Parish eBulletin - Volume 13, No. 8, February 21, 2020

Chris Lundin

Feb 21, 2020, 11:58:27 AM2/21/20
to 'bob napaa' via PaloAltoCatholic-EBulletin

St. Thomas Aquinas Parish
The Catholic Community of Palo Alto, California

St. Thomas Aquinas parish is a Roman Catholic community of disciples
working together for the glory of God and our spiritual growth in Jesus, the Christ.
With the guidance of the Holy Spirit, we live and share the Gospel
through worship, education and service.

Parish eBulletin - Volume 13, No. 8 - February 21, 2020

Wonderful New Parishioner-Led Volunteer Activity

Table of Contents:
1. Notes From The Pastor
2. Cycles
3. THIS Saturday, February 22: Next Session Pastoral Garden Cleanup
4. Human Concerns: THIS Saturday, February 22: Next Human Concerns Committee Meeting
5. THIS Saturday, February 22:  The 22nd Annual Crab Dinner Dance
6. THIS Weekend: 2nd Collection For St. Vincent de Paul
7. THIS Sunday, February 23: Prepare OLR Church for Lent
8. Parents Of Young Kids?
9. Wanted: Artists
10. THIS Sunday, February 23: STA High School Youth Ministry: Bowling!
11. Tuesday. February 25:  Spirituality Tuesday Assembly: “The Lenten Season”
12. Wednesday, February 26: Ash Wednesday Mass and Communion Service Schedule
13. Confirmation Class: SAVE March 14
14. Volunteer Opportunity: New Parishioner-Led Project: Take Them A Meal
15. Volunteer Opportunity: Pastoral Home Ministry
16. Volunteer Opportunity: Join The SAG Donuteers
17. Weekly Stewardship Report: Thank You For Sharing God’s Gifts!
18. Annual Diocesan Appeal 2020
19.  Want To Become A Catholic?
20. Wednesday, March 11: Peaceful Presence
21. Saturday, March 14: Annual Parish St. Patrick’s Day Dinner/Celebration
22. Human Concerns: March 14-15 Parish Collection for Seton School 2nd Grade Summer Reading Growth

Outside The Parish:

23. Pilgrimage Opportunities in 2020-2021
24. Presider Schedules for the Seventh Sunday in Ordinary Time,  And Sunday Mass Readings

Bonus Information:   Cartoon
—————————————————————————————————————————

1. Notes From The Pastor

THANK YOU! -

Dear all, I wanted to thank you for all the beautiful Christmas and New Years cards I got. I had them displayed in my office and also others in my room. I got over 100 and it made it difficult to individually reply to all. I loved them.

Thank you for so many generous end of the year donations and other gifts during the year 2019. Your generosity and sharing of your treasure with the parish is greatly appreciated and I promise it it will used responsibly.

Thank you to so many of you who volunteer making possible so many good things to happen in the parish. Leading faith formation classes, supporting the parish with some planning and development, gardening, counting our collections. I would like to mention all, but there are so many things going on thanks to your generosity. Gracias!

Nothing that you do goes unnoticed. I thank you. You’ll be blessed!

PARISH TOWN HALL - Please start planning to attend to our upcoming Parish Town Hall that will be scheduled for the end of March. I’m my almost 2 years as Pastor those who work closely with me already know that I like to do things collaboratively and engage everyone’s participation. I’m receptive to feedback, ideas, and initiatives. The parish will go through major changes starting the new fiscal year and we have to work on this together. I want to call all those who are already involved. I would also like to see new faces.

CELEBRATION OF LIFE - Last year we celebrated Spring with delicious international food and some fun. In order to separate it a little bit from Saint Pats, we will celebrate Spring and life together after the joyful Resurrection of Jesus Christ. The format will be similar to last year but improved! Tentative date, the Sunday after Easter, April 19.  This will be determined and confirmed soon. Please plan to attend and celebrate all together!

Fr. Stasys, Pastor

2. Cycles

You all well know that life has cycles and changes constantly. Since I became pastor I had anticipated to my pastoral and financial counsels that the parish was going to naturally face changes. And this is happening. Naturally.

