Parish eBulletin - Volume 13, No. 5, January 31, 2020

Chris Lundin

Jan 31, 2020, 11:11:59 AM1/31/20
to 'Helen Baumann' via PaloAltoCatholic-EBulletin

St. Thomas Aquinas Parish
The Catholic Community of Palo Alto, California

St. Thomas Aquinas parish is a Roman Catholic community of disciples
working together for the glory of God and our spiritual growth in Jesus, the Christ.
With the guidance of the Holy Spirit, we live and share the Gospel
through worship, education and service.

Parish eBulletin - Volume 13, No. 5 - January 31, 2020

Wonderful New Parishioner-Led Volunteer Activity

Table of Contents:

1. THIS Weekend: Feast Of The Presentation Of The Lord (Candelmas Day)
2. THIS Sunday, February 2: Bethlem Artworks at OLR and STA
3. Saturday, February 22:  The 22nd Annual Crab Dinner Dance Tickets Available Beginning THIS Weekend
4. Wanted: Artists
5. Sunday, January 26: High School Youth Ministry
6. Tuesday. February 4:  Spirituality Tuesday Assembly: “Cosmic Perspective” 7. Wednesday, February 5: S.O.U.P, OLR Hall, 5:45 P.M.
7. Wednesday, February 5: S.O.U.P, OLR Hall, 5:45 P.M.
8. Wednesday, February 5: Confirmation Classes
9. Volunteer Opportunity: New Parishioner-Led Project: Take Them A Meal
10. Volunteer Opportunity: Pastoral Home Ministry
11. Volunteer Opportunity: Join The SAG Donuteers
12. Weekly Stewardship Report: Thank You For Sharing God’s Gifts!
13.  Want To Become A Catholic?
14. Save the date:  February 8: Dan Schutte
15. Saturday, February 8: "Clergy Abuse and the Church: Where Do We Go From Here?”
16. Tuesday, February 11: Peaceful Presence
17. Human Concerns: Saturday, February 22: Next Human Concerns Committee Meeting

Outside The Parish:

18. Friday, February 7: Upcoming Vallombrosa Events: Women on the Journey : Inspiring Lives
19. Weekly Intercessions
20. Pilgrimage Opportunities in 2020-2021
21. Presider Schedules for the Presentation of the Lord, And Sunday Mass Readings

Bonus Information:   Dan Schutte PDF
——————————————————————————————————————————

1. THIS Weekend: Feast Of The Presentation Of The Lord (Candelmas Day)

This weekend, February 1 and 2, marks forty days since Christmas, and on this date we celebrate the Feast of the Presentation of the Lord. This day recognizes Jesus’ presentation by his parents in the temple on the 40th day after his birth, a Jewish custom which, according to the Gospels, was adhered to by Mary and Joseph. In so doing, they revealed Jesus as the fulfillment of the law.

This feast day falls on a Sunday only once in awhile, so we don’t often have the opportunity to celebrate it. The celebration is also known as Candlemas Day, as traditionally it includes a lighting and blessing of candles.

Candles will be provided for everyone for our special gathering procession at all parishcldn Masses, and anyone who wishes to process into the church with a candle will be invited to do so.

You are also invited to bring candles from home if you would like to have them blessed.

The special entrance will happen at all parish masses.

Among the many other activities today, (e.g., Super Bowl) this Sunday we celebrate the Feast of the Presentation of the Lord (Candlemas).

It’s 40 days since Christmas. All those Christmas decorations we have long since taken down can now OFFICIALLY be put away. But for Jesus and his family, this day had greater significance, a significance we have an opportunity to richly embrace this Sunday. In the time of Jesus, the 40th day after the birth of a first born son marked an important event. A family was called to present that child in the temple with an offering (in this case, two turtle doves) in thanksgiving for that child. On that 40th day, the mother of the child became ritually pure and thus able to visit the temple to present this gift. It is suggested that this tradition was, in part, a remembering of the first Passover when God “passed over the firstborn of Israel.”

