Parish eBulletin - Volume 13, No. 4, January 25, 2019

Chris Lundin

Jan 25, 2019, 7:47:51 AM1/25/19
to paloaltocatho...@googlegroups.com

St. Thomas Aquinas Parish
The Catholic Community of Palo Alto, California

St. Thomas Aquinas parish is a Roman Catholic community of disciples
working together for the glory of God and our spiritual growth in Jesus, the Christ.
With the guidance of the Holy Spirit, we live and share the Gospel
through worship, education and service.

Parish eBulletin - Volume 13, No. 4 - January 25, 2019

Table of Contents:
1. TONIGHT: Friday, January 25: Community Sing-A-Long
2. TONIGHT: Human Concerns: Friday, January 25.  Help Provide Dinner To Women at Heart and Home Collaborative Shelter
3. TOMORROW: Saturday, January 26: Pastoral Garden Work Party
4. TOMORROW: Saturday, January 26: Mary Carlstead Memorial Mass
5. From the Pastor’s Desk
6. This Weekend: 2nd Collection For Our Parish St. Vincent de Paul Conference
7. This Weekend: Bethlehem Artworks Available
8. Sunday, January 27: OLR Site Committee meeting
9. Tuesday, January 29: Spirituality Tuesday Assembly: Fr. Anthony Hernandez "Signs and Symbols of Faith”
10. Vincent de Paul Thank You
11. Pastoral Home Ministry Available
12. St. Elizabeth Seton School News
13. Human Concerns: During February, HCC-Sponsored Soles4Souls Gently-Used Shoe Collection
14. Donations Solicited for 2019 Knights of Columbus Crab Dinner Dance
15. Green Corner: Several Climate Change News Items
16. Green Corner: Several More Global-Warming Indications
17. Green Corner: Green New Deal
18. Green Corner: Get'Em Before They’re Gone! (Federal Tax Credits For Bolts And Volts)
19. Continuing January 30: Wednesdays at St. Thomas Aquinas Church: Adoration and Benediction
20. Volunteer Opportunity: Ride To Sunday Mass Needed
21. Volunteer Opportunity: Altar Server Training
22. Volunteer Opportunity: Seton Library Cataloging Effort
23. Continuing Sunday, February 10: Introductions To Your Fellow Congregation Members After The 10:30 am OLR Mass
24. Weekly Stewardship Report: Thank You For Sharing God’s Gifts!
25. Each Thursday: Mothers’ Prayers After 8:30 A.M. OLR Daily Mass
26. The Joy of The Gospel (Incrementally)
27. Friday, February 1: The Goretti Group
28. Wednesday, February 6: Next S.O.U.P. Gathering
29. Monday, February 11: Peaceful Presence Multifaith Prayers for Peace
30. Saturday, February 16: Fred Dietrich Memorial Mass (Note New Time)
31. Saturday, February 16: Parish Blood Drive
32. Human Concerns: February 16-17: Have A Heart Weekend

Outside The Parish
33. Green Corner: Sunday, January 27: Zero Waste Palo Alto: Next Repair Cafe
34. Opinion: Gospel's Poor Widow Is Homeless In Vermont
35. Swiss Guards: New Black Helmets
36. Pope Francis Warns Against ‘Spirals of Hatred’ On Social Media
37. February 8-10: Men’s Discernment Weekend
38. Continuing Friday, February 15: Taize Prayer: Join Us Around The Cross in Fremont
39. Saturday, February 23: Wedding Anniversary Mass
40. Readings for the Third Sunday in Ordinary Time, and Presider Schedules

Bonus Content: PDFs!

—————————————————————————————————————————————————

1. TONIGHT: Friday, January 25: Community Sing-A-Long

All are invited to join in the community sing-a-long on Friday, January 25, at 7:00 p.m. in the Thomas House, (next door to St. Thomas Aquinas Church), led by Paul Prochaska on the guitar.

The words to familiar oldies are projected on a screen so there’s no struggling to keep up. Let your inner crooner or balladeer loose in a non-judgmental, accepting crowd. The singing goes on for about an hour, longer if the group wants to keep on going.  Paul prepares the projection of the lyrics ahead of time, but he’s very accomplished and can field some requests if they flow forth.

Paul Prochaska leads the music at the St. Thomas Aquinas Church 10:30 Mass.  He teaches guitar and ukele locally and loves to sing himself.  You’ll sing better with Paul than you ever dreamed you could!

2. TONIGHT: Human Concerns: Friday, January 25.  Help Provide Dinner To Women at Heart and Home Collaborative Shelter

In a parish tradition going back several years, the Human Concerns Committee signed up our entire parish to provide another dinner for 15 people at University Lutheran Church on Friday, January 25.

This is a simple,  personal and fun way for us to help homeless ladies during these cold, wet winter months.  We are always welcome to stay, share the meal and visit with the 15-20 lady guests.

If you wish to help, a check may be written to the parish with "HCC/HEART AND HOME COLLABORATIVE" on the memo line and placed in the collection basket.  If you prefer to cook a dish, call 650-714-2131.  Come join us!

3. TOMORROW: Saturday, January 26: Pastoral Garden Work Party

With all this rain, the Pastoral Garden (behind the Pastoral Center at 3290 Middlefield Road, Palo Alto) is growing like gangbusters!