We have 2 full time staff that will retire by the end of the fiscal year after long, committed and fruitful careers. Susan Olsen and Nora Lundin are getting ready to retire. A third full time staff chose to relo- cate and move to Arizona. Maria de Jesus will be with us until the beginning of June.

I have already said this to each of them. I’m extremely grateful for the blessing of having worked with them and I wish them the best in their new adventures.

Finally, after so many years of service, Chris Lundin will retire from the music ministry. He will be incredibly missed. (And other parish ministries: eBulletin, PSC chair, Liturgy and other board chairs. CML)

I invite you to approach them to get answers to any potential questions or doubts if you were having any.

I did not ask any of them to leave. While I do not celebrate their departure, I embrace these changes and end of a cycle as an opportunity to promote others in our community that may want to share their gifts with everyone.

We will start preparing for what must be a great farewell party for these four amazing individuals.

Fr. Stasys, Pastor

3. THIS Saturday, February 22: Next Session Pastoral Garden Cleanup

Our next work day is planned for the 4th Saturday in February, the 22nd, from 9 to 11:00am (or however much time you can spare).  We’re skipped December due to the holidays and January 2020 due to staffing.

Thanks to those who came on Saturday, November 23.  Much good work was done.

Please join us for donuts and goodies and whatever good work you will do. This is just behind the Pastoral Center at 3290 Middlefield Road. Easy parking; easy working.

4. Human Concerns: THIS Saturday, February 22: Next Human Concerns Committee Meeting

We will again gather at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, February 22 in the OLR Hall to work on various human concerns initiatives.  The January 25 was canceled to allow HCC members of attend Anne Ackerman’s funeral Mass. All are welcome.

5. THIS Saturday, February 22:  The 22nd Annual Crab Dinner Dance

Tickets after last weekend may be purchased from Jerry or Charles of the Knights of Columbus, contact information below

The KofC Palo Alto Council of STA Parish is asking parishioners for donations of new or gently used items or services (carwashing,wine tasting party, babysitting
hours, progressive dinner,event tickets, etc) for the silent auction table at the Feb 22nd, 2020 Crab Dinner Dance.

Please call Jerry Lucha  (650)424-9660 or Charles Guenzer (650)387-4268 to coordinate drop off of your donations.

6. THIS Weekend: 2nd Collection For St. Vincent de Paul

Please be generous in the 2nd collection this Sunday, Feb. 22 and 23 for our parish St. Vincent de Paul.

The goal of the Society of St. Vincent de Paul is to offer tangible assistance to those in need on a person-to-person basis. A key strength is in the personalized delivery of help. This aid may take the form of intervention, consultation or often through direct dollar or in-kind service. Your generosity in this Sunday’s 2nd collection will assist our own local parish conference of St. Vincent de Paul to help our neighbors in need.

St. Vincent de Paul is the parish outreach for necessities for local families: food, emergency rents utilities, & medicine. Thank you so much for your generous donations. Among the people you are helping with your generous donations are a mother with 4 children and 2 single women with new jobs and working very hard to keep up rent and utility payments during the transition. Thank you for your help. Please come join in our work. Contact Anne Fillin (gracefu...@gmail.com) with interest.

7. THIS Sunday, February 23: Prepare OLR Church for Lent

Wednesday,  February 26 is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent. We shall gather after the 10:30 a.m. OLR Mass on
Sunday, February 23 to prepare the church for Lent. Please join us.

8. Parents Of Young Kids?

Do you have a “small person” living in your household?  Are you interested in sharing ideas with other new parents?

If so, please respond. Another eBulletin reader is interested in formed a New Parents Group if there is sufficient interest.

9. Wanted: Artists

"Are you an artist?  If you would like to hang your work for a month in the St. Albert the Great Hospitality Center, please contact Ted Baer at tab...@sbcglobal.net.

10. THIS Sunday, February 23: STA High School Youth Ministry: Bowling!

This Sunday, February 23, we will be going to ‘Homestead Bowl’ in Cupertino from 4:00-6:00PM. All Middle and High School teens are welcome!

