Parish eBulletin - Volume 13, No. 6, February 7, 2020

Chris Lundin

Feb 7, 2020, 11:04:58 AM2/7/20
to paloaltocatho...@googlegroups.com

St. Thomas Aquinas Parish
The Catholic Community of Palo Alto, California

St. Thomas Aquinas parish is a Roman Catholic community of disciples
working together for the glory of God and our spiritual growth in Jesus, the Christ.
With the guidance of the Holy Spirit, we live and share the Gospel
through worship, education and service.

Parish eBulletin - Volume 13, No. 6 - February 7, 2020

Wonderful New Parishioner-Led Volunteer Activity

Table of Contents:

1. TODAY: Funeral Mass for Laurie Cappiello
2. TOMORROW: Saturday, February 8: Dan Schutte
3. TOMORROW: Saturday, February 8: "Clergy Abuse and the Church: Where Do We Go From Here?”
4. Saturday, February 22:  The 22nd Annual Crab Dinner Dance Tickets Available Continuing THIS Weekend
5. Called To Be “Salt and Light” For The World
6. Wanted: Artists
7. Congratulations to Eliane and Armand Nuekermans On Your Lifetime Achievement
8. Sunday, February 9: High School Youth Ministry: No Session
9.  Tuesday. February 11:  Spirituality Tuesday Assembly: “Saint Therese of Lisieux  and her Little Way”
10. Wednesday, February 12: Confirmation Classes
11. Volunteer Opportunity: New Parishioner-Led Project: Take Them A Meal
12. Volunteer Opportunity: Pastoral Home Ministry
13. Volunteer Opportunity: Join The SAG Donuteers
14. Weekly Stewardship Report: Thank You For Sharing God’s Gifts!
15.  Want To Become A Catholic?
16. Tuesday, February 11: Peaceful Presence
17. Wednesday, February 26: Ash Wednesday - Drop Off Your Palms
18. Monday, February 17: Presidents’ Day
19. Wednesday, February 19: S.O.U.P, OLR Hall, 5:45 P.M.
20. Saturday, February 22Next Session Pastoral Garden Cleanup
21. Human Concerns: Saturday, February 22: Next Human Concerns Committee Meeting

Outside The Parish
22. Human Concerns: Catholic Bishops of Colorado Back Death Penalty Repea
23. Pilgrimage Opportunities in 2020-2021
24. Presider Schedules for the 5th Sunday in Ordinary TimeAnd Sunday Mass Readings

Bonus Information:   Dan Schutte PDF
——————————————————————————————————————————

1. TODAY: Funeral Mass for Laurie Cappiello

Lauretta (Laurie) Cappiello, age 97 (just shy of her 98th birthday) died on January 28th, at her home in Palo Alto. Laurie was born in the Bronx, NY on February 20k 1922, to Anthony Cappiello and Maria Cappiello (nee Porcelli), the 4th of 6 children.

There will be a Funeral Mass today, February 7, 2020 at St. Thomas Aquinas Church, 751 Waverley St., Palo Alto at 2:00 pm.

With only a high school education and limited college vocational training in bookkeeping, she and her sister Ginny went on to run two very successful businesses. The first, The Laurie Gene Shop, they opened in Yonkers, NY, after the war, was a lingerie shop that they sold for a profit when they moved out to California. In 1947, Laurie moved with her sister and parents and settled in Palo Alto, CA. In 1948, they purchased an existing office supply business and began University Art Center. Struggling at first, Laurie held an accounting job in order to help pay bills and keep food on the table. In 1957, their father passed away and Ginny got married and started her family and Laurie shouldered on building the business.

When Ginny returned in the 1970’s, the two worked to build the business to 5 thriving locations. During this heyday, they were admired as pioneers in the art materials industry and Laurie became the first women elected to the board of directors of the National Art Materials Trade Association in 1977, and was elected into the Hall of Fame in 1990. University Art and all who have worked, and continue to work there became Laurie’s love and family of which she has always been fiercely protective until the end. Laurie loved travelling, the beach, photography, painting and gardening. Laurie was not only a pioneer in business, but in how she lived her life. She turned to homeopathy early in life after suffering from an illness that caused temporary paralysis. She was an early “juicer”, she took daily supplements, exercised and did yoga. She never married and never had children, but became godmother to most of her nieces and nephews and adopted many stray humans and dogs that needed help or a home.

