like the attached most humble
proposal.

The word PANDOC being spelled out is a feature, but I can see an
"icon" version which is reduced to the document outline, the P
with the D below it and the asterisk.

The turned A emphasizes the meaning "all" of the Greek word "pan",
i.e. Pandoc converts between "all" markup formats. The asterisk
symbolizes Markdown, Pandoc's preferred source format,
and light markup in general.

/bpj
proposed-pandoc-logo.svg

Kolen Cheung

Dec 8, 2016, 9:23:52 AM12/8/16
to pandoc-discuss
Good idea. I'll try to play with that idea. One bonus is that the 2 diagonals can be highlighted to be the pandoc-extras logo, stands for X. I don't think the obscurity is a problem. Logo should be very simple and easily identifiable even when its tiny, and only when it caught the viewer's attention, they got curious and closer, wanting to know what it stands for. This logo idea while very simple, tells the story behind the name of pandoc.

I think rather than designing a type, which requires a lot of skills, may be borrowing an existing open source font is better. However, since both "letters" are of different languages, probably only math font has both, which might be a good idea too, given the strong Mathematical heritage (logics is usually co-taught between math and phil dept; then Haskell is the "most Mathematical programming language"; then texmath; then the close relation between pandoc and LaTeX, which is from TeX, which is invented by a math prof). It might be a lot of digression, but many other "alternatives of pandoc" treated math as an afterthought, claiming they support LaTeX but actually means MathJax, etc.

One challenge is to find one that the 2 diagonals join nicely (same angle).

Another "funny" idea is to choose some ancient looking character, looks like those from papyrus. It is kind of playful to looks so ancient yet a so modern tool.

John Gabriele

Dec 8, 2016, 9:55:21 AM12/8/16
to pandoc-...@googlegroups.com
The "pan" part of Pandoc makes me think of Pan-Am (airline) or
Pan-Pacific ... something that traverses the globe (even though it
actually traverses the doc format landscape). I'd suggest a graphical
logo of the Earth with a doc page partly curling around it (almost
similar to how the mozilla firefox logo has the fox going around the
Earth).

-- John

BP Jonsson

Dec 8, 2016, 10:05:18 AM12/8/16
to pandoc-...@googlegroups.com
Den 2016-12-08 kl. 15:23, skrev Kolen Cheung:
> since both "letters" are of different languages, probably only math font has both

Not so. Attached are some examples of fonts on my system which
have both. You need to look at fonts which cater to linguist types.

I can't help pointing out, though, that the Greek word for
'document', ἔγγραπτος, doesn't start with a Δ, so perhaps a
ligature of Ɐ and a Latin D would be more appropriate.

/bpj

pdcl.pdf

John MacFarlane

Dec 8, 2016, 2:40:26 PM12/8/16
to pandoc-...@googlegroups.com
+++ BP Jonsson [Dec 08 16 16:05 ]:
A very good point.

Another alternative would be the ∀ symbol superimposed on
some kind of iconic representation of a book or document.

Kolen Cheung

Dec 8, 2016, 6:02:10 PM12/8/16
to pandoc-discuss

Since the Etymology of pandoc is mixed, and the fact that \forall is not really of any Etymological origin, I think the \Delta is ok as long as it kind of convey the meaning. The \forall \Delta thing gives me a picture of this: \forall \delta_i, \delta_j \in \Delta, \text{pandoc}_{ij}: \delta_i \rightarrow \delta_j

By the way, looking at the PDF, it seems it is not difficult to find one that both \forall and \Delta are at the same angle.

But then on 2nd thought, \forall and \Delta has very simple strokes, so make be using shape not type is better.

Kolen Cheung

Dec 8, 2016, 9:08:30 PM12/8/16
to pandoc-discuss
A concept on $forall\Delta$: ![forallDelta](https://www.dropbox.com/s/lic1tqfcsal8bm8/forallDelta.jpg?dl=0)

I am on the go and can't render the markdown though...

Luis Rivera

Dec 8, 2016, 9:26:59 PM12/8/16
to pandoc-discuss
In recall that in some Polish notation oriented logical systems, the universal quantifier is marked by a Pi (product Π); and one particular attic numeral is an uppercase delta inside an uppercase pi, meaning 50 (pente deka). It's found in slot "02 in the TeX LGR encoding. So you may not need to design anything new.

Cheers,

yes
> are you sure?
>> because it doesn't follow the natural order of the conversation.
>>>Why is top posting annoying?
screenshot.08-12-2016 20.24.06.png

John Muccigrosso

Dec 8, 2016, 11:14:48 PM12/8/16
to pandoc-discuss
Gang,

You are totally geeking out on this. Who knows what an upside-down A means, even among the many humanists who use pandoc.