If you need a ride, a carpool will leave from OLR at 3:30PM and return at 6:30PM. Light snacks will be provided, but please bring $15 for the bowling/shoe fee. RSVP by Thursday February 20th to pierina....@dsj.org

11. Tuesday. February 25:  Spirituality Tuesday Assembly: “The Lenten Season”

with our presenter Fr. Maurice Igboerika, Parochial Vicar.

In the next few days, many Catholics will set Lenten goals and resolutions, things to ‘give up’ or extra practices to take on. But what are we preparing for, and why? 7:00 - 8:30

pm at the Hospitality Center at St. Albert the Great Church.

12. Wednesday, February 26: Ash Wednesday Mass and Communion Service Schedule

7:15 am – St. Thomas Aquinas, 751 Waverley St.

8:30 am – Our Lady of the Rosary, 3233 Cowper St.

9:00 am – St. Albert the Great, 1095 Channing Ave (St. Elizabeth Seton School Mass - all are welcome

12:15 pm – St. Thomas Aquinas (Communion Service + Ashes) 6:00 pm – St. Thomas Aquinas (TMC)

7:00 pm – St. Albert the Great (English)

7:30 pm – Our Lady of the Rosary (Spanish)

8:00 pm – St. Thomas Aquinas (Latin/Gregorian)

13. Confirmation Class: SAVE March 14

SAVE The DATE: Inviting ALL 2020 Confirmation Candidates to an Inspiring And Meaningful 1/2 day Retreat:  Confirmation: It's Just the Beginning" on Saturday, March 14th, 8:30AM-1:30PM at the Thomas House (next door to St. Thomas Aquinas Church.)

Contact Carmel Caligaris questions at ccali...@setonpaloalto.org

14. Volunteer Opportunity: New Parishioner-Led Project: Take Them A Meal

Please join a new parishioner lead project, which will provide Sunday dinner to our priests. Named, Take Our Priests A Meal, the meal project is an outreach program that lets the parish priests know they are appreciated. To participate, parishioners cook and deliver a meal on the busiest day of the week for the priests, Sunday. If you chose to join, you will pick a date that is convenient for your schedule and prepare a meal for three; Fr. Stasys, Fr. Sev, and Fr. Maurice. There are no food allergies, although dietary stipulations include low salt and mild to medium spice. Also, if beef is served, please include an alternative dish such as chicken, pork, or seafood for one.

Delivery is set on Sunday between 3:00 PM and 5:00 PM to the Saint Albert the Great rectory. Located in the rectory carport is a blue Igloo cooler where prepared food will be placed inside. Our priests are not always home for dinner at 5 PM, but they are happy to reheat the meal when arriving back in the evening.

If you have further questions or you are ready to sign-up, please reach out to Julie Sanford at julsan@umich. edu or by phone, 408-829-8717. For Spanish speakers, please contact Raquel Fleischmann at rqbe...@gmail.com or by telephone @ 650-739-5830

15. Volunteer Opportunity: Pastoral Home Ministry

I am looking for more volunteers to assist in our Pastoral Home Ministry. If you are interested in bringing Communion to those homebound or in assisted living faculties and nursing homes, contact me at fon...@hotmail.com.

Mary Fong, Pastoral Home Ministry

16. Volunteer Opportunity: Join The SAG Donuteers

Happy New Year!  The current donut schedule goes through the end of January and we just lost a long time volunteer, so we really need new volunteers.  We have five, but ideally would have eight or nine.  we really are in desperate need of a few families to help out.  If we don't get more families, we might need to switch to offering donuts just twice a month.

Saint Albert the Great Church is looking for volunteers to help with donuts after the 9am Sunday mass.  Commitment is 6-8 Sundays a year. Responsibilities include:

1) purchasing donuts, milk, orange juice and bringing these to the hospitality center
2) preparing coffee
3) supervising donut and coffee gathering after 9 am mass
4) light clean up

For more information (or to volunteer): contact Brigid Farrell at Farrell...@hotmail.com

17. Weekly Stewardship Report: Thank You For Sharing God’s Gifts!

Our Weekly Offering:
   February 16 actual: Delayed by Presidents’ Day Holiday
           Weekly Goal: $12,000

18. Annual Diocesan Appeal 2020

ADA - Our Annual Diocesan Appeal began last weekend. Fr. Stasys hopes that each family discern what kind of a pledge they can offer. Our parish goal is $144, 750. This is doable with all parishioners pledging according to their means. Thank you for sharing God's gifts!