We took November and December 2018 off due to rain and holidays, but want to pick it back up.

Please plan to join us on Saturday, January 26, at 9:00 a.m. for weeding, pruning and other plant fun.  We usually go until 11:00 a.m. or so.  Free water and donuts/healthy snacks to keep our energy up. See you there!

4. TOMORROW: Saturday, January 26: Mary Carlstead Memorial Mass

Mary Carlstead, 89, of Palo Alto, CA passed away December 15th, 2018 at Gordon Manor Assisted Living facility in Redwood City, CA.

Memorial services will be held Saturday at 1:00 p.m., Saturday, January 26th, 2019 at St. Albert the Great Catholic Church in Palo Alto, CA with a Celebration of Life gathering immediately following at the church hospitality center.  Private burial will be held January 25th at Gate of Heaven Cemetery in Los Altos, CA.

Mary was born June 12th, 1929 in Quincy, IL to Milton John and Marie Louise Braxmeier.  Mary graduated from Notre Dame High school in 1947, and Quincy University in 1951 with a Bachelor Degree in History.  Mary began working as a hostess on the GM&O railroad in 1952, traveling routes between Mobile and Chicago, and loved to share her humorous stories about meeting famous celebrities, baseball players and unusual incidents on board.  She later received a Master’s Degree in Education from Marquette University in 1955, teaching high school in the Milwaukee, WI area until moving to California in 1957. While working at Lockheed Space and Missiles a chance meeting led to friendship and later marriage to Robert Carlstead in 1960. They raised three children in Palo Alto, CA where she retired from Stanford University in 1997 as a research contracts administrator.

Mary was an avid sports enthusiast and loved to cheer on the San Francisco Giants, Golden State Warriors, and anything Stanford University related.  After her retirement from Stanford University she enjoyed working as a docent at Filoli Gardens in Woodside, CA sharing her love of art, history and gardening with visitors.  Mary and her husband Robert also spent time traveling to many parts of the USA visiting their daughters in the Seattle area, historical sites and battlefields, National Parks and even participated in a hilarious impromptu comedy routine on stage with Yakov Smirnoff in Branson, MO.  Together they went on cruises to Alaska and through the Panama Canal, toured many countries in Europe, attended the Passion Play at Oberammergau, and enjoyed golfing on the Big Island of Hawaii. They most especially loved driving though Foothills park looking for deer, wild turkeys, and admiring the views of the Bay Area from Vista Point.

Mary is survived by her husband of 58 years, Robert Carlstead, and two daughters:  Martha Carlstead of Seattle, WA and Carrie Carlstead of Mountlake Terrace, WA.  Mary was preceded in death by her son William Carlstead in 1997.

Donations in lieu of flowers can be made to Pathways Hospice (www.pathwayshealth.org), a non-profit organization who provided Mary with loving care and compassion during her final days.

5. From the Pastor’s Desk

“How good, how delightful it is to live as brothers all together!”. "Where there is true charity, God is present". What beautiful biblical and liturgi- cal words that are very well known to us. Even more beautiful it would be to make them real among us. We read in the act of the apostles how the early communities’ members supported each other and did every- thing rooted in a deep and faithful love for Christ.

I want to start proposing activities to bring the community (our three churches) together. While each site has its own identity and beauty, we have lots to share with each other, all with a very clear purpose: The Love of Christ and His greater glory.

When I was in Lithuania as a priest we had a lovely tradition to welcome spring. After 6 months of cold dark winter it was amazing to celebrate the warm weather and the life that came out of the ice. It was a little town, and we all went out to paint the streets of the town (with environment friendly paint of course). We decorated the town. We shared meals and music.

In our parish we will welcome Spring on Saturday March 23rd. We will paint our OLR parking lot. We will share ethnic food to exchange the beauty of our diverse ethnic groups, and why not some music and dancing. More info will come. Stay tuned.

During the month of May we will honor our blessed mother, The Virgin Mary. During May we will pray the Rosary before or in between all Masses. I want to invite families, individuals, groups, anyone, to create a prayer to Mary. After a voting process we will chose one and the whole parish will pray it at the end of all Masses. Also everyone who would like to create art (paintings, quilts, sculptures, any form or art) is invited to honor Mary. We will take turns to display all our parish talent in the different sites. Finally, husbands will honor their wives (and daughters if it applies) preparing breakfast for them after Mass. Dress up and wait for more info to come very soon! Single men and women may contribute in many ways. No one will be left aside.

With sincere love,
Fr. Estanislao Mikalonis

6. This Weekend: 2nd Collection For Our Parish St. Vincent de Paul Conference

Your generous donations to the work of your St. Vincent de Paul Conference have made a difference to many people these past months.

We also help people who come to our parish door with daily food and grocery cards, and always a listening ear and prayer. By your generosity on January 26 and 27 you can continue to help more families. You are also very welcome to come and see our work at the Pastoral Center on Mondays and Wednesdays. Please join us in our prayerful work.

7. This Weekend: Bethlehem Artworks Available

Beautiful hand-made olive wood religious articles made by Catholic families in Bethlehem and Jerusalem will be on sale the weekend of January 26-27 after most Masses. Please stop by our tables and take a look at our beautiful handmade rosaries, statues, crosses and nativities.

