Rest stop in Managua

Matthew Hopkins

Apr 15, 2015, 9:34:04 AM4/15/15
to panam-...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone have any contacts in Managua, Nicaragua. I apologise for the short notice but I am arriving tonight 15th April 2015. I have cycled directly from San Salvador and the road has been very tough because of the heat. I need a few days rest but cannot afford a hotel or hostel for too long. There is nobody registered on Warmshowers and of course I get zero response from Couchsurfing. If you are able to help I can be contacted on +505 7526 3978 directly. Again I apologise for the short notice. Thanks. Matthew.

Siska Kockelbergh

Apr 15, 2015, 6:07:51 PM4/15/15
to panam-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matthew,

You could try if someone from bicicletada Managua can help you out. See facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bicicletada-Managua/991855717507601?fref=ts

Good luck
siska

Matthew Hopkins

Apr 15, 2015, 7:00:52 PM4/15/15
to panam-...@googlegroups.com

Thanks. I'll give them a try.
Much appreciated.

Matthew Hopkins - Mobile

matt...@gmail.com
Blog: http://theroadoflittlemiracles.ghost.io
Whatsapp: +447428465382
Skype: matthewkh
Twitter: @matthewkh73

Jorge Biciviajero

Apr 16, 2015, 5:42:08 AM4/16/15
to panam-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matthew!
if you want to rest, probably Managua is not the best place, I would recommend you Masaya or Granada, they are much more quiet et interesting.

The other thing I would like to tell you (for de good of all people that travels by bike) is that WARMSHOWERS is not a way to safe money, but to exchange experiences, to invite your host to a diner traditional of your country or to invite him to the cinema or theatre.... If not is better to spend the 5-6 US$ of an young hostel that if you come from the US or Europe is nothing....  unless you're in competition with someone to see who spends less de money..... (I think there are people that see the bike-travel like that...).

Sorry Matthew for telling all that only to you, there are many other people that try to safe money (instead of spend their money) in the very poors countries of America Latina....
The most of the times is not necessary to be so stingy... is one of the reasons why I accept the less on less petitions to host people from Warmshower....

Good Luck!
Jorge

Matthew Hopkins

Apr 16, 2015, 9:11:28 AM4/16/15
to panam-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jorge,
Thanks for your comments.
I managed to find a place in Managua for a couple of nights.
I am not planning on being a tourist here, as you point out, there are nicer places to spend my time in that sense and in fact I will be travelling to Granada next before heading to Costa Rica and south to Patagonia.

I do agree with your comment about using the hospitality networks as a contact and experience.
And I fully support that.
Like many before me, and will pass after me, I am cycling from Prudhoe Bay, Alaska, to (I hope) Ushuaia, Tierra del Fuego.
A very long trip as you are no doubt aware. I have travelled 25,000 kms so far.
I have to use every possibility to try to save my limited budget, for as long as possible.
Whether that be wild camping in Canada, staying in Fire stations in the USA, Red cross offices in Mexico.
Personal invitations to peoples homes, Asking at farms or restaurants. Or any other suitably safe options that I may encounter along the way.

I am not the kind of traveller who feels comfortable sleeping under a bush or sneaking illegally onto someone's property to sleep or use their resources for free. (The two cyclists I met so far who did do this, sadly have both been robbed)
Safety is my number one priority ALWAYS. And I will never stay in a place which I feel may compromise my security for an hour, let alone a night or several days rest.
For this, generally a hostel or hotel is an almost sure fire, but expensive bet.
I have stayed in more hotels and hostels along my journey so far than any other option.
And this has been the biggest expense, apart from food of my journey so far.
And they are not cheap!