19.  Want To Become A Catholic?

Are you an adult who has been Baptized and received Eucharist but missed the Sacrament of Confirmation? WE WANT YOU!! NOW IS THE TIME!!

It’s time to step forward and complete your initiation into the Catholic Church. We will begin a series of preparation sessions for Confirmation for adults (post-high school and up) on Saturday, March 7 from 10:00 a.m. to Noon in the Dermody Center. If you are interested in participating or have questions, please contact Susan in the Faith Formation Office or at susanle...@dsj.org. Hoping to see many people step forward to receive this important sacrament that seals our commitment to the Church, completes our Baptismal Grace, and strengthens us with the Holy Spirit.

20. Wednesday, March 11: Peaceful Presence

Peaceful Presence: sponsored by Multifaith Prayers for Peace & Justice (of which our parish is a member)
Wednesday, March 11, 7-7:30pm
 First Congregational Church of Palo Alto, 1985 Louis Road, Palo Alto 94303

21. Saturday, March 14: Annual Parish St. Patrick’s Day Dinner/Celebration

Saturday, March 14th is the date of the Parish Annual St. Patrick's Day Dinner/Celebration! The party starts immediately after the 5 p.m. Mass at St. Albert the Great in the Elizabeth Seton School Gym.

Tickets are $15.00 for adults and $5.00 for children and go on sale next weekend (February 29-March 1). Buy your tickets early, as we do sell-out! For more information or to volunteer, call Helen Baumann (650) 327-9236, or Jerry Buday (215) 459-4387

22. Human Concerns: March 14-15 Parish Collection for Seton School 2nd Grade Summer Reading Growth

Our parish collection for new books for Seton 2nd grade students books will be held on the weekend of March 14-15.   Your generosity in past years has provided a package of 5-7 books for each 2nd grade student to read at homeduring the long summer weeks.  These emerging readers benefit from this educational opportunity inspiring them to read, learn and share these books with others while maintaining skills during their school break.

Last year, each 2nd grader received 4 favorite individual choices which was a real winner!  Recent feedback from those students was very positive!

Any cash donations may be given to a Human Concerns rep after each mass that weekend.  We are happy to shop for you!  You will see lots of smiling faces in photos of the handing-out event come June.

The Human Concerns Committee

Outside The Parish

23. Pilgrimage Opportunities in 2020-2021

Come join our former pastor, Fr. George Aranha, who will be hosting three upcoming Pilgrimages for 2020 and 2021 which will be of interest to you!

(1) Eleven-day Pilgrimage to the Marian Shrines & Barcelona including Fatima, Avila, Loyola and Lourdes - October 5-15, 2020

(2) Twelve-day Pilgrimage to the Holy Land & Rome including a Papal audience February 1-12, 2021

(3) Twelve-day Pilgrimage to Eastern Europe, including Krakow, Prague, Vienna and Budapest September 13-24, 2021

For general information and photographs, please visit https://nativitypilgrimage.com and info@nativity pilgrimage.com
For brochures and registration forms, please visit: www.SantaTeresaChurch.com/pilgrimage
For more information and to register, please contact: Jen Vazquez: J...@SantaTeresaChurch.com
or call Jen at: 1-408-629-7777

24. Presider Schedules for the Seventh Sunday in Ordinary Time,  And Sunday Mass Readings

Sunday Mass readings (English): http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/022320.cfm
Sunday Mass readings (Spanish): http://www.usccb.org/bible/lecturas/022320.cfm