The story is given to us in the Gospel of Luke, and in it we encounter two additional very special people who give witness to the importance of this child to the world. Anna is a widow, 84 years of age, who has spent every day of her life in the temple praying and fasting. Simeon is a very holy man who has been waiting to see the promised Messiah who would save his people, Israel. It is their actions and testimony that are important. Anna takes the child into her arms and gives thanks to God for him. Simeon also takes Jesus into his arms and prays, “Now, Master, let your servant go in peace. You have fulfilled your promise. My own eyes have seen your salvation which you have prepared in the sight of all peoples, a light to bring the Gentiles from darkness and glory for your people Israel.” His prayer has become the traditional Gospel canticle of Night Prayer, spoken at the end of each day as part of the Liturgy of the Hours. It is this “light” that we celebrate as we bless and light candles this weekend. candle we see remind us to bring Christ’s light to others as true disciples of the Lord.

As with the candles we receive at our Baptism, the light of Christ entrusted to us to be kept burning brightly, may these candles remind us to keep Christ’s light burning in our hearts and to bring that light to the world around us. May each and every candle we see remind us to bring Christ’s light to others as true disciples of the Lord.

Susan Lee Olsen, Director of Catechetical Ministry

2. THIS Sunday, February 2: Bethlem Artworks at OLR and STA

Next Sunday, February 2nd, beautiful hand-made olive wood religious articles made by Catholic families in Bethlehem and Jerusalem will be on sale at Our Lady of the Rosary Church after both Masses and St. Thomas Aquinas Church after all Masses.

Please stop by our tables to see our beautiful handmade rosaries, statues, crosses and nativities. They will make a wonderful present for family and friends.

The religious articles are made by the suffering Christian families in the Holy Land, and are their means of spreading the word of Jesus.

3. Saturday, February 22:  The 22nd Annual Crab Dinner Dance Tickets Available Beginning THIS Weekend

Tickets may be obtained from Knights of Columbus now or after Masses on Feb 1/2nd, Feb 8/9th and Feb 15/16th weekends.  Tickets must be purchased in advance.

The KofC Palo Alto Council of STA Parish is asking parishioners for donations of new or gently used items or services (carwashing,wine tasting party, babysitting
hours, progressive dinner,event tickets, etc) for the silent auction table at the Feb 22nd, 2020 Crab Dinner Dance.

Please call Jerry Lucha  (650)424-9660 or Charles Guenzer (650)387-4268 to coordinate drop off of your donations.

4. Wanted: Artists

"Are you an artist?  If you would like to hang your work for a month in the St. Albert the Great Hospitality Center, please contact Ted Baer at tab...@sbcglobal.net or call 650-690-6732.

5. Sunday, February 2: High School Youth Ministry

Today High School Youth Ministry will be having our usual meeting after the 10:30am mass at OLR. All teens are welcome to join us! Next weekend (the 9th) we will be having our first social of the new year! Both Middle School and High School teens are welcome to attend! We will be going bowling! Please RSVP so we can plan accordingly. Email me at pierina. cali...@dsj.org if you're interested!

6. Tuesday. February 4:  Spirituality Tuesday Assembly: “Cosmic Perspective"

“Cosmic Perspective" on Faith: Evolution, Ecology, and Solidarity with God's Good Creation - By Paul J. Schutz Ph.D.

What is the meaning of "creation" in a world dominated by science and threatened by ecological degradation? What does our Catholic tradition have to say about earth and its creatures? Explore what it means to think, feel, and live our relationship to God in what Pope Francis calls a "splendid universal communion" of creatures, with whom we co-evolved and with whom we share our planet. An interactive presentation will be followed by Q&A on a variety of topics. 7:00 - 8:30 pm at the Hospitality Center at St. Albert the Great Church.

A native of Evansville, IN, and graduate of Boston College and Fordham University, Paul J. Schutz, PhD, is Assistant Professor of Religious Studies at Santa Clara University, where he specializes in Religion, Ecology and Science.

7. Wednesday, February 5: S.O.U.P, OLR Hall, 5:45 P.M.

We will have S.O.U.P. (Sharing Ourselves with Undernourished People) at 5:45 p.m. in the OLR Hall.

8. Wednesday, February 5: Confirmation Classes

Please note there will be our regular class on Wednesday, February 5.