They will make a wonderful present for family and friends. The religious articles are made by the suffering Christian families in the Holy-Land, and are their means of spreading the word of Jesus, a goal that began two thousand years ago.

The number of Christians in the Holy Land has dropped within the last ten years. Crafting the religious articles is the primary means for providing for the livelihood of Christian families in the Holy Land.

Bethlehem Artworks is a non-profit organization that provides assistance to over 100 plus suffering families each week.

8. Sunday, January 27: OLR Site Committee meeting

There will be a OLR Site Committee meeting after the 10:30 a.m. Mass in Kerry’s Corner.  All are welcome.

9. Tuesday, January 29: Spirituality Tuesday Assembly: Fr. Anthony Hernandez "Signs and Symbols of Faith"

There are a variety of signs and symbols that are part of our Catholic Christian tradition. Their meanings are sometimes obvious to us, sometimes they are richer than we imagined. Fr. Anthony Hernandez will lead a discussion on various symbols from our tradition and show how they can help intensify our experience of the Catholic faith.

Fr. Anthony Hernandez is the Pastor of St. Basil Byzantine Catholic Church in Los Gatos. He presides at Holy Liturgy at St. Albert the Great Church every Sunday at 11:00 am.

7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. St. Albert the Great Hospitality Center

10. Vincent de Paul Thank You

Your parish St Vincent de Paul conference is able to help people because of the work of various volunteers.

The ladies, who sort and pack food donations, work on weekends with their families.

Welcome to our new ladies and their families:  Jenny Pama and Rebecca Passarello.

Thank you so much to our persistent long-time volunteers:

Cheryl Tibshirani and her family have been sorting food donations and packing the bags of nutrititious food for 4 years.

Thank you so much Cheryl for all your hard work. We will miss you as you move on to other work in the parish.

Mona Napaa and Clare Fernandes and their families have also been doing this valuable work.

Mona has been recruiting families for this needed work so that each family packs on no more than one weekend a month.

Bags are handed out at Pastoral Center Monday & Wednesday.

Thank you to all of you for your time, prayers and attention to the needy of our area.  If you are interested in helping out, please contact Anne Fillin, gracefu...@gmail.com.

11. Pastoral Home Ministry Available

Jesus has a special compassion for the sick and suffering. He wants us to look out for them. If you are ill or homebound, or in a retirement home or a care facility or if you know a parishioner who needs pastoral care, please contact the Pastoral Home Ministry.

We will visit them, bring them Holy Communion and, if needed, offer them the Sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick by one of our priests.

Contact me at fon...@hotmail.com or 650-494-2496 ext. 22 or 650-494-1660.

Mary Fong, Coordinator of Pastoral Home Ministry

12. St. Elizabeth Seton School News

Open House - Science Fair - Application Dates - Non - Discriminatory Policy

Applications for new students for 2019-2020 are now available in the school office and on our website at www.setonpaloalto.org for all grades including our Little Saints Preschool. Preschool applicants must be 4 years old by September 1, 2019. Kindergarten applicants must be 5 years old by September 1, 2019. Readiness testing for our Full-Day Kindergarten will begin in February.

Our Open House and Science Fair for Grades Pre-K – 8th will take place on Wednesday, January 30th from 7:00 – 8:30 p.m. Interested applicants are welcome to join us at this annual Open House for our school families and anyone interested in sending their children to Seton School. If you have friends or family members who are interested in enrolling their children at Seton, please have them call the school, pick up an application in the school office, or on visit our website at: www.setonpaloalto.org

We look forward to seeing you at our Open House and Science Fair!

Ms. Evelyn Rosa, Principal

NON-DISCRIMINATORY POLICY

St. Elizabeth Seton School admits students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admission policies, scholarship and loan programs, athletic programs and other school-administered programs.

13. Human Concerns: During February, HCC-Sponsored Soles4Souls Gently-Used Shoe Collection

You will find collection boxes placed for your convenience in the vestibules of our three churches.  Your shoes will be taken to DSW (Designer Shoe Warehouse) and shipped at their expense to Soles4Souls warehouses for distribution to men, women and children in need around the world.

In 2012, our parish contributed 597 pairs of shoes!  We encourage you to gather your unneeded gently-used shoes and watch for the donation boxes in the sanctuaries.

Human Concerns Committee

14. Donations Solicited for 2019 Knights of Columbus Crab Dinner Dance

Our Knights of Columbus Council asks parishioners for donations of new or gently used items or services (carwashing, wine tasting party, progressive dinner, babysitting, etc) for the auction table at their Feb 9th, 2019 Crab Dinner Dance.

Please call Jerry Lucha (650) 424-9660 to discuss your idea or drop off items at the Pastoral Center (3290 Middlefield Road, Palo Alto, CA)

Please SAVE THE DATE: Feb 9th.  Tickets must be purchased in advance and members of our Knights will be selling tickets after the Masses on January 19-20, January 26-27 and February 2-3.  See the flyer at the end of today’s eBulletin.

15. Green Corner: Several Climate Change News Items

NY Times 1/17 -Andrew Wheeler, nominee for EPA chief, told a Senate committee he rated climate change's threat level  at 8 or 9 on a scale of 10, but not the "greatest threat".  Since his appointment he has endorsed a number of measures to roll back current climate change controls.  He is a former coal industry lobbyist.

