Beagleboard XM vs Pandaboard

Daniel Grillo

Oct 27, 2010, 2:53:10 PM10/27/10
to pandaboard
Hello folks,

I'm new here. It's my first post. I'm from Brazil.

I never worked with embedded linux and would like to learn. So I
decided to buy a BeagleBoard.

I'd buy a Beagleboard XM, but I've heard about Pandaboard.

I'd like to know if is it better to buy Pandaboard instead of
Beagleboard XM?

Thanks

PS: Sorry for my English. I don't speak English very well, but I'm
studying every day to improve it.

Jayabharath Goluguri

Oct 28, 2010, 6:52:46 PM10/28/10
to pandaboard

On Oct 27, 1:53 pm, Daniel Grillo <oengenheiro.com...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> I'm new here. It's my first post. I'm from Brazil.
>
> I never worked with embedded linux and would like to learn. So I
> decided to buy a BeagleBoard.
>
> I'd buy a Beagleboard XM, but I've heard about Pandaboard.
>
> I'd like to know if is it better to buy Pandaboard instead of
> Beagleboard XM?

If you ask this on the pandaboard mailinglist the - ofcourse we will
say PandaBoard :)

IMHO, both are very awesome platforms but it really depends on what
you to learn & accomplish.

I would recommend you to study the following resources:
* http://pandaboard.org/content/platform
* http://omappedia.org/wiki/PandaBoard_FAQ

You can come back with specific questions on what your planning to do
with it -- so we can help your answer whether pandaboard can meet this
you needs.

--Jayabharath

Tom Mitchell

Sep 21, 2012, 11:29:43 PM9/21/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 4:08 AM, <sadhanand...@gmail.com> wrote:
which one is better for image processing applications ?
On Thursday, October 28, 2010 12:23:10 AM UTC+5:30, Daniel Grillo wrote:
Hello folks,

I never worked with embedded linux and would like to learn. So I
decided to buy a BeagleBoard.

I'd buy a Beagleboard XM, but I've heard about Pandaboard.

I'd like to know if is it better to buy Pandaboard instead of
Beagleboard XM?

A lot depends on what images you intend to process.
Size, rate, type, encoding, hardware interface, storage,
display, network links, control panel, reliability etc.

My guess is that the BeagleBoards have more working peripheral
stuff surrounding them.  If there is enough memory and
processing power that is an edge.  The PandaBd has more
cores and more RAM...   You can build a side by side
table and validate the facts both are well documented and
open designs.

Image processing is difficult with any platform because codecs are
not all public, data is often big, hardware (cameras and displays) can
be expensive and difficult to interface.   DC Power limits on both Beagle and
Panda boards confuse many new arrivals.

Have you tried to prototype your goals on a laptop yet?

This is from the beagleboard site and applies to both Panda and Beagle boards
to one degree or another:

"As with previous BeagleBoard.org offerings, the BeagleBoard-xM is not intended to be a complete development environment, but rather a community-supported platform that can be used as the basis for building more complete development systems and as a target for community software baselines. Please consider purchasing an evaluation module (EVM) from Texas Instruments or one of the several commercial system-on-module vendors for the device with which you plan to develop if you are building a commercial product."

--
  T o m   M i t c h e l l

answesh

Sep 29, 2014, 9:27:29 AM9/29/14
to panda...@googlegroups.com
HI Jayabharath,
                      i am new to Embedded Linux , can u tell me which is better board for Android..

Marco Ferrari

Oct 1, 2014, 6:41:02 AM10/1/14
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Actually the Pandaboard has been abandoned as a development platform (it's a consequence of layoffs by Texas Instruments). It's not been supported anymore and has some stability problems.

Choose the beagle if you can.

PS: I own both the Panda and BeagleBoard Black.