Bear Country

Velo Vagabond

Jul 6, 2015, 6:59:25 PM7/6/15
to panam-...@googlegroups.com
Greetings all. Having finished the SF - Ushuaia PanAm ride last year, we are about to embark on the unridden PanAm section…..Alaska to SF. I've read the discussions here regarding food protection while camping and mostly the solutions are the typical tried and true approaches of eating and storing food suitable distances from campsites, hanging food and odorous items where possible and using bear canisters. Most recently I've learned that many outfitters, tour operators and bush pilots are using portable electric bear fences to protect planes, campsites and food caches. Is there any validity to this or is it a marketing ploy? Any one in the group have any experience with these things?

Thanks for y'all's thoughts

James and Margit

devin western

Jul 8, 2015, 6:47:09 PM7/8/15
to panam-...@googlegroups.com
Just make sure to hang and store all food away from camp, including cooking.

Matthew Hopkins

Jul 8, 2015, 8:34:01 PM7/8/15
to panam-...@googlegroups.com
Hello.
I cycled through Alaska and Northern Canada last year (and am still cycling) and between Deadhorse and Calgary I saw in total 36 bears.
Mostly on the Cassiar highway. Both blacks and grizzlys. Some with cubs and had ZERO problems with any of them.
I only carried a can of bear spray and not other gimmicky things.
I ate and cooked normal foods, but away from and downwind my camp area. And correctly disposed of waste and rubbish.
I stored my food either in a tree at least 3m up or in Bear proof boxes at camp grounds.
Another alternative was at the BACK of the bear proof waste bins. Where there is often a little space if the bin is not too full.
Fine for overnight use and the cleaners will not likely throw out the bag if they collect in the mean time.
My food and toiletries was stored in a waterproof Ortlieb roll top bag, It certainly was not bear or squirrel proof but I had no problems.
I considered buying a bear can, but the size, price and practicality of attaching it to my bike ruled it out finally.
Bears don't like to interact with Humans and often turn and run before you even know they are there.
I met a field biologist en route and she told me to make noise. This will usually drive them away.
I used a loud bicycle bell at times when felt nervous, to announce my presence.
But talking,  a radio or singing to your self is just as effective.
This worked on several occasions particularly after spotting a mother with 3 cubs trying to cross the road in front of me.
She heard the bell, hesitated then walked her young family into the woods.
I waited a few minutes, still ringing the bell before cautiously continuing my journey.

I mostly camped at official sites and there is often up to date information about bear sightings.
Coming from England, I was initially intimidated and afraid of sleeping in bear country, but use common sense and you should not have any problems.
After Bear no 10 or 20 I was actually quite excited to see a Bear and often stopped a distance a way to watch them before they spotted me and ran off.
I have never tried or seen a bear fence but I wonder A) how effective actually it is and B) is the extra weight, batteries cables etc. really worth it on a bike trip?

Use common sense, get up to date information and you will likely be fine.
And have your camera ready at all times. I only have pictures of 2 of the 36 I saw finally.

Safe travels!

Matthew

Margit Pirsch

Jul 8, 2015, 11:28:33 PM7/8/15
to panam-...@googlegroups.com
​Thank you, Matthew, this is really some useful information. I love the idea of coexisting, being cautious, but not paranoid. Using common sense makes sense to me...
I am really curious about the bear and would love to see them from a distance and with respect- your story makes me more confident!

Margit