Laurie is predeceased by her parents Anthony and Maria Cappiello and her siblings: Matt Cappiello (Felicia), Marie Mayfield (Frank), Stan Cappiello (Lee), Virginia Biondi (Raymond), Joseph Cappiello (Barbara). She is survived by her many nieces, nephews, grand nieces, grand nephews, employees and her dog Missy.

Funeral services are through Cusimano Mortuary in Mountain View. In place of flowers, donations may be made to Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County; Palo Alto Art Center Foundation; San Jose Museum of Art.

2. TOMORROW: Saturday, February 8: Dan Schutte

All are invited to attend an 8:30 am Mass followed by 9:00 am sign inand hospitality in the Main Vestibule at St. Simon Church on Saturday, February 8. The topic for this session is “Ministry of Liturgy.” There will be a free-will offering at the door. Dan’s presentation will be from 9:30am – 11:30am. This is a morning of enrichment for liturgical ministers, not just for St. Simon Parish but for all parishes in our diocese and elsewhere. We are all familiar with Dan through his many great compositions, such as “Here I Am Lord,” “You Are Near,” and other songs. To better know how many to expect, RSVP to nora....@dsj.org or 650-494-2496 ext. 14.  See the flyer at the end of today’s eBulletin.

3. TOMORROW: Saturday, February 8: "Clergy Abuse and the Church: Where Do We Go From Here?”

A conversation with Rosemary Ellmer, Ph.D. on Saturday, February 8, 2020, from 3:00 - 4:30 pm at Our Lady of the Rosary Church Hall, 3233 Cowper St., Palo Alto

At the request of Bishop P.J. McGrath, in the fall of 2018 Dr. Rosemary Ellmer moderated the four diocese-wide listening sessions held to seek input from people in the pews on the pathway to reform and to listen to those victimized by clerical sexual abuse. A licensed clinical psychologist, Dr. Ellmer has worked for over 15 years at Santa Clara University both as an adjunct professor and a clinical psychologist and training director at the University’s counseling center.

4. Saturday, February 22:  The 22nd Annual Crab Dinner Dance Tickets Available Continuing THIS Weekend

The Knights of Columbus Crab Dinner Dance is only 3 weeks away!  This is always a great event for the parish and we urge everyone to plan on joining us.  Members of the Knights
will be selling tickets outside after Mass today.  Please look for them.  Tickets must be purchased in advance so we know how much food to order.
Tickets may be obtained from Knights of Columbus now or after Masses on Feb 1/2nd, Feb 8/9th and Feb 15/16th weekends.

The KofC Palo Alto Council of STA Parish is asking parishioners for donations of new or gently used items or services (carwashing,wine tasting party, babysitting hours, progressive dinner, event tickets, etc) for the silent auction table at the Feb 22nd, 2020 Crab Dinner Dance.

Please call Jerry Lucha  (650) 424-9660 or Charles Guenzer (650) 387-4268 to coordinate drop off of your donations.

5. Called To Be “Salt and Light” For The World

Pope Francis has said that all the baptized are missionary disciples and we are called to become the living Gospel in the world: with a holy life, he says, we can “flavor” the different environments and defend them from corruption, the way salt does. “But if Christians lose flavor and turn off our presence of salt and light, we lose effectiveness.”

Sadly, we seem to live in a world that turns its back on the light because it seems to prefer darkness and blindness. That is why the Church, we as Christians, need to be open, welcoming people, and not think only about ourselves, but go out to the “encounter” of our brothers and sisters in a variety of ways, especially in a society, which these days seems to seek its own welfare. Is it not common to hear, “I have enough problems of my own”?

This path is by no means easy. It may arouse misunderstandings, it may bring us pain and discomfort, it may test our strength and faith because it is certainly easier to compromise our values and faith and not be firm in our Christian identity. However, we have nothing to fear if we trust God and cooperate in letting Him manifest Himself in our lives even with all our weaknesses.

Our Master calls us to live our faith with strength and to be, in our daily lives, consistent with our identity as Christians so that we can be what He calls us to be: salt of the earth and light of the world, being men and women called to bear witness to the Gospel with our lives.

Jesus' message is strong if we really want to hear it. Living our Christianity halfway, so as to not bother others, or “lowering the rod” in the name of tolerance, is that not becoming insipid Christians? Is that not putting the light of Christ, which we received in Baptism, under the bushel basket?

