DX-5000

Ken

May 11, 2012, 11:09:40 AM5/11/12
to Panasonic Bicycles
I just bought the DX-5000 advertised on e-bay. Couldn't help myself.
Should get it sometime next week. I looked pretty closely at the Pro
Touring frame and fork also on ebay as I'm sure some of you did. I was
concerned about the condition of the bottom bracket, however, and used
what little self control I have.

Anyway, I need some advice. I am almost 72 and have noodle legs. Still
enjoy riding but need some help in the gear department, especially in
the hilly N. Georgia area. The DX-5000 has Shimano 600 derallieurs.
The S.I.S. RD will probably handle a 28 tooth sprocket but I might
need a 32 or 34 to navigate the steeper hills. Does anyone know of a
RD that might not look too out of place on the DX-5000 but can handle
a bigger sprocket and still utilize the S.I.S. of the shifter?

My other Panasonic is an "88 PT-3500. Just about all the components on
it are changed. I would prefer to keep the DX-5000 in a more stock
condition.

One more question. Will the DX-5000 take 28mm tires?

Ken Homer
North Georgia