KISS!

Kolen Cheung

Dec 9, 2016, 12:53:35 AM12/9/16
to pandoc-discuss

It is a great story! I’ve never heard of that.

It sparks an idea like \Pi_i \Delta_i (The i of the \Pi should be under it. Markdown-here don’t support Display equation so it doesn’t looks right. Not too serious though).

And this is the previous concept I was talking about:

forallDelta

Kolen Cheung

Dec 9, 2016, 1:12:47 AM12/9/16
to pandoc-discuss

Do you mean it in a good way or bad way? Geeky might actually describe the pandoc community very well.

And it’s called Turned A, which is just a san-serif, unside-down A: \forall. And I think secondary school taught this to every kid?? (Hong Kong’s secondary school math was taught much more advanced than other “country” though. I quoted it since HK is not a country. But the new government changed our syllabus so HK kids no longer have that advantage. I think it is a political move. So sad…)

Kolen Cheung

Dec 9, 2016, 5:36:23 AM12/9/16
to pandoc-discuss

Another idea is to base the logo on a well-estabished one, see below.

I think colors should be added, then the shape changed in a way looks more like Pd. The shape emphasize a duality, just like in pandoc, for any 2 given formats, you (usually) can go back and forth between them (another way of saying \forall \delta_i, \delta_j \in \Delta, \text{pandoc}_{ij}: \delta_i \rightarrow \delta_j)

One possible variation of the shape is the outer border becomes a square, giving a much more distinct yet familiar look.

太極

Kolen Cheung

Dec 9, 2016, 5:37:34 AM12/9/16
to pandoc-discuss

oops, emails has problems with svg. Click this link if the previous one doesn’t work: File:Yin yang.svg - Wikimedia Commons

Kolen Cheung

Dec 9, 2016, 5:38:29 AM12/9/16
to pandoc-discuss

Sorry! This one should work now!

太極

John MacFarlane

Dec 9, 2016, 5:54:50 AM12/9/16
to pandoc-...@googlegroups.com
> In recall that in some Polish notation oriented logical systems, the
> universal quantifier is marked by a Pi (product Π); and one particular
> attic numeral is an uppercase delta inside an uppercase pi, meaning 50
> (pente deka). It's found in slot "02 in the TeX LGR encoding. So you
> may not need to design anything new.

Clever idea, but it looks a bit too much like a hangman's noose!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attic_numerals#/media/File:Attic_00050.svg

daniel

Dec 9, 2016, 12:41:23 PM12/9/16
to pandoc-...@googlegroups.com
On 2016-12-09 01:12, Kolen Cheung wrote:
> Do you mean it in a good way or bad way? Geeky might actually describe
> the pandoc community very well.
>
> And it’s called Turned A [1], which is just a san-serif, unside-down
> A: . And I think secondary school taught this to every kid?? (Hong
> Kong’s secondary school math was taught much more advanced than
> other “country” though. I quoted it since HK is not a country. But
> the new government changed our syllabus so HK kids no longer have that
> advantage. I think it is a political move. So sad…)

I went through college-level calculus in high school, and this thread is
the first time I've heard of it. So I wouldn't expect it to be common
knowledge. ;)

Daniel T. Staal

> Links:
> ------
> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turned_A
> [2]
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/38299009-1073-4d30-9d44-aab7a3acfe0d%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer

This email copyright the author. Unless otherwise noted, you
the contents for non-commercial purposes. This copyright will
local copyright law.

Sergio Correia

Dec 9, 2016, 1:43:47 PM12/9/16
to pandoc-discuss
You might also want to go for something related to the function instead of the name. EG:

Alternatively, translation icons can provide some inspiration:

Pablo Rodríguez

Dec 9, 2016, 2:26:56 PM12/9/16
to pandoc-...@googlegroups.com
John,

FreeSerif contains a much better designed glyph. (BTW, it reminds me of
a triangle dinner bell, not of a noose.)

pandoc for all could have been designed such as
http://www.ousia.tk/pandoc-for-all.pdf (SVG version:
http://www.ousia.tk/pandoc-for-all.svg)

Just in case it might help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

Joseph Reagle

Dec 9, 2016, 2:57:36 PM12/9/16
to pandoc-...@googlegroups.com
On 12/9/16 2:28 PM, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
> pandoc for all could have been designed such as

If you go that route, I'd vertically center delta and ∀.

pandoc-for-all-centered.svg

Pablo Rodríguez

Dec 9, 2016, 3:11:13 PM12/9/16
to pandoc-...@googlegroups.com
pandoc is both Pi and delta (both are the ancient Greek numeral).