5:00 p.m. Saturday: St. Albert the Great: Fr. Maurice (Music: Paul Prochaska)
7:30 a.m. St. Thomas Aquinas:  Fr. Sev (Music: sing along with recorded music)
8:45 a.m. St. Thomas Aquinas: Fr. TBA ( Music: singing with a live music group)
9:00 a.m. St. Albert the Great: Fr. Maurice (Music: Chris Lundin and SAG Choir)  - Family Mass
9:00 a.m. Our Lady of the Rosary: Fr. TBA (Music: José Perez and Hispanic Coro)
10:30 a.m. Our Lady of the Rosary: Fr. Maurice (Music: Chris Lundin and OLR Choir) - Family Mass
10:30 a.m. St. Thomas Aquinas: Fr. Sev (Music: Instrumental Ensemble and Women's Choir directed by Paul Prochaska)
Noon: St. Thomas Aquinas: Fr. TBD (Music: Gregorian chant and Renaissance motets with St. Ann Choir)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

The eBulletin is an initiative of our parish Communications Board, whose ministry it is to improve communications in our parish.

As of today, our parish eBulletin is sent to 425 parish families! (closed (bouncing) accounts recently removed). Pass the word! Who will be Family No. 426? If you are interested in receiving the eBulletin on a weekly basis, send an email request to clu...@stanford.edu.  You will be added to "PaloAltoCatho...@googlegroups.com" which is used to send out the eBulletin each Friday morning.

Always Useful Information:
Parish Online Giving: https://www.myowngiving.com/Default.aspx?cid=357
Parish Elder Care Resources: Call/leave a message at the Pastoral Home Ministry (494-2496, ext. 22) Call a priest at the rectory at 327-8222
St. Thomas Aquinas Parish Online Calendar*: http://www.mychurchevents.com/calendar/calendar.aspx?ci=L6M7J4G1J4H2O9L6I3
Steeple Talk Newsletter: http://www.paloaltocatholic.net/index.cfm?load=page&page=202 (see left sidebar)
Diocese of San Jose: http://www.dsj.org/
The Valley Catholic (Diocesan newspaper: http://tvc.dsj.org
Diocese of San Jose EthicsPoint Hotline (1-888-325-7863) - to report financial misconduct
Diocese of San Jose Office for the Protection of Children and Vulnerable Adults:  (408) 983-0113 or protection@dsj.org
Vatican YouTube site: http://www.youtube.com/vatican
H20 Catholic News Service: http://www.h2onews.org/english.html
U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops: http://www.usccb.org/
Daily Scripture reflections: http://www.usccb.org/bible/reflections/
Mass Times While Traveling: http://www.masstimes.org/txt/
Courage (same-sex attraction support group): 650-450-2286 or email grc...@sbcglobal.net
Salt + Light Blog: http://www.saltandlighttv.org/blog
St. Vincent de Paul Auto Donation Phone number: 1-800-322-8284
Trafficking: National Human Trafficking Resource Center at 888-373-7888 (toll-free hotline 24 hours/day)
Trafficking: California Coalition to Abolish Slavery & Trafficking at 888-KEY-2FREEDOM. Texts can also be sent to “BE FREE,” or 233733.  (toll-free hotline 24 hours/day)
Catholic Charities (Diocese of San Jose): Elder Care Line and Homecare: (408) 831-0441
Catholic Charities (Diocese of San Jose): Senior Activity Centers, in San Jose and Sunnyvale (408) 270-4900
Catholic Charities (Diocese of San Jose): Behavior Health Clinic in downtown San Jose (408)-899-7160
Each Thursday: Mothers’ Prayers After 8:30 A.M. OLR Daily MasMothers Prayers is our name.  Mothers Prayers was started in England in November 1995 and has spread rapidly throughout the world with contacts in over 100 countries and has the approval, support and blessing of Christian leaders of all denominations. There are now thousands of groups around the world and we are one of them.  In a 20 minute prayer, we bring all the pain and the worries we have for our children to the Lord and we trust in His words 'Ask and you will receive'. Through this promise, the Lord is just waiting to take away pain and to bless and heal us and our children when we come to Him in Faith.
It takes place every Thursday morning right after 8:30am Mass at Our Lady of the Rosary Church, in Kerry’s Corner, and you are very welcome to join us. Questions? Call Justine Franklin at (650) 387-1653 or justine_...@yahoo.com

* If you know of events or recurring meetings which should be added to the calendar, please send them to clu...@stanford.edu, and we will work to get the calendar updated.