In the words of St. John Paul II, we are called to be “...missionaries with gestures and words and, wherever we work and live, we will be signs of God's love, credible witnesses of Christ's loving presence (... ). Just as salt gives flavor to food and light illuminates darkness, so holiness gives full meaning to life, making it a reflection of the glory of God”.

Maria de Jesus Gutierrez, Pastoral Associate for Hispanic Ministry

6. Wanted: Artists

"Are you an artist?  If you would like to hang your work for a month in the St. Albert the Great Hospitality Center, please contact Ted Baer at tab...@sbcglobal.net or call 650-690-6732.

7. Congratulations to Eliane and Armand Nuekermans On Your Lifetime Achievement

Eliane and Armand Neukermans, faithful attendees at the 8:45 a.m. Merton Mass held at St. Thomas Aquinas Church each Sunday, will be honored by Avenidas on Sunday,  May 17. Congratulations!
8. Sunday, February 9: High School Youth Ministry: No Session

This weekend, February 9th, there won't be any meeting. We will be having our first social of the new year soon! Both Middle School and High School teens are welcome to attend on February 23. We will be going bowling! Please RSVP so we can plan accordingly. Email me at pierina....@dsj.org if you're interested!

9.  Tuesday. February 11:  Spirituality Tuesday Assembly: “Saint Therese of Lisieux  and her Little Way”

With our presenter Fr. Kevin Joyce.

Presenter: Fr. Kevin Joyce, a priest of the Diocese of San Jose, has a PhD in spirituality from the Catholic University of America. He serves at our Lady of Guadalupe Parish in San Jose and as a spiritual director and instructor at Saint Patrick’s Seminary and University in Menlo Park.

Description: Therese of Lisieux  died in 1897 at the age of 24. Within 30 years, millions of people had read her autobiography and were demanding that she be declared a saint. Her “little way” of spirituality made holiness appear to be accessible to anyone. In this presentation, Fr.  Kevin Joyce will explore her life and teachings.

10. Wednesday, February 12: Confirmation Classes

Please note there will be our regular class on Wednesday, February 12.

SAVE The DATE: Inviting ALL 2020 Confirmation Candidates to an Inspiring and Meaningful 1/2 day Retreat: Confirmation: It's Just the Beginning" on Saturday, March 14th, 8:30AM-1:30PM at the Thomas House (next door to St. Thomas Aquinas Church.) Contact Carmel Caligaris questions at ccali...@setonpaloalto.org

11. Volunteer Opportunity: New Parishioner-Led Project: Take Them A Meal

Please join a new parishioner-led project, which will provide Sunday dinner to our priests. Named, Take Them A Mealthe meal project is an outreach program that lets the parish priests know they are appreciated. To participate, parishioners cook and deliver a meal on the busiest day of the week for the priests, Sunday. If you choose to join, you will pick a date that is convenient for your schedule and prepare a meal for three; Fr. Stasys, Fr. Sev, and Fr. Maurice. There are no food allergies, although dietary stipulations include no beef, no pork, low salt and not too spicy.

Delivery is set on Sunday between 12:00 PM and 5:00 PM to the Saint Albert the Great rectory. Located in the rectory carport is a blue Igloo cooler where prepared food will be placed inside. Our priests are not always home for dinner at 5 PM, but they are happy to reheat the meal when arriving back in the evening.

If you have further questions or you are ready to sign-up, please reach out to Julie Sanford at julsan@umich. edu or by phone, 408-829-8717. For Spanish speakers, please contact Raquel Fleischmann at rqbe...@gmail.com or by telephone @ 650-739-5830

12. Volunteer Opportunity: Pastoral Home Ministry

I am looking for more volunteers to assist in our Pastoral Home Ministry. If you are interested in bringing Communion to those homebound or in assisted living faculties and nursing homes, contact me at fon...@hotmail.com.

Mary Fong, Pastoral Home Ministry

13. Volunteer Opportunity: Join The SAG Donuteers

Happy New Year!  The current donut schedule goes through the end of January and we just lost a long time volunteer, so we really need new volunteers.  We have five, but ideally would have eight or nine.  we really are in desperate need of a few families to help out.  If we don't get more families, we might need to switch to offering donuts just twice a month.