9. Volunteer Opportunity: New Parishioner-Led Project: Take Them A Meal

Please join a new parishioner-led project, which will provide Sunday dinner to our priests. Named, Take Them A Mealthe meal project is an outreach program that lets the parish priests know they are appreciated. To participate, parishioners cook and deliver a meal on the busiest day of the week for the priests, Sunday. If you choose to join, you will pick a date that is convenient for your schedule and prepare a meal for three; Fr. Stasys, Fr. Sev, and Fr. Maurice. There are no food allergies, although dietary stipulations include no beef, no pork, low salt and not too spicy.

Delivery is set on Sunday between 12:00 PM and 5:00 PM to the Saint Albert the Great rectory. Located in the rectory carport is a blue Igloo cooler where prepared food will be placed inside. Our priests are not always home for dinner at 5 PM, but they are happy to reheat the meal when arriving back in the evening.

If you have further questions or you are ready to sign-up, please reach out to Julie Sanford at julsan@umich. edu or by phone, 408-829-8717. For Spanish speakers, please contact Raquel Fleischmann at rqbe...@gmail.com or by telephone @ 650-739-5830

10. Volunteer Opportunity: Pastoral Home Ministry

I am looking for more volunteers to assist in our Pastoral Home Ministry. If you are interested in bringing Communion to those homebound or in assisted living faculties and nursing homes, contact me at fon...@hotmail.com.

Mary Fong, Pastoral Home Ministry

11. Volunteer Opportunity: Join The SAG Donuteers

Happy New Year!  The current donut schedule goes through the end of January and we just lost a long time volunteer, so we really need new volunteers.  We have five, but ideally would have eight or nine.  we really are in desperate need of a few families to help out.  If we don't get more families, we might need to switch to offering donuts just twice a month.

Saint Albert the Great Church is looking for volunteers to help with donuts after the 9am Sunday mass.  Commitment is 6-8 Sundays a year. Responsibilities include:

1) purchasing donuts, milk, orange juice and bringing these to the hospitality center
2) preparing coffee
3) supervising donut and coffee gathering after 9 am mass
4) light clean up

For more information (or to volunteer): contact Brigid Farrell at Farrell...@hotmail.com

12. Weekly Stewardship Report: Thank You For Sharing God’s Gifts!

Our Weekly Offering:
   January 19 actual: $ 9,377
   January 26 actual: $ 8,515
           Weekly Goal: $12,000

13.  Want To Become A Catholic?

Thinking about becoming Catholic or receiving the Sacraments of First Eucharist or Confirmation? Do you have an interest in becoming Catholic? Were you baptized as a child but have not received the Sacraments of Eucharist and Confirmation?

Our adult inquiry sessions continue all year long. For more information about the R.C.I.A. process, please contact Deacon Daniel Hernandez at daniel.h...@dsj.org or Susan Olsen at susanle...@dsj.org

14. Saturday, February 8: Dan Schutte

All are invited to attend an 8:30 am Mass followed by 9:00 am sign inand hospitality in the Main Vestibule at St. Simon Church on Saturday, February 8. The topic for this session is “Ministry of Liturgy.” There will be a free-will offering at the door. Dan’s presentation will be from 9:30am – 11:30am. This is a morning of enrichment for liturgical ministers, not just for St. Simon Parish but for all parishes in our diocese and elsewhere. We are all familiar with Dan through his many great compositions, such as “Here I Am Lord,” “You Are Near,” and other songs. To better know how many to expect, RSVP to nora....@dsj.org or 650-494-2496 ext. 14.  See the flyer at the end of today’s eBulletin.

15. Saturday, February 8: "Clergy Abuse and the Church: Where Do We Go From Here?”

A conversation with Rosemary Ellmer, Ph.D. on Saturday, February 8, 2020, from 3:00 - 4:30 pm at Our Lady of the Rosary Church Hall, 3233 Cowper St., Palo Alto

At the request of Bishop P.J. McGrath, in the fall of 2018 Dr. Rosemary Ellmer moderated the four diocese-wide listening sessions held to seek input from people in the pews on the pathway to reform and to listen to those victimized by clerical sexual abuse. A licensed clinical psychologist, Dr. Ellmer has worked for over 15 years at Santa Clara University both as an adjunct professor and a clinical psychologist and training director at the University’s counseling center.

