JTAG Emulator for both Pandaboard ES and Beaglebone Black

Mahdi

Jan 11, 2016, 7:49:15 AM1/11/16
to pandaboard
Hi,

I'm a bit confused on JTAG headers, so your help is greatly appreciated, I've got a beaglebone black and I will buy a pandaboard ES as soon as I find what is the best device to be used for JTAG debugging for both boards.
I need to develop a small research based kernel & I have found  Olimex TMS320-XDS100-V3 ,  TMDSEMU100v2U-14T and TMDSEMU100V2U-20T.
As far as I have understood, TMDSEMU100v2U-14T is the recommended version for Pandaboard-ES due it has 14 pin TI or cTI header (?) and TMDSEMU100V2U-20T is suitable for Beaglebone Black due it can have a 20 pin header TI after manually soldering.

The olimex TMS320-XDS100-V3 can be used for both boards but I'm not sure in this and I want to buy one device instead of buying two devices if it's possible.

Thanks for your considerations!

Mahdi

modyrater

Jan 11, 2016, 1:27:39 PM1/11/16
to panda...@googlegroups.com

I'm not current on the latest black but will share what I know.  The white had a built-in jtag on the board no connector required it access was by plugging USB cable into and CCS recognized it. The first black required a Soldering of a TI  ARM connection onto the board  and the XDS100 plugs into that header .I'm guessing the versions of the V2 are for different ARM jtag header either 20 pin or 14 pin check what's on the black you have its unpopulated.  Ask Gerald in the beagle bone forum about connector.  On the Panda TI had internal wiki on how to debug uboot and a Linux kernel with lauterback I don't recall many using this for the kernel it was nice for uboot. You don't mention how you plan on using your jtag what code ie kernel or uboot  your focused on  wether you plan on using open source tools.  Good luck.  I find these tools invaluable for bare bone or using RTOS V2 was very inexpensive.  I'd start with the TI development wiki for Sitara  for Linux  EZSDK it has a nice tutorial for bare bone and Linux but last time I played with this was 3 years ago and the kit used a a version of Linux that might not match your tools. Loading symbols and pointing to source codes are the keys. Other challah gesture are gel scripts to configure the SOC. I swear by jtag for debug but I don't do Linux kernel too much overhead

Tom Mitchell

Jan 13, 2016, 11:18:10 PM1/13/16
to panda...@googlegroups.com
See also http://sysprogs.com/VisualKernel/tutorials/raspberry/jtagsetup/

You can obtain multiple R-Pi boards for the same price of a pandaboard.

Do grab the uboot code and add to it or have it launch your kernel.
One important point is how quickly you can edit, compile, load your
test code.   The uSD card interfaced boards seem more reliable than
my pandaboard SD card connector.

By looking at the published data of all three you should
discover how to get there from where ever you start.

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l