Saint Albert the Great Church is looking for volunteers to help with donuts after the 9am Sunday mass.  Commitment is 6-8 Sundays a year. Responsibilities include:

1) purchasing donuts, milk, orange juice and bringing these to the hospitality center
2) preparing coffee
3) supervising donut and coffee gathering after 9 am mass
4) light clean up

For more information (or to volunteer): contact Brigid Farrell at Farrell...@hotmail.com

14. Weekly Stewardship Report: Thank You For Sharing God’s Gifts!

Our Weekly Offering:
   February 2 actual: $ 12,881
           Weekly Goal: $12,000

15.  Want To Become A Catholic?

Thinking about becoming Catholic or receiving the Sacraments of First Eucharist or Confirmation? Do you have an interest in becoming Catholic? Were you baptized as a child but have not received the Sacraments of Eucharist and Confirmation?

Our adult inquiry sessions continue all year long. For more information about the R.C.I.A. process, please contact Deacon Daniel Hernandez at daniel.h...@dsj.org or Susan Olsen at susanle...@dsj.org

16. Tuesday, February 11: Peaceful Presence

Peaceful Presence: Multifaith Prayers for Peace & Justice (of which our parish is an active member)
Tuesday, February 11, 7-7:30pm
Unitarian Universalist Church, 505 E. Charleston, Palo Alto

Click here for details about our monthly gathering for multifaith prayers and strength in difficult times.

17. Wednesday, February 26: Ash Wednesday - Drop Off Your Palms

Ash Wednesday is February 26. Drop off your old palms in the baskets at church by Sunday, February 23rd so we can collect them to burn.

18. Monday, February 17: Presidents’ Day

Monday, February 17th, is Presidents' Day.  The Pastoral Center will be close for the holiday but the Daily Mass Schedule will remain unchanged.

19. Wednesday, February 19: S.O.U.P, OLR Hall, 5:45 P.M.

We will have S.O.U.P. (Sharing Ourselves with Undernourished People) at 5:45 p.m. in the OLR Hall.

20. Saturday, February 22Next Session Pastoral Garden Cleanup

Our next work day is planned for the 4th Saturday in February, the 22th, from 9 to 11:00am (or however much time you can spare).  We’re skipped December due to the holidays and January due to staffing limitations.

Thanks to those who came on Saturday, November 23.  Much good work was done.

Please join us for donuts and goodies and whatever good work you will do. This is just behind the Pastoral Center at 3290 Middlefield Road. Easy parking; easy working.

21. Human Concerns: Saturday, February 22: Next Human Concerns Committee Meeting

We will again gather at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, February 22 in the OLR Hall to work on various human concerns initiatives.  The January 25 was canceled to allow HCC members of attend Anne Ackerman’s funeral Mass. All are welcome.

Outside The Parish

22. Human Concerns: Catholic Bishops of Colorado Back Death Penalty Repeal

DENVER, Colo. — The Catholic bishops of Colorado have backed a bipartisan bill to repeal the death penalty that appears set to become law, after five previous attempts failed.

“I urge all Coloradans to support the effort to repeal the death penalty and help bring about a culture in our state that respects all life,” Bishop Stephen Berg of Pueblo said in a statement to the Pueblo Chieftain newspaper.

“The Catholic Church has long taught that every person, whether they are unborn, sick, or sinful, has a God-given dignity that cannot be erased or taken away. Yes, it can be marred, but it cannot be blotted out in the eyes of God,” Bishop Berg said.

23. Pilgrimage Opportunities in 2020-2021

Come join our former pastor, Fr. George Aranha, who will be hosting three upcoming Pilgrimages for 2020 and 2021 which will be of interest to you!

(1) Eleven-day Pilgrimage to the Marian Shrines & Barcelona including Fatima, Avila, Loyola and Lourdes - October 5-15, 2020

(2) Twelve-day Pilgrimage to the Holy Land & Rome including a Papal audience February 1-12, 2021

(3) Twelve-day Pilgrimage to Eastern Europe, including Krakow, Prague, Vienna and Budapest September 13-24, 2021

For general information and photographs, please visit https://nativitypilgrimage.com and info@nativity pilgrimage.com
For brochures and registration forms, please visit: www.SantaTeresaChurch.com/pilgrimage
For more information and to register, please contact: Jen Vazquez: J...@SantaTeresaChurch.com
or call Jen at: 1-408-629-7777

24. Presider Schedules for the 5th Sunday in Ordinary TimeAnd Sunday Mass Readings

Sunday Mass readings (English):  http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/020920.cfm
Sunday Mass readings (Spanish):    http://www.usccb.org/bible/lecturas/020920.cfm

