Can't get it to load under Debian

Werelds

Feb 25, 2010, 2:47:33 PM2/25/10
to Panda
Title says it all, it just won't finish loading in anything but the
test environment.

Let me state up front that I'm completely new to Ruby, so I'm only
just digging into how merb works for example.

All the appropriate libraries and gems are installed as far as I can
tell, had to compile a few things manually here and there, because the
versions as available from apt don't always work. Working off the
Ruby-1.8.6-p399 snapshot, under a Debian x64 VM (Virtualbox).

Below you can see the output when I try to start the interactive merb
console; please notice how it stops after loading application.rb. It
randomly loads the user and profile models sometimes, but most of the
time it quits on the app controller.

If I run it in the test environment (by adding -e test), it does load,
but it ignores config/aws.rb with the adjusted location of SDB, in
this case a local simpledb-dev instance which is already running.

xxx@debian:/var/local/www/panda$ merb -iVD -l debug
Debugger enabled
~ Running bootloaders...
~ It took: 0
~ It took: 0
~ It took: 0
~ It took: 0
~ Loaded DEVELOPMENT Environment...
~ Expanding RUBY_PATH...
~ It took: 1
~ It took: 0
~ It took: 0
~ Parent pid: 2923
xxx@debian:/var/local/www/panda$

Damien Tanner

Feb 26, 2010, 9:53:34 AM2/26/10
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hrm okay, so there's absolutely no error output, it just baulks silently?
Damien Tanner Damien Tanner - Co-Founder and Director, Panda
+44 (0)20 7099 7486 - pandastream.com - @pandastream

Werelds

Feb 26, 2010, 2:31:37 PM2/26/10
to Panda
Yep, that's exactly what it does, and as you can see from the
commandline, I've enabled both the debugger as well as verbosity, so I
have no clue what's going on.

The fact that it randomly gets to load an additional file on a few
occasions, and that it loads fine with -e test makes it even weirder.

I know it's not meant to be running on Debian, but we have so many CPU
cycles unused that this seemed like a good way to make use of them.

Paul.

Damien Tanner

Mar 1, 2010, 12:43:20 PM3/1/10
to panda...@googlegroups.com
I'm really not sure what could be causing this. My next port of call would be do try and replicate the test env settings on dev and try out different combos.

Werelds

Mar 1, 2010, 12:54:30 PM3/1/10
to Panda
Guess I'll just have to skim through the source files to see if
anything else changes based on the environment. Checked out the
environment/x.rb files, copied the contents of the dev file to the
test file, but test still worked so it's not in there.

I just don't get why it stops like that, completely puzzled.

Thanks for checking this thread out anyways!

Paul.

On Mar 1, 6:43 pm, Damien Tanner <dam...@pandastream.com> wrote:
> I'm really not sure what could be causing this. My next port of call would
> be do try and replicate the test env settings on dev and try out different
> combos.
>
>  [image: Damien Tanner] Damien Tanner - Co-Founder and Director, Panda
> +44 (0)20 7099 7486 - pandastream.com -

> @pandastream<http://twitter.com/pandastream>

> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 7:31 PM, Werelds <paulwere...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yep, that's exactly what it does, and as you can see from the
> > commandline, I've enabled both the debugger as well as verbosity, so I
> > have no clue what's going on.
>
> > The fact that it randomly gets to load an additional file on a few
> > occasions, and that it loads fine with -e test makes it even weirder.
>
> > I know it's not meant to be running on Debian, but we have so many CPU
> > cycles unused that this seemed like a good way to make use of them.
>
> > Paul.

Damien Tanner

Mar 1, 2010, 1:00:23 PM3/1/10
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Yes, puzzling, I really wish I could help out more!