SF Chronicle 1/17 - Monarch butterflies are almost extinct here.  A census count in CA showed 28,429 left at 213 sites.  This is an 86% decline since last year and a 99.4% drop since the 1980's. . . .They were nice, weren't they?

SJ Mercury 1/19 -  Hitachi has stopped planning work for Britain on two nuclear plants (North Wales and Oldbury) over a dispute about financial terms and contributions.  (Britain has a long-range plan to decarbonize electric power production.)  The government said it still wants to keep Hitachi within arms reach to resume negotiations.

SF Chronicle 1/19 - The 9th U.>Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the state's low-carbon fuel standard does not violate the rights of out-of-state- producers and suppliers.  Oil and ethanol producers had argued that CA was improperly trying to regulate interstate commerce outside its borders    . . .This issue may go to to the SCOTUS.

SJ Mercury 1/19 - The Senate Armed Services Committee criticized the Pentagon's limited answers to questions about climate change's impact on military bases.  Its answers were that 79 were threatened by drought, flood and/or forest fire.  What was lacking?  Nothing about specific resilience/mitigation plans and priorities.

16. Green Corner: Several More Global-Warming Indications

SF Chronicle 1/21 - Global warming' s effect on economy:  Analysis by 4 former Federal Reserve members, 15 former WH Council of Economic Advisers and 27 Nobel laureates:  They recommend an "immediate national action" on a progressive carbon tax and a later disbursement back to consumers as a "carbon dividend".  This group asks and answers:  A.  How permanent will costs be?  Examples:  1.  Crop loss from recurrent drought:  A permanent loss.  2.  Roads destroyed from flooding and/or hurricanes:  Not so permanent.  People, contractors and suppliers get paid.  (If spent during a depression these dollars might be an economic stimulus - (Keynesian effect.)  3.  A big utility spends big bucks to weather-proof its power grid:  A long-term plus, because we gain energy efficiency and reliability.

Another question:  How might climate change fuel inequality?  It depends.  If you live in a flood-prone area?  Bad.  Your dwelling is either unlivable or uninhabitable.  In drought region?  Bad for ski resorts and supporting services and suppliers.  Conclusion:   Bad effects vary, but less painful if you're rich.

Another question:  Can we adapt to a warmer climate?  We are resilient and resourceful.  We will certainly have to massively re-wire how we live.  If we do this too quickly we might go bust.  But it's do-able incrementally.  We'd better start now.

[Opinion]  This analysis is by economists and money folks.  Add to this the more dire projections on death and illnesses, on medical costs. habitat destruction and other consequences and you'll foresee gloom and doom. . . .  We'd better start now.

17. Green Corner: Green New Deal

You may have heard in the news about a proposed Green New Deal. This is work in progress and you will find more information on the topic in this article from The National Catholic Reporter:

https://www.ncronline.org/news/environment/work-toward-just-society-we-need-green-new-deal?utm_source=JAN_15_ECOCATH&utm_campaign=cc&utm_medium=email

The Green Committee

18. Green Corner: Get'Em Before They’re Gone! (Federal Tax Credits For Bolts And Volts)

At the end of 2018, General Motors reached its 200,000 sales cap for EV’s. (Electrical Vehicles) This means that the Federal Tax Credit for all future EVs produced by GM will phase out.

The 200,000 sales is the magical number, which triggers the phase-out of the federal tax credit of up to $7,500. Even if not all customers applied for the tax credit or if there is some delay between sales and the federal tax credit tally, the 200,000 will be fact in this quarter.
https://insideevs.com/gm-federal-tax-credit-limit-200000-evs/

This means that:
• by the end of March 2019: full $7,500 incentive will be available only for one more quarter
• between April 1, 2019 and September 30, 2019: maximum will be just 50% ($3,750)
• between October 1,2019 to March 31, 2020: maximum will be just 25% ($1,875)
• from April 1, 2020: no federal tax credit

19. Continuing January 30: Wednesdays at St. Thomas Aquinas Church: Adoration and Benediction

In support of offering more opportunities from personal prayer, our parish has been keeping St. Thomas Aquinas Church (451 Waverley Street, Palo Alto) open
until 5:00 p.m.

In addition to that, each Wednesday, the parish is going to offer Adoration and Benediction from 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m., before closing the church for the night, continuing Wednesday, January 30, 2019.  You are encouraged to stop by and pray and adore Our Lord.

20. Volunteer Opportunity: Ride To Sunday Mass Needed

Ride needed to Sunday mass.  An elderly woman, Terry Willis who lives at Sunrise Senior Living (El Camino and Oregon) wants to go to the 10:30 am mass at either one of our churches (Our Lady of the Rosary or St. Thomas Aquinas).  Terry gets around with a walker but is mobile otherwise.  Please contact Mary Fong at fon...@hotmail.com or 650-494-1660.

21. Volunteer Opportunity: Altar Server Training

We are currently training new Altar Servers for St. Albert the Great Masses. If you are interested in being an Altar Server, please call Susan Olsen at the Pastoral Center.

22. Volunteer Opportunity: Seton Library Cataloging Effort

St. Elizabeth Seton School turned its library into offices about a year ago, and the library books need to be catalogued before being installed in other classrooms.