16. Tuesday, February 11: Peaceful Presence

Peaceful Presence: Multifaith Prayers for Peace & Justice (of which our parish is a member)
Tuesday, February 11, 7-7:30pm
Unitarian Universalist Church, 505 E. Charleston, Palo Alto

Click here for details about our monthly gathering for multifaith prayers and strength in difficult times.

17. Human Concerns: Saturday, February 22: Next Human Concerns Committee Meeting

We will again gather at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, February 22 in the OLR Hall to work on various human concerns initiatives.  The January 25 was canceled to allow HCC members of attend Anne Ackerman’s funeral Mass. All are welcome.

Outside The Parish

18. Friday, February 7: Upcoming Vallombrosa Events: Women on the Journey : Inspiring Lives

A retreat for women with Mary Abinante and Renee Duffey
6PM, Friday February 7 to 1PM, Saturday February 8

Companionship is a key component of the spiritual life. We will consider saints and companions in our tradition and in our own lives. Who inspires us? Who gives us strength? Always, we seek to be renewed on our own journey of faith.

The retreat will include presentations, reflection time, conversation, and prayer experiences. You might wish to bring your journal if you use one.

Retreat Facilitators are Mary da Silva Abinante and Renee Duffey. Multiple attendance options available. Please visit vallombrosa.org/calendar or call 650-325-5614 to register.

19. Weekly Intercessions

A reflection, “I remember” by Sheryl L. Jones, a colleague from Catholic Charities

I remember seeing the dogs released on the people and the fire hoses turned on people because they wanted equal rights.

I remember watching the marches and listening to the speeches of Dr. King.

I remember the boycott, bust strikes and garbage strikes.

I remember the church bombing that killed the girls in the Baptist church in Birmingham

I remember George Wallace and his outright hatred. Oh I remember the hatred I saw, I remember the young civil rights workers who disappeared and were later found murdered.

But I can remember Dr. Martin Luther King, who kept preaching non-violence amid this division in our country. A man who faced so many obstacles and roadblocks, but he would not give up or be intimidated. A man faced mobs of people time and time again that wanted to silence him, but he would not be silenced.  He organized and knew how to treat people and that was with love, the love that could only be given by God.

A man who brought blacks, whites, Jews, Protestants, other clergy, the young and old together to cry out against the injustice in the South. Dr. King was a man that lived what the Bible said.

From Matthew 5:44, “But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you and persecute you.”\

(Taken from the weekly email from Fr. Jon Pedigo, Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County)

20. Pilgrimage Opportunities in 2020-2021

Come join our former pastor, Fr. George Aranha, who will be hosting three upcoming Pilgrimages for 2020 and 2021 which will be of interest to you!

(1) Eleven-day Pilgrimage to the Marian Shrines & Barcelona including Fatima, Avila, Loyola and Lourdes - October 5-15, 2020

(2) Twelve-day Pilgrimage to the Holy Land & Rome including a Papal audience February 1-12, 2021

(3) Twelve-day Pilgrimage to Eastern Europe, including Krakow, Prague, Vienna and Budapest September 13-24, 2021

For general information and photographs, please visit https://nativitypilgrimage.com and info@nativity pilgrimage.com
For brochures and registration forms, please visit: www.SantaTeresaChurch.com/pilgrimage
For more information and to register, please contact: Jen Vazquez: J...@SantaTeresaChurch.com
or call Jen at: 1-408-629-7777

21. Presider Schedules for the Presentation of the Lord, And Sunday Mass Readings

Sunday Mass readings (English): http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/012620.cfm
Sunday Mass readings (Spanish):    http://www.usccb.org/bible/lecturas/012620.cfm