You comment that "If not is better to spend the 5-6 US$ of an young hostel that if you come from the US or Europe is nothing"
To me it is. It is a lot and everything.
I am not wealthy.
I wish I was, like most.
Not everyone is a credit card tourist or has an unlimited funds.
I have been working hard and saving for several years.
Sold virtually ALL my personal possessions to fund this adventure and when I return I will be financially VERY poor but rich in spirit and experience.
This was my choice and I will never regret it.
While I have sufficient budget to last my journey. I don't want to spend it all on hotels. Even if it does help the local economy.
I would much prefer interaction with other people via Warmshowers, Couchsurfing, or any other social contact.
If you read my profiles, I am not just looking for a free bed, shower and food. I do offer to assist in any way required to contribute to the household.
I have moved Gravel, I have repaired computers, I have cooked for two and for a family of six. I have helped in a study of Hummingbirds and walked dogs!
I am professional bicycle mechanic. Therefore repaired or looked over many of my hosts bicycles, and many other odd tasks along the way.
I have even voluntarily paid some hosts, when I can see it was appropriate.
My feedback is all positive and I have shared some fantastic experiences with my hosts. I hope this will continue.
I am tremendously grateful for the "free beds" but more grateful for the company it brings.
The friendships and companionships I have made in the past 11 months of travelling are far more rewarding.
As many do, I will also be offering my own home for hospitality when I have finished my journey.

Hotels and hostels are anonymous. I don't remember most of them.
Personally, I avoid hostels. Specifically dorm rooms. They are my last resort.
I appreciate they are the cheapest option, but I have had too many bad experiences over the past 20 years of travelling and touring. Everything from disrespectful people coming in late and making excessive noise, tampering with my bike,  through to theft of my personal things.
Backpackers have a different ethos of travelling, which is not always compatible with cycle touring.
Not everyone is bad. I have met some great people here too. But my choice is my own.
I always choose a private room, Small dorm or a hotel room if it is cheap enough.
I have spent anywhere between $5 and $50 so far in Central America alone. More in the USA.
Often, at the end of a days ride, you don't have a choice of hotel.
In a small desert town there is one option with hotels. And it is either very cheap or not at all.
But safety first.

My reason for posting this thread is not only to save money.
It is, that is a fact. But to try to contact other cyclist in this (and other) towns.
Even though there are not many people registered on Warmshowers in many parts of central America, there are a lot of cyclists and some of those have possibly toured their region, their country or even the world.
It is these people I am trying to contact, as they will likely sympathise with a long distance cyclists needs.
I have no problem paying if necessary, but I gain far more from the contact and resources of 1 hour with a fellow cyclist or traveller than I ever would from a night in a hotel.

If you wish to follow my blog, you can find it at http://theroadoflittlemiracles.ghost.io or if you search for "the road of little miracles" on Facebook, you will get more frequent updates.

With best wishes and safe travelling.

Matthew Hopkins.

Matthew K. Hopkins - main

http://theroadoflittlemiracles.ghost.io

Whatsapp: +447428465382
Guatemala only: +50230130929
Twitter: @matthewkh73
Skype: matthewkh

Dani Ku

May 5, 2015, 9:59:28 AM5/5/15
to panam-...@googlegroups.com
Hi to everybody!!
Well Matthew, I think Jorge is not pointing you on his message, it's more a general one maybe because he met some travellers like this.
I mean.. everyone can feel free to live their trip how they want, but particularly, I met a lot of travellers (I've been living for 3 months in a "Casa Ciclista) and maybe sometimes we are thinking that we interact but I heard a lot of warmshowers... and in some cases people arrives and it's more concerned about getting wifi, check and this kind of things and they really leave very fast without spend really time listening, touching, eating, and feeling what the local are offering, telling.
Sometimes language it's a handicap, but I'm not talking about this, it's about attitude.
I mean, that everybody travel however they want. I'm not talking about me, I'm not an example. But always we can learn something until from a forum message. Don't say no when a local/CS/WS invite you to make something. These people are our real destination. I think, modestly.

Matthew (probably) you remember me from Casa Ciclista Guadalajara. Be safe man, and keep enjoying!
Hugs for everyone!!! from Chetumal (México). (sorry for my english)
Dani, cycling the world.

pablo mercker sague

May 6, 2015, 11:19:11 AM5/6/15
to panam-...@googlegroups.com
 absolutely dani, I totally agree with you and jorge!
we all have different styles of travelling but we should always practise modesty and try to maintain a humble attitude. latin america's backland and village people are a great trainingcamp for that! we have to be respecful and thankful for all the help we recieve on our way. riding on a tight time schedule and prioritizing our blog updates will not help in that sense...

abrazos para todos
desde el asentamento de ciclovida en ceara, brasil

check out this documentary obout ciclovida: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqaBg-glBUQ