Remote access to a PandaBoard to do some tests?

rafaelaroca

Oct 27, 2010, 7:03:47 PM10/27/10
to pandaboard
Hi guys, I just got a BB-xM and ordering a PandaBoard is now out of my
budget.

Right now, I would like to do some tests and comparisons of the
PandaBoard multi-core performance versus multi-core the performance in
other architectures. I would compare using pthreads and maybe OpenMP.

Well, what I would like to know is if someone that owns a PandaBoard
would be willing to give a temporary remote access to the board (ssh
or telnet) so that i can run some tests and them do this comparison,
that I would share with you. It would not take long. Maybe 1, 2 or 3
access in 2 days or less.

Well, thats it. Thanks

Anyway, this idea of an on-line demo board would probably be nice for
several people to log remotely and get to know better the board.

Rafael

Bill Fleming

Oct 28, 2010, 7:57:17 AM10/28/10
to pandaboard
I just ordered mine and have also wanted to see some tests using
Pthreads or OpenMP. (we are learning these in my graduate parallel
class right now)

So if you have some programs in mind to run I could try them on my
core 2s (underclocked) and maybe try some stuff on this Itanium system
I have access to. (Alabama Super Computer)
However my board is back ordered and it looks like I won't get it till
December. (counting the few days it will take to ship, and get it up
and running)

Bill

Rafael Aroca

Oct 28, 2010, 3:28:35 PM10/28/10
to panda...@googlegroups.com
I was thinking of some classical test such as pi approximation, dense matrix multiplication. But thanks for the possibility....so maybe in some weeks we can talk about it again...

I also did some tests on different architectures, but my major interest is in the dual core cortex a9

--
[]s Rafael.
Linux User #56352

Hector Oron

Oct 29, 2010, 5:36:13 AM10/29/10
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

2010/10/28 Rafael Aroca <rafae...@ieee.org>:

> I also did some tests on different architectures, but my major interest is
> in the dual core cortex a9

I am as well interested on testing and benchmarking cortex a8 versus
cortex a9 running different ABI for the userland (Debian armel port
-soft-float-, Ubuntu armel port -softfp- and Debian-ports armhf port
-hard-float-).

Would you mind to share the testing procedure you are following and results?

Best regards,
-- Hector Oron

Ashwin

Oct 29, 2010, 6:30:53 AM10/29/10
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I also just got a BB-xM and planning to order a pandaboard too after a
month or so.
I am interested in understanding ARM Cortex features as mentioned on
http://elinux.org/BeagleBoard#Cortex_A8_ARM_features.
I am also interested in testing and benchmarking cortex a8 and cortex a9.
So please share the testing procedure and results.

Regards,
Ashwin

Hector Oron

Oct 29, 2010, 8:40:40 AM10/29/10
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

2010/10/29 Ashwin <ashwin...@gmail.com>:

> So please share the testing procedure and results.

I guess a good starting/meeting point could be:
** http://elinux.org/Benchmark_Programs

Best regards

Bill Fleming

Dec 18, 2010, 4:57:22 PM12/18/10
to pandaboard
So now that I have my pandaboard we can start some of these tests next
week after I get it set up.
If you guys send me some sample Pthread/OpenMP programs I can compile
them on the Pandaboard and post the CLI output.

I need to know how to configure the system to compile with OpenMP and
Pthreads in Ubuntu though. Do I need to set any special environment
variables?
Or do I just type something like "apt-get install OpenMP" then have
the header file include in the program and it will compile?
The linux machine we used in class for our parallel homework was
already set up with this stuff so I haven't tried setting it up yet.
The super computer we used had the intel compiler for itanium and some
special environment variables that were needed for the compiler to
work. (one day they disappeared and it broke, lol)

I also can borrow my GF's Atom netbook and run the same programs on it
for comparison.
I have some matrix multiplication software to test, for starters.

Bill

On Oct 29, 6:40 am, Hector Oron <hector.o...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,

Bill Fleming

Dec 23, 2010, 12:41:23 PM12/23/10
to pandaboard
My panda board is setup now and I figured out how to compile OpenMP
stuff on it. (add the #include <omp.h> and add -fopenmp to the command
line when compiling, which is different than Intel's compiler)
So if you guys email me some software (with time counters of course) I
can compile and run it, and post the results up.
I have a matrix matrix multiplication application and I will get some
numbers on my panda, and on a wolfdale machine I have running Ubuntu.
I will also try down-clocking the wolfdale to 1 GHz to get a better
clock for clock comparison.

Later I could try setting up remote access but I'm not sure exactly
how to go about it.
I assume I would just forward a SSH port on my router and give yall a
login or something.
I will have some performance numbers later.

Bill

Both my panda and the wolfdale machine have ubuntu 10.10.

Rafael Aroca

Dec 23, 2010, 2:01:15 PM12/23/10
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bill, great!

With the help of Raul Porcel (armin) I managed to do some benchmarks on the PandaBoard. I plotted some graphs and described them here:

http://rafaelaroca.wordpress.com/2010/12/10/arm-multi-core/

Now, my problem was that i did not cross-compile - I compiled the programs on the host machine (pandaboard), and gcc did not generate working OpenMP binary.