Please join Vicki Sullivan cataloging books for Seton School on Monday and Friday mornings for 2 hours. Call her for details. 650-327-5339. The end is in sight so we can reopen their library!!”

23. Continuing Sunday, February 10: Introductions To Your Fellow Congregation Members After The 10:30 am OLR Mass

Continuing on Sunday, February 10, we will continue our series of monthly short chats right after the 10:30am OLR Mass. Each month, a different member of our congregation, or their whole family, will share a bit about themselves, so that we can get to know each other a little better as a community. We hope to use the room next to the refreshment room )(the “stained glass” side of the OLR Hall), so you can get your donuts and drink, then come listen and chat!

On Sunday, February 10, we'll talk with Katherine Carpenter and Russ Wood about their journey to our parish.

If you would like to be one of our monthly speakers, please see Hong-Ha Frei after 10:30 a.m. Mass or email her at hvuon...@gmail.com.

24. Weekly Stewardship Report: Thank You For Sharing God’s Gifts!

The Weekly Stewardship Report For January 20, 2019 (Week 30) for the 2nd Sunday in Ordinary Time is delayed due to the Martin Luthor King, Jr. Holiday

25. Each Thursday: Mothers’ Prayers After 8:30 A.M. OLR Daily Mass

We are a small group of mothers gathering in Kerry’s Corner, the small room off the vestibule of OLR, to pray for our children.  Mothers Prayers is our name.  Mothers Prayers was started in England in November 1995 and has spread rapidly throughout the world with contacts in over 100 countries and has the approval, support and blessing of Christian leaders of all denominations. There are now thousands of groups around the world and we are one of them.  In a 20 minute prayer, we bring all the pain and the worries we have for our children to the Lord and we trust in His words 'Ask and you will receive'. Through this promise, the Lord is just waiting to take away pain and to bless and heal us and our children when we come to Him in Faith.

It takes place every Thursday morning right after 8:30am Mass at Our Lady of the Rosary Church, in Kerry’s Corner, and you are very welcome to join us. Questions? Call Isabelle at (408) 206-8079

26. The Joy of The Gospel (Incrementally)

As we did with the Papal proclamation on care for the earth (“Laudato Si”), the eBulletin will publish “The Joy of The Gospel” incrementally in the coming weeks and months. The 59th installment:

CHAPTER FIVE (Continued)

SPIRIT-FILLED EVANGELIZERS (continued)

II. Mary, mother of evangelization

284. With the Holy Spirit, Mary is always present in the midst of the people. She joined the disciples in praying for the coming of the Holy Spirit (Acts 1:14) and thus made possible the missionary outburst which took place at Pentecost. She is the Mother of the Church which evangelizes, and without her we could never truly understand the spirit of the new evangelization.

Jesus’ gift to his people

285. On the cross, when Jesus endured in his own flesh the dramatic encounter of the sin of the world and God’s mercy, he could feel at his feet the consoling presence of his mother and his friend. At that crucial moment, before fully accomplishing the work which his Father had entrusted to him, Jesus said to Mary: “Woman, here is your son”. Then he said to his beloved friend: “Here is your mother” (Jn 19:26-27). These words of the dying Jesus are not chiefly the expression of his devotion and concern for his mother; rather, they are a revelatory formula which manifests the mystery of a special saving mission. Jesus left us his mother to be our mother. Only after doing so did Jesus know that “all was now finished” (Jn 19:28). At the foot of the cross, at the supreme hour of the new creation, Christ led us to Mary. He brought us to her because he did not want us to journey without a mother, and our people read in this maternal image all the mysteries of the Gospel. The Lord did not want to leave the Church without this icon of womanhood. Mary, who brought him into the world with great faith, also accompanies “the rest of her offspring, those who keep the commandments of God and bear testimony to Jesus” (Rev 12:17). The close connection between Mary, the Church and each member of the faithful, based on the fact that each in his or her own way brings forth Christ, has been beautifully expressed by Blessed Isaac of Stella: “In the inspired Scriptures, what is said in a universal sense of the virgin mother, the Church, is understood in an individual sense of the Virgin Mary... In a way, every Christian is also believed to be a bride of God’s word, a mother of Christ, his daughter and sister, at once virginal and fruitful... Christ dwelt for nine months in the tabernacle of Mary’s womb. He dwells until the end of the ages in the tabernacle of the Church’s faith. He will dwell forever in the knowledge and love of each faithful soul”.[212]

286. Mary was able to turn a stable into a home for Jesus, with poor swaddling clothes and an abundance of love. She is the handmaid of the Father who sings his praises. She is the friend who is ever concerned that wine not be lacking in our lives. She is the woman whose heart was pierced by a sword and who understands all our pain. As mother of all, she is a sign of hope for peoples suffering the birth pangs of justice. She is the missionary who draws near to us and accompanies us throughout life, opening our hearts to faith by her maternal love. As a true mother, she walks at our side, she shares our struggles and she constantly surrounds us with God’s love. Through her many titles, often linked to her shrines, Mary shares the history of each people which has received the Gospel and she becomes a part of their historic identity. Many Christian parents ask that their children be baptized in a Marian shrine, as a sign of their faith in her motherhood which brings forth new children for God. There, in these many shrines, we can see how Mary brings together her children who with great effort come as pilgrims to see her and to be seen by her. Here they find strength from God to bear the weariness and the suffering in their lives. As she did with Juan Diego, Mary offers them maternal comfort and love, and whispers in their ear: “Let your heart not be troubled… Am I not here, who am your Mother?”[213]

27. Friday, February 1: The Goretti Group

The Goretti Group is holding their monthly Mass, Dinner and Meeting at Our Lady of the Rosary Church and Hall on Friday, February 1st.