I have avoided to center delta and ∀ to reflect that both glyphs that
conform pandoc are open to all.

But this is only a suggestion if anyone is interested in this way of
designing the logo.

I agree with John Muccigrosso: ∀ is a cryptic sign. Of course, not for
John, who is a world-known specialist on logic (sorry for being fuzzy in
the description ;-)).

Being my background on humanities, I know the sign from university
(lectures on logic). But requiring Logic 101 to understand the pandoc
logo... maybe we should focus in making pandoc itself more useable for
the rest of us.

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

Kolen Cheung

Dec 9, 2016, 9:14:12 PM12/9/16
to pandoc-discuss

Base on @jgm’s design on pandoc logo - Google Groups, see below.

Just a concept though. I simplified the idea since I can’t think of a nice way to have 2 documents there (it will becomes too rectangular). If we really want to put the documents there, they may be added at the tip of the arrows?

I also tried drawing it not in straight lines but curves. I wanted to make it looks like a smily face, but so far my attempt has been a creepy face…

forall - arrow

Kolen Cheung

Dec 9, 2016, 9:22:11 PM12/9/16
to pandoc-discuss

I played with the idea using Π and Δ. For example, a crossover with Sergio’s reference to https://cdn3.iconfinder.com/data/icons/text-editor-1/24/Translate-512.png

But then I can’t help but be reminded of Fraternities and sororities, when they are in upper case.

Kolen Cheung

Dec 9, 2016, 9:46:41 PM12/9/16
to pandoc-discuss

Another factor to consider: if we want the logo to reflects pandoc as a document converter, how to capture the difference between pandoc and any other document converter?

One idea doing this is pandoc as a converter

Again, it is just a concept. The rectangle can have some “contents”, the circle in the center can be anything. For example, I’m thinking about Pd.

Alexis BRENON

Dec 10, 2016, 4:40:29 AM12/10/16
to pandoc-discuss

Hi guys,

I tried something like this, that :
  • Fits nicely near to the Pandoc name
  • Has a near to square ration
  • Can be approached using text only (with Unicode characters U+2200 and U+1F5CE)
These are just some tries.

pandoc_logo.png

Joost Kremers

Dec 10, 2016, 5:04:09 AM12/10/16
to pandoc-...@googlegroups.com

On Sat, Dec 10 2016, Alexis BRENON wrote:
> Hi guys,
> I tried something like this, that :
>
> - Fits nicely near to the Pandoc name
> - Has a near to square ration
> - Can be approached using text only (with Unicode characters
> U+2200 and
> U+1F5CE)
>
> These are just some tries.
>
> <https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-uCZMwydi8u4/WEvNVX0LunI/AAAAAAAADKo/ZfmphLBS_socrRsPAAxZavcLlVpf-K9NQCLcB/s1600/pandoc_logo.png>

Best proposal yet, IMHO. I especially like the straight (i.e.,
bottom) one.

John Muccigrosso

Dec 10, 2016, 1:17:46 PM12/10/16
to pandoc-discuss
I remain not a fan of the inverted A, but I do like this. How about some color?

Insane

Dec 10, 2016, 1:50:30 PM12/10/16
to pandoc-discuss

I tried to combine as many of my favourite ideas from these threads as possible, while keeping the result simple. Here's the result for now:

daniel

Dec 10, 2016, 2:21:52 PM12/10/16
to pandoc-...@googlegroups.com
On 2016-12-10 13:50, 'Insane' via pandoc-discuss wrote:
> [1]I tried to combine as many of my favourite ideas from these
> threads as possible, while keeping the result simple. Here's the
> result for now: [1]
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1]
> https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-S8Fwe-PISrU/WExNwRXJHKI/AAAAAAAAAFo/tRbv1NAYBWoEBitmvDRFY_bc5xv07lnMACLcB/s1600/pandoc.png

That one's awesome, in my opinion. ;)

Daniel T. Staal

Insane

Dec 10, 2016, 2:55:53 PM12/10/16
to pandoc-discuss

After reading through the latest messages, I realized that my last idea was not particularly squarish, so here's another attempt. The idea was that the overlapping documents already form the general shapes of the P and D. I'm not sure how well that comes across. Maybe the "holes" could be turned into arrowheads or something… I've kind of run out of steam on this one.

Alexis BRENON

Dec 10, 2016, 4:55:58 PM12/10/16
to pandoc-discuss
Wow! Last one is very impressive!

Using arrows for holes could be a good idea, but letting them white (or transparent) as the borders can increase the contrast and so the legibility!