5:00 p.m. Saturday: St. Albert the Great: Fr. Sev (Music: Chris Lundin)
7:30 a.m. St. Thomas Aquinas:  Fr. Maurice (Music: sing along with recorded music)
8:45 a.m. St. Thomas Aquinas: Fr. Larry Percell ( Music: singing with a live music group)
9:00 a.m. St. Albert the Great: Fr. Sev (Music: Chris Lundin and SAG Choir)
9:00 a.m. Our Lady of the Rosary: Fr. Stasys (Music: José Perez and Hispanic Coro)
10:30 a.m. Our Lady of the Rosary: Fr. Maurice (Music: Chris Lundin and OLR Choir)
10:30 a.m. St. Thomas Aquinas: Fr. Sev (Fr. Stasys preaching) (Music: Instrumental Ensemble and Women's Choir directed by Paul Prochaska)
Noon: St. Thomas Aquinas: Fr. TBD (Music: Gregorian chant and Renaissance motets with St. Ann Choir)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

The eBulletin is an initiative of our parish Communications Board, whose ministry it is to improve communications in our parish.

As of today, our parish eBulletin is sent to 425 parish families! (closed (bouncing) accounts recently removed). Pass the word! Who will be Family No. 426? If you are interested in receiving the eBulletin on a weekly basis, send an email request to clu...@stanford.edu.  You will be added to "PaloAltoCatho...@googlegroups.com" which is used to send out the eBulletin each Friday morning.

Always Useful Information:
Parish Online Giving: https://www.myowngiving.com/Default.aspx?cid=357
Parish Elder Care Resources: Call/leave a message at the Pastoral Home Ministry (494-2496, ext. 22) Call a priest at the rectory at 327-8222
St. Thomas Aquinas Parish Online Calendar*: http://www.mychurchevents.com/calendar/calendar.aspx?ci=L6M7J4G1J4H2O9L6I3
Steeple Talk Newsletter: http://www.paloaltocatholic.net/index.cfm?load=page&page=202 (see left sidebar)
Diocese of San Jose: http://www.dsj.org/
The Valley Catholic (Diocesan newspaper: http://tvc.dsj.org
Diocese of San Jose EthicsPoint Hotline (1-888-325-7863) - to report financial misconduct
Diocese of San Jose Office for the Protection of Children and Vulnerable Adults:  (408) 983-0113 or protection@dsj.org
Vatican YouTube site: http://www.youtube.com/vatican
H20 Catholic News Service: http://www.h2onews.org/english.html
U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops: http://www.usccb.org/
Daily Scripture reflections: http://www.usccb.org/bible/reflections/
Mass Times While Traveling: http://www.masstimes.org/txt/
Courage (same-sex attraction support group): 650-450-2286 or email grc...@sbcglobal.net
Salt + Light Blog: http://www.saltandlighttv.org/blog
St. Vincent de Paul Auto Donation Phone number: 1-800-322-8284
Trafficking: National Human Trafficking Resource Center at 888-373-7888 (toll-free hotline 24 hours/day)
Trafficking: California Coalition to Abolish Slavery & Trafficking at 888-KEY-2FREEDOM. Texts can also be sent to “BE FREE,” or 233733.  (toll-free hotline 24 hours/day)
Catholic Charities (Diocese of San Jose): Elder Care Line and Homecare: (408) 831-0441
Catholic Charities (Diocese of San Jose): Senior Activity Centers, in San Jose and Sunnyvale (408) 270-4900
Catholic Charities (Diocese of San Jose): Behavior Health Clinic in downtown San Jose (408)-899-7160
Each Thursday: Mothers’ Prayers After 8:30 A.M. OLR Daily MasMothers Prayers is our name.  Mothers Prayers was started in England in November 1995 and has spread rapidly throughout the world with contacts in over 100 countries and has the approval, support and blessing of Christian leaders of all denominations. There are now thousands of groups around the world and we are one of them.  In a 20 minute prayer, we bring all the pain and the worries we have for our children to the Lord and we trust in His words 'Ask and you will receive'. Through this promise, the Lord is just waiting to take away pain and to bless and heal us and our children when we come to Him in Faith.
It takes place every Thursday morning right after 8:30am Mass at Our Lady of the Rosary Church, in Kerry’s Corner, and you are very welcome to join us. Questions? Call Justine Franklin at (650) 387-1653 or justine_...@yahoo.com

* If you know of events or recurring meetings which should be added to the calendar, please send them to clu...@stanford.edu, and we will work to get the calendar updated.

Lauretta Rose Cappiello

Dan Schutte.pdf