Mass begins at 7pm, with dinner at 7:45pm and a talk at 8:15pm featuring Amanda Vohs, Director of Strategic Partnerships, International Justice Mission. Amanda will share her experience fighting modern day slavery and sex trafficking with Interntation Justice Mission.

Please RSVP to bay...@thegorettigroup.org. Donations welcome and/or please bring a side dish/dessert to share. https://www.thegorettigroup.org/bay-area.html

28. Wednesday, February 6: Next S.O.U.P. Gathering

The soup caldrons have been fired up again! Your next opportunity to join S.O.U.P. (Sharing Ourselves with Undernourished People) is Wednesday,  January 16, 5:45 p.m. in the OLR Hall.  Give it a try!  Just bring a bowl and spoon (and a good appetite) and contribute what you would have spent on dinner. Bring some cheese, crackers, bread or wine to share if you feel moved.  But do come!

Over the years this group has donated  almost $100,000 to local charities and to Father Jack Donald, a Palo Alto native who has transformed lives in Central America. He is part of the International Ministries of the Society of Jesus. The basic plan for SOUP is simple. Three families bring soup to the meeting and a few bring wine and juice. Each person brings a bowl and crackers or bread.  We have about an hour of good conversation and a simple dinner. At the end of the meal, each person donates what they would have spent at the market or dining out..  Again, over the years we have raised almost $100,000.

29. Monday, February 11: Peaceful Presence Multifaith Prayers for Peace

Monday, February 11, 7:00-7:30 p.m.
Our Lady of the Rosary Church, 3233 Cowper Street, Palo Alto

Let us come together for much needed time of healing, prayers, strength and gratitude. Peaceful Presence is a monthly gathering hosted by diverse faith communities for multifaith prayers for peace and strength for the journey.  See the flyer attached to today’s eBulletin.

30. Saturday, February 16: Fred Dietrich Memorial Mass (Note New Time)

Fred Dietrich passed away January 1, 2019.  There will be a memorial Mass celebrated on Saturday, February 16 at 2:00 p.m. at St. Thomas Aquinas Church.  All are welcome.

31. Saturday, February 16: Parish Blood Drive

The parish has arranged with the Stanford Blood Center to come of our parish Saturday, February 16, between 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. to Our Lady of the Rosary Hall (3233 Cowper Street, Palo Alto to accept blood donations.

NOTE: You do not need a physician consent to donate. If the nurse at the time determines there is a medical condition requiring consent then this is the only case in which one would be required. There is no upper age limit for donations.

Please hold the date. Contact Chris Lundin (clu...@stanford.edu) with questions.  For more information or eligibility requirements, call 650-723-7831 or visit bloodcenter.stanford.edu

See the attached PDF.  Reserve your time at http://sbcdonor.org and Donor Code: 2581

32. Human Concerns: February 16-17: Have A Heart Weekend

HAVE A HEART ❤️ weekend will take place in our parish on February 16 and 17. This year, cash donations will be collected to provide for a variety of client needs that arise over the year at our local Opportunity Center, 33 Encina, north of Town and Country Shopping Center.

Thanks to your generous donations in prior years, our parish has been able to provide sleeping bags, rain ponchos, thermal blankets, winter hats, men's and ladies underwear, warm socks and other similar items as needed. This is in addition to the Soles4Souls effort (separate boxes in each vestibule).

Human Concern Committee representatives will be available after each mass that weekend to receive cash donations. Checks should be made out to STA Parish with HCC/Have A Heart on the memo line.

Background: Years ago, members of various Palo Alto Churches including of the Palo Alto Catholic Churches encouraged the Palo Alto City Council to build the Opportunity Center.  This was successful. Later it was discovered an ongoing need of residents was, and is, underwear.

The various Palo Alto churches started "Undie Sunday" to ask parishioners for cash donations to buy underwear.  A couple of our Catholic parishioners were very bothered about putting Underwear and Sunday in the same phrase.  It was decided in our parish to call the Sunday Have a Heart Sunday.

This Sunday is held as close to Valentine's Day as possible, no collection is made. Parishioners, mostly from the Human Concerns Committee, stand at the vestibules of the churches asking people to donate to buy needed underwear and sanitary supplies for the Opportunity Center.

We look forward to seeing you,
The Human Concerns Committee

Outside The Parish

33. Green Corner: Sunday, January 27: Zero Waste Palo Alto: Next Repair Cafe

Bring your broken stuff and team up with repair volunteers to get it working again. Repair and reuse your goods rather than relegating them to landfill. Bring clothing, bikes, computers, small appliances, lamps, mechanical items, small furniture, jewelry – whatever you can carry. Sunday January 27, 2019 11 AM – 3 PM Museum of American Heritage 351 Homer Avenue, Palo Alto For more information, visit www.repaircafe-paloalto.org

34. Opinion: Gospel's Poor Widow Is Homeless In Vermont

Jan 22, 2019 by Mark Redmond

A few years ago, a restaurant a few blocks away from our shelter held a Free Burrito Day, with all proceeds going to our nonprofit. I was grateful and volunteered to help in whatever capacity they desired. Local celebrities, including the mayor, the University of Vermont hockey coach and others, stood behind the counter rolling burritos, while I stood there holding a large bowl that had "Please donate" taped to it.

