Unable to open PCM device 0 cannot set hw params: Invalid argument

Sreedhar chowdary

Jan 5, 2012, 9:01:31 AM1/5/12
to pandaboard
Hi,
We are currently trying to get audio working on Pandabaord. We were
successful in getting Kernel 3.0 + GB (audio working) When the same
support to play back a audio wav file with kernel 3.0.8 + ICS (android
4.0) it is not able to play the file shell@android:/ $ tinyplay
guitarup_full.wav Unable to open PCM device 0 (cannot set hw params:
Invalid argument)
Please let me know if anyone has faced the same issue and what could
be the problem.

Himanshu

Jan 16, 2012, 7:25:47 AM1/16/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Sreedhar chowdary <sreedhar.donelli@...> writes:

> Hi,
> We are currently trying to get audio working on Pandabaord. We were
> successful in getting Kernel 3.0 + GB (audio working) When the same
> support to play back a audio wav file with kernel 3.0.8 + ICS (android

> 4.0) it is not able to play the file shell <at> android:/ $ tinyplay

> guitarup_full.wav Unable to open PCM device 0 (cannot set hw params:
> Invalid argument)
> Please let me know if anyone has faced the same issue and what could
> be the problem.

Hi Sreedhar

i am facing the similar problem while trying audio playback using tinyalsa over
ICS, did u get hold of it now?

Himanshu

ravikumar b

Jan 18, 2012, 6:24:58 AM1/18/12
to pandaboard
hi,
let me know display is working fine with kernel 3.0 + GB.

On Jan 5, 7:01 pm, Sreedhar chowdary <sreedhar.done...@gmail.com>

王宝云

Jan 19, 2012, 9:42:30 AM1/19/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
you need to set the audio parameter using tinymix before playing wav file

Narendra Reddy

Jan 19, 2012, 11:38:41 PM1/19/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hi ,
Can you please suggest the what are the audio parameter using tinymix?
Anticipating your reply soon,

Thanks & Regards,
Narendra

chitranjan soni

Dec 18, 2017, 7:39:59 AM12/18/17
to pandaboard
hi....I have struck with the same issue will you please help me out if you have solved it.I am very new to this field.

Sebastien Guiriec

Dec 19, 2017, 3:59:33 PM12/19/17
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Can you give more reference on the kernel you are using (git tree and commit)?

You need to take care that between Android GB to ICS you have a switch
from ALSA to tinyalsa. So you need to match with HW configuration. So
I guess in your case you have a kernel with OMAP4 ABE (Audio Back End)
driver. In such case you need to ensure that you are opening the
device at 48kHz and periode size needs to be multiple of 24 bytes.

For info on audio cluster refer to: http://omappedia.org/wiki/Audio_Drive_Arch

Please note that Audio driver for ABE never goes upstream this is why
it is important to get the reference of your kernel tree in order to
support you.

May be you can try to follow the next link (not sure it is still
supportted actively):

http://omappedia.org/wiki/4AI.1.4_OMAP4_Icecream_Sandwich_Panda_Notes

Best regards and good luck,

Sebastien