5:00 p.m. Saturday: St. Albert the Great: Fr. Maurice (Fr. Stasys preaching) (Music: Paul Prochaska)
7:30 a.m. St. Thomas Aquinas:  Fr. Maurice (Fr. Stasys preaching) (Music: sing along with recorded music)
8:45 a.m. St. Thomas Aquinas: Msgr. John Sanderfeld (Fr. Stasys preaching before Mass) ( Music: singing with a live music group)
9:00 a.m. St. Albert the Great: Fr. Stasys (Music: Chris Lundin and SAG Choir)
9:00 a.m. Our Lady of the Rosary: Fr. Maurice (Fr. Stasys preaching) (Music: José Perez and Hispanic Coro)
10:30 a.m. Our Lady of the Rosary: Fr. Stasys (Music: Chris Lundin and OLR Choir)
10:30 a.m. St. Thomas Aquinas: Fr. Maurice (Music: Instrumental Ensemble and Women's Choir directed by Paul Prochaska)
Noon: St. Thomas Aquinas: Fr. TBD (Fr. Stasys preaching) (Music: Gregorian chant and Renaissance motets with St. Ann Choir)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

The eBulletin is an initiative of our parish Communications Board, whose ministry it is to improve communications in our parish.

As of today, our parish eBulletin is sent to 425 parish families! (closed (bouncing) accounts recently removed). Pass the word! Who will be Family No. 426? If you are interested in receiving the eBulletin on a weekly basis, send an email request to clu...@stanford.edu.  You will be added to "PaloAltoCatho...@googlegroups.com" which is used to send out the eBulletin each Friday morning.

Always Useful Information:
Parish Online Giving: https://www.myowngiving.com/Default.aspx?cid=357
Parish Elder Care Resources: Call/leave a message at the Pastoral Home Ministry (494-2496, ext. 22) Call a priest at the rectory at 327-8222
St. Thomas Aquinas Parish Online Calendar*: http://www.mychurchevents.com/calendar/calendar.aspx?ci=L6M7J4G1J4H2O9L6I3
Steeple Talk Newsletter: http://www.paloaltocatholic.net/index.cfm?load=page&page=202 (see left sidebar)
Diocese of San Jose: http://www.dsj.org/
The Valley Catholic (Diocesan newspaper: http://tvc.dsj.org
Diocese of San Jose EthicsPoint Hotline (1-888-325-7863) - to report financial misconduct
Diocese of San Jose Office for the Protection of Children and Vulnerable Adults:  (408) 983-0113 or protection@dsj.org
Vatican YouTube site: http://www.youtube.com/vatican
H20 Catholic News Service: http://www.h2onews.org/english.html
U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops: http://www.usccb.org/
Daily Scripture reflections: http://www.usccb.org/bible/reflections/
Mass Times While Traveling: http://www.masstimes.org/txt/
Courage (same-sex attraction support group): 650-450-2286 or email grc...@sbcglobal.net
Salt + Light Blog: http://www.saltandlighttv.org/blog
St. Vincent de Paul Auto Donation Phone number: 1-800-322-8284
Trafficking: National Human Trafficking Resource Center at 888-373-7888 (toll-free hotline 24 hours/day)
Trafficking: California Coalition to Abolish Slavery & Trafficking at 888-KEY-2FREEDOM. Texts can also be sent to “BE FREE,” or 233733.  (toll-free hotline 24 hours/day)
Catholic Charities (Diocese of San Jose): Elder Care Line and Homecare: (408) 831-0441
Catholic Charities (Diocese of San Jose): Senior Activity Centers, in San Jose and Sunnyvale (408) 270-4900
Catholic Charities (Diocese of San Jose): Behavior Health Clinic in downtown San Jose (408)-899-7160
Each Thursday: Mothers’ Prayers After 8:30 A.M. OLR Daily MasMothers Prayers is our name.  Mothers Prayers was started in England in November 1995 and has spread rapidly throughout the world with contacts in over 100 countries and has the approval, support and blessing of Christian leaders of all denominations. There are now thousands of groups around the world and we are one of them.  In a 20 minute prayer, we bring all the pain and the worries we have for our children to the Lord and we trust in His words 'Ask and you will receive'. Through this promise, the Lord is just waiting to take away pain and to bless and heal us and our children when we come to Him in Faith.
It takes place every Thursday morning right after 8:30am Mass at Our Lady of the Rosary Church, in Kerry’s Corner, and you are very welcome to join us. Questions? Call Justine Franklin at (650) 387-1653 or justine_...@yahoo.com

* If you know of events or recurring meetings which should be added to the calendar, please send them to clu...@stanford.edu, and we will work to get the calendar updated.

Dan Schutte.pdf