For remarks about colors, Pandoc is not very colorful, all its website use only shades of gray. By the way using a dark gray (#333 as the Pandoc title on the site) instead of pure black could improve the logo design.

Is there a way a to get the svg file of the last logo attempt?

Kind!
Alex.

Le sam. 10 déc. 2016 20:55, 'Insane' via pandoc-discuss <pandoc-...@googlegroups.com> a écrit :

After reading through the latest messages, I realized that my last idea was not particularly squarish, so here's another attempt. The idea was that the overlapping documents already form the general shapes of the P and D. I'm not sure how well that comes across. Maybe the "holes" could be turned into arrowheads or something… I've kind of run out of steam on this one.

Insane

Dec 10, 2016, 6:36:40 PM12/10/16
to pandoc-discuss

Is there a way a to get the svg file of the last logo attempt?

Sure. Here are both, so have fun! I already changed the colors like you recommended.

Also, thx for the nice words.

Cheers!
pandoc2_2o.svg
pandoc_o.svg

Kolen Cheung

Dec 10, 2016, 7:27:25 PM12/10/16
to pandoc-discuss
What's the meaning of the curves on the outer left and right border?

I'm thinking the empty spaces the the top right and bottom left corners might be visually unbalanced. To fill the space we could add 2 arrows there like one of the logo examples above. But, I think it will clutter your design. Another idea is to shrink the D a bit to be "eaten" by the lower right empty space of the P.

And then I'm not sure using a capital D might cause a problem: it has been emphasized PanDoc is wrong. But because it is a logo, probably more freedom should be granted. The idea to embed a document in the shape of P and D seems too good to be passed.

John Muccigrosso

Dec 10, 2016, 11:13:09 PM12/10/16
to pandoc-discuss
I like the concept!

I do find the letters a bit hard to decipher though. A simpler font?

Insane

Dec 11, 2016, 7:48:19 AM12/11/16
to pandoc-discuss

On Sunday, December 11, 2016 at 1:27:25 AM UTC+1, Kolen Cheung wrote:
What's the meaning of the curves on the outer left and right border?

They are vestigial remains of the curved braces in this idea: ┋}▭{┋. (Look at the negative space to see it.) They make more sense in the first idea, but I kept them in the second one because they help the "documents" occupy more horizontal space without making them look out of proportion, and because they form a kind of serifs. But yes, they do make the PD harder to see.

I'm thinking the empty spaces the the top right and bottom left corners might be visually unbalanced. To fill the space we could add 2 arrows there like one of the logo examples above. But, I think it will clutter your design.

Removing the curved outsides might just clean up the design enough that such arrows don't hurt. Give it a go!

Yuki Fujiwara

Dec 11, 2016, 8:36:05 AM12/11/16
to pandoc-discuss
Hi guys,

I'm one of early member in this thread.
Thanks for renaissance of this discussion, Albert and Kolen :)
I have watched ideas here in these days.

+1 for Insane's logos. It seems to be rough, but simple and easy to use as logos.

- pandoc2_2o.svg is more useful and simple.
- pandoc_o.svg is literally readable for beginners but more complicated.

In addition, jgm's idea is also my favorite because it's sophisticated and philosophical.
(Of course, I know that he is a literal Philosophiae Doctor!)

2016年12月8日木曜日 19時56分18秒 UTC+9 Kolen Cheung:

[...]

Alexis BRENON

Dec 12, 2016, 9:37:03 AM12/12/16
to pandoc-discuss
Hi,

Based on the insane's idea.I think it still need some work on the curly braces and maybe some work to include the flipped corner of the documents.

Kind,
Alexis.

Le dimanche 16 août 2015 03:44:39 UTC+2, Yuki Fujiwara a écrit :
Let's discuss to make Pandoc logo.

The logo strongly represent the existence of Pandoc and briefly show what it is.
This will be useful when we make a presentation.
To expand Pandoc to the world, the logo will be important.

We need to discuss about:

- What is the concept of logo design?
- Who can design the logo or how can we recruit designers?

or additional questions will be appeared.

--
Yuki FUJIWARA
sky.y...@gmail.com

Albert Krewinkel

Dec 12, 2016, 10:45:22 AM12/12/16
to pandoc-discuss

I am a huge fan of very simple logos, so here is another suggestion (very rough sketch): It's a piece of paper (letter or a4) folded in two places.  The result resembles both a "p" and "d" as well as an mathematical integral sign (as pandoc "integrates" all document formats into a single type). This would probably look best using two, or maybe three, colors.

Thøger Emil Rivera-Thorsen

Dec 13, 2016, 8:03:29 AM12/13/16