It started at 11 a.m., and immediately a long line of people formed, college students, businesspeople and families. Most of them were receiving their burrito and then putting one or two dollars in the bowl, some people larger amounts, while others put in nothing, which was fine since there was no requirement to donate.

But at one point, I saw three men in line whom I recognized as being from Burlington's homeless population. They were dressed practically in rags, were unwashed and unshaved. They looked to me to be inebriated to some degree, although acting fine, not acting out in any way.

The restaurant manager had previously given me several "Get Another Free Burrito" cards to hand out to whomever I wished. This seemed like the perfect opportunity, so when the first homeless man came through and was handed his burrito, I offered him one of the cards. When I did so, he responded with a smile that I will never forget. Beatific is the only word that comes to mind. He was delighted and grateful beyond words.

Then he reached into his pocket, pulled out two pennies, and began to deposit them into the bowl I was holding. My first reaction was to pull back and say, "That's okay. You don't have to do that. This isn't meant for you."

But I didn't. I resisted that impulse, recognizing that this perfect soul, as homeless and poor as he appeared, had as much right to give back as anyone else, and to deny him that would be to deny him dignity and love.

He put the two pennies in the bowl. I smiled and thanked him. As he walked away I could not help but think of the Gospel story in which a poor widow at the temple came and donated two small coins, and Jesus responded, "This poor widow put in more than all the others; for they all put in out of their surplus, but she, out of her poverty, put in all she owned, all she had to live on."

A few months later, I convinced one of the wealthiest people in Vermont to come and see our shelter and everything else we offer to homeless youth. I had heard that he had recently made a six-figure gift to another nonprofit, so I planned to ask him to do the same for us. After touring him through, I asked if he would donate.

"What's the range of giving?" he asked.

I thought for a moment and responded, "This year one family made a quarter-million-dollar gift to us. And a homeless man gave us two cents. That's the range."

He looked at me quizzically, eyebrows raised, but didn't say anything.

I then added: "And both gifts mean exactly the same to us.”

35. Swiss Guards: New Black Helmets

JANUARY 23, 2019 16:37 by Anne Kurian

On January 22, 2019, for the 513th anniversary of its foundation, the Pontifical Swiss Guard inaugurated new black helmets and a series of short films on the life of the Vatican’s armed corps.

To mark the anniversary, the guards and families of their District attended a Mass, at the end of the day, in the church of “Santa Maria in Campo Santo Teutonico.” After the celebration, they marched to Saint Peter’s Square to commemorate the arrival of the first Swiss mercenaries on January 22, 1506, stated a press release.

After their return to Caserne, a military ceremony took place. The note specifies that the guards will wear, for the first time, their new black helmets, made in Switzerland by a 3D printer. The new helmets are made of a resistant plastic to UV: they are lighter and more comfortable than the metallic helmets for long guards in broad daylight, during liturgical celebrations or Audiences in Saint Peter’s Square.

The Swiss Guard also published the first short film of the series “1506 — The Swiss Guard Presents Itself,” on the theme “Service of Honour” — a series of some 20 videos made to “give a general view of the life of its men.” The first chapter shows the guards preparing to receive a Head of State, in this instance, of the President of the Swiss Confederation, Alain Berset, and his reception.

More about the Swiss Guards: http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/swiss_guard/swissguard/storia_en.htm

36. Pope Francis Warns Against ‘Spirals of Hatred’ On Social Media

By Courtney Grogan

VATICAN CITY — Pope Francis warned Thursday against the increasing narcissism and “spirals of hatred” found on today’s social-media networks, encouraging people to cultivate community through their internet interactions instead.

In his World Day of Social Communications message, Pope Francis said that online discussion is “too often based on opposition to the other.”

“We define ourselves starting with what divides us rather than with what unites us, giving rise to suspicion and to the venting of every kind of prejudice (ethnic, sexual, religious and other),” Francis wrote in the letter published Jan. 24.

This creates a digital environment that nourishes “unbridled individualism which sometimes ends up fomenting spirals of hatred,” he explained.

“As Christians, we all recognize ourselves as members of the one body whose head is Christ. This helps us not to see people as potential competitors, but to consider even our enemies as persons,” he said.

“We no longer need an adversary in order to define ourselves” because in “the all-encompassing gaze we learn from Christ” our identity and our relationship in communion with others, he explained.

The Pope also commented on data privacy and the risk posed by social networks that profit off using people’s personal information for their own benefit.

37. February 8-10: Men’s Discernment Weekend

Is God calling you to the priesthood? Are you a single, Catholic male, 18 years or older? February 8-10, 5pm - 3pm is the #Thinking Priesthood Men's Discernment Weekend at Saint Lawrence the Martyr Parish, Santa Clara. Experience priesthood, hear priest’s vocation stories and learn about discernment, the values of priestly life and structure of seminary formation. Contact voca...@dsj.org

38. Continuing Friday, February 15: Taize Prayer: Join Us Around The Cross in Fremont

Please join us from 8:00 pm to 9:00 pm monthly on Fridays on October 19, November 16, December 21, 2018, January 18, February 15, March 15, and May 17, 019 - Dominican Sisters of Mission San Jose Chapel, 43326 Mission Circle, Fremont, CA 94539 (off Mission Tierra). For more information, please call 510-657-2468

39. Saturday, February 23: Wedding Anniversary Mass

Bishop Patrick J. McGrath and Bishop Oscar Cantú invite all couples celebrating their 1st through 5th, 25th, 40th and 50th (or more) Wedding Anniversaries in 2019 to participate in the Annual Wedding Anniversary Celebration Mass at the Basilica Cathedral of St. Joseph on Saturday, February 23rd.

The couples will renew their wedding vows and receive a blessing from the Bishop. There will be a simple reception following Mass in Loyola Hall adjacent to the Basilica. Photographs with the Bishop will be available at the reception as well as an anniversary certificate and gift from the Office of the Bishop. The liturgy will be celebrated in English and Spanish.

 You can register for this event at Wedding Anniversary Mass Celebration or contact Christina at ch...@dsj.org or 408-983-0128. Please pre-register by February 15, 2019.

40. Readings for the Third Sunday in Ordinary Time, and Presider Schedules

Sunday readings in English: http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/012719.cfm
Sunday readings en Español:
http://www.usccb.org/bible/lecturas/012719.cfm

5:00 p.m. Saturday: St. Albert the Great: Fr. Michael (Music: Paul Prochaska)
7:30 a.m. St. Thomas Aquinas: Fr. Anthony
8:45 a.m. St. Thomas Aquinas: Fr. Kevin Ballard, S.J.
9:00 a.m. St. Albert the Great: Fr. Michael (Music: Chris Lundin and SAG Choir) - Family Mass
9:00 a.m. Our Lady of the Rosary: Fr. Stasys (Music: Ramon Perez and Hispanic Coro)
10:30 a.m. Our Lady of the Rosary: Fr. Michael (Music: Chris Lundin and OLR Choir) - Family Mass
10:30 a.m. St. Thomas Aquinas: Fr. Anthony (Music: Instrumental Ensemble and Women's Choir directed by Paul Prochaska)
11:00 a.m. St.  Albert:(St. Basil the Great Byzantine Catholic Community): Fr. Anthony Hernandez
Noon: St. Thomas Aquinas: TBA (Music: Gregorian chant and Renaissance motets with St. Ann Choir)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The eBulletin is an initiative of our parish Communications Board, whose ministry it is to improve communications in our parish.

As of today, our parish eBulletin is sent to 421 parish families! (closed (bouncing) accounts recently removed). Pass the word! Who will be Family No. 422? If you are interested in receiving the eBulletin on a weekly basis, send an email request to clu...@stanford.edu.  You will be added to "PaloAltoCatho...@googlegroups.com" which is used to send out the eBulletin each Friday morning.

Always Useful Information:
Parish Online Giving: https://www.myowngiving.com/Default.aspx?cid=357
Parish Elder Care Resources: Call/leave a message at the Pastoral Home Ministry (494-2496, ext. 22) Call a priest at the rectory at 327-8222
St. Thomas Aquinas Parish Online Calendar*: http://www.mychurchevents.com/calendar/calendar.aspx?ci=L6M7J4G1J4H2O9L6I3
Steeple Talk Newsletter: http://www.paloaltocatholic.net/index.cfm?load=page&page=202 (see left sidebar)
Diocese of San Jose: http://www.dsj.org/
The Valley Catholic (Diocesan newspaper: http://tvc.dsj.org
Diocese of San Jose EthicsPoint Hotline (1-888-325-7863) - to report financial misconduct
Diocese of San Jose Office for the Protection of Children and Vulnerable Adults:  (408) 983-0113 or protection@ dsj.org
Vatican YouTube site: http://www.youtube.com/vatican
H20 Catholic News Service: http://www.h2onews.org/english.html
U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops: http://www.usccb.org/
Daily Scripture reflections: http://www.usccb.org/bible/reflections/
Mass Times While Traveling: http://www.masstimes.org/txt/
Courage (same-sex attraction support group): 650-450-2286 or email grc...@sbcglobal.net
Salt + Light Blog: http://www.saltandlighttv.org/blog
St. Vincent de Paul Auto Donation Phone number: 1-800-322-8284
Trafficking: National Human Trafficking Resource Center at 888-373-7888 (toll-free hotline 24 hours/day)
Trafficking: California Coalition to Abolish Slavery & Trafficking at 888-KEY-2FREEDOM. Texts can also be sent to “BE FREE,” or 233733.  (toll-free hotline 24 hours/day)
Catholic Charities (Diocese of San Jose): Elder Care Line and Homecare: (408) 831-0441
Catholic Charities (Diocese of San Jose): Senior Activity Centers, in San Jose and Sunnyvale (408) 270-4900
Catholic Charities (Diocese of San Jose): Behavior Health Clinic in downtown San Jose (408)-899-7160

* If you know of events or recurring meetings which should be added to the calendar, please send them to clu...@stanford.edu, and we will work to get the calendar updated.

PastedGraphic-1.pdf
St. Thomas_Flier.pdf