Anyway, my tests were pthreads based.

About OpenMP, could you please check if your OpenMP is working well?

OpenMP is terribly simple. Just add a #pragma parallel for before a for and OpenMP does the loop interactions in parallel

This is a vector multiplication example in parallel:

  #pragma omp for schedule (static, 2)
for (i=0; i<size; i++)
r[i] = a[i]*b[i];

If this works for you, we can do other tests. If you wish, I'll send you my complete examples that i used to generate the graphs i mentioned (sorry, i'm in a hurry now).

Rafael

Bill Fleming

Dec 24, 2010, 12:04:12 AM12/24/10
to pandaboard
It appears to work just fine. I just completed a graduade parallel
programming class at UAH so I already know how to use Pthreads,
OpenMP, and MPI. We used the Altix Alabama super computer which has
Itanium CPUs and the Intel compiler on linux. I was able to compile
one of my homework assignments I did once I figured out how to add "-
fopenmp" to the g++ command line.

When I get home I'll run more tests but I actually saw some super
linear speedup with the matrix multiplication. A9's cache must be
optimixed for sharing data between cpus.

On Dec 23, 1:01 pm, Rafael Aroca <rafaelar...@ieee.org> wrote:
> bgvhHi Bill, great!
>
> With the help of Raul Porcel (armin) I managed to do some benchmarks on the
> PandaBoard. I plotted some graphs and described them here:
>
> http://rafaelaroca.wordpress.com/2010/12/10/arm-multi-core/
>
> Now, my problem was that i did not cross-compile - I compiled the programs
> on the host machine (pandaboard), and gcc did not generate working OpenMP
> binary.
>
> Anyway, my tests were pthreads based.
>
> About OpenMP, could you please check if your OpenMP is working well?
>
> OpenMP is terribly simple. Just add a #pragma parallel for before a for and
> OpenMP does the loop interactions in parallel
>
> This is a vector multiplication example in parallel:
>
>   #pragma omp for schedule (static, 2)
>
>   for (i=0; i<size; i++)
>       r[i] = a[i]*b[i];
>
> If this works for you, we can do other tests. If you wish, I'll send you my
> complete examples that i used to generate the graphs i mentioned (sorry, i'm
> in a hurry now).
>
> Rafael

alxx

Dec 18, 2010, 8:55:36 PM12/18/10
to pandaboard

Few examples here https://computing.llnl.gov/tutorials/pthreads/
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-pthred.html
they run on gumstix overo

how to compile
gcc -o threads threads.c -pthread
g++ -o thread thread.cpp -pthread

might need -lm to include the maths library as well

Pthreads library should be installed by default (at least they are by
angstrom).
I don't use ubuntu (angstrom on omap3, fedora on desktop and still
waiting on my pandaboard)

Openmp I'm not so sure on, haven't used it yet on omap.

compiler flag should be -fopenmp

gcc -fopenmp -o testomp testomp.c

examples here
https://computing.llnl.gov/tutorials/openMP/exercise.html

Alex

Tejashree Bhosale

Oct 16, 2019, 1:01:36 PM10/16/19
to pandaboard
Hi Bill,

Could you please help me with the steps for installation to use OpenMP on Pandaboard?
I want to parallelize a C++ code using OpenCV on Pandaboard.

Tejashree Bhosale

Oct 16, 2019, 1:05:42 PM10/16/19
to pandaboard
Hi Bill,
I would like to know what solution you got for this question.

Best Regards,
Tejashree

Clockwerx

Oct 16, 2019, 2:53:54 PM10/16/19
to pandaboard
It appears you are replying to a post from 9 years ago. I doubt you will get a response. But if you are using a modern OS from
you can do an apt-get install as the OP suggested much as you would on any other Ubuntu or Debian platform...

Tejashree Bhosale

Oct 16, 2019, 4:18:44 PM10/16/19
to pandaboard
Thank you for your response. I was skeptical about getting a response too, but still gave it a try.
Have you worked with Pandaboard?
Many links to their .org site seemed obsolete, hence I wanted to confirm before finalizing hardware platform.

Regards,
Tejashree

Clockwerx

Oct 16, 2019, 4:26:04 PM10/16/19
to pandaboard
You can still get the old Pandaboard site at the Wayback Machine...

Robert Nelson

Oct 16, 2019, 5:22:15 PM10/16/19
to pandaboard, tejashr...@gmail.com
On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 3:18 PM Tejashree Bhosale
<tejashr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you for your response. I was skeptical about getting a response too, but still gave it a try.
> Have you worked with Pandaboard?
> Many links to their .org site seemed obsolete, hence I wanted to confirm before finalizing hardware platform.

You need to be careful with this platform, anything related to the
gpu/etc was supported by TI/Canonical/Ubuntu with their official
images (at the time).. Which is now way EOL and there is really no one
left from that era/contract/etc.. So if the ancient image works for
you, it'll work.. But anything beyond is mainline only.. So